• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Finishing journey short on Advance Single

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
19 Apr 2018
Messages
207
I had an Advance Single from Chorley to Manchester Piccadilly for tomorrow morning.

I’ve just swapped it to a later service using Seatfrog.

Anyway, I want to get off at Deansgate now and not Manchester Piccadilly as I need to get a tram to Chorlton.

Does anyone know if I’d be allowed to do this despite my ticket not saying Manchester stations?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
19 Apr 2018
Messages
207
Okay, thanks guys. I’ll walk from Piccadilly to St Peter’s Square.

It looks like tickets from Salford Crescent to Deansgate are £2.45 with a railcard so it comes down to weather I’d be prepared to pay that to save a walk to St Peter’s Square!
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,651
Location
Merseyside
There is every chance tickets won't be getting checked when you get off at Deansgate. However there is that risk they might be. I have found the staff at Oxford Road to be for accommodating when it comes to things like this.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,741
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Okay, thanks guys. I’ll walk from Piccadilly to St Peter’s Square.

It looks like tickets from Salford Crescent to Deansgate are £2.45 with a railcard so it comes down to weather I’d be prepared to pay that to save a walk to St Peter’s Square!

I would be wary of buying short fares to get through gate lines these days. It tends to attract attention.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,130
Could the OP buy a ticket from Manchester Piccadilly to Deansgate, and still catch the same train alighting at Deansgate?
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,824
but Northern are notoriously finiticky about this.
The OP can't be prosecuted for leaving the train early, only (theoretically) charged an excess fare if they might be saving something but the Advance fares from Chorley look to be the same to both Deansgate and Piccadilly so it's difficult to see any financial benefit.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,324
There is every chance tickets won't be getting checked when you get off at Deansgate.
Are you sure about this? My experience of Deansgate (on the shoulder of the morning peak, but admittedly not in the last few months) is that as well as the barriers leading to the street there is normally someone checking tickets on the footbridge to the tram.
 

simple simon

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
728
Location
Suburban London
I once tried to do this with a special fare advance from St Pancras SouthEastern High Speed to the Kent Coast. The issue is that as Gants Hill is my home station so to get to St Pancras I must travel via Stratford, and to reduce overall journey times I wanted to use this station as the London railhead.

Alas, I was not allowed to do this. I had to go to St Prancras - and pay a full fare each way between Stratford and St Pancras. I did the latter on the Underground as the High Speed option is more expensive.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,296
You'd be OK at Oxford Rd. Far closer to St Peter's Square
So what you're saying is not to finish short on the Advance Single from Chorley to Manchester Piccadilly at Deansgate, but to do so at Manchester Oxford Road instead? Is that authoritative? :s
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
The (unpublished) policy of the rail industry is that although Advance tickets are intended to be used only between the origin and destination stations shown on the ticket, there may be occasions where a passenger joins the correct train but at a later station, or alights earlier than the indicated destination. Although this is not strictly in accordance with the rules for Advance tickets, the Rail industry has agreed that in such cases, no additional fare should be charged (unless there is clear evidence of intent to try and avoid a higher fare).

This said, we're talking about Northern here who are often a law unto themselves....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top