beeboohelp
New Member
Hi everyone,
I’m hoping someone can help me understand my position and what my options are. I’ve received a settlement letter from CrossCountry after being stopped on 21st October for travelling with a ticket that included a Railcard discount, but my Railcard had expired without me realising.
I don’t use trains often and genuinely thought my Railcard was still valid. I was travelling from Birmingham to Leeds that day for a job interview, and that’s when the officer informed me the Railcard had expired in June. As soon as I found out, I renewed it immediately the same day.
Following their investigation, they identified four journeys I had taken after the expiry date where discounted tickets were used. For all of these journeys, I did purchase tickets, but at the discounted rate in error. These are the journeys I took:
I’m quite shocked at the size of the amount, as I always bought tickets and the error was simply that my Railcard had expired without me realising. I’m feeling very overwhelmed, and I want to avoid anything escalating to prosecution, but the cost is a huge amount for me to manage.
My questions:
Thank you in advance
I’m hoping someone can help me understand my position and what my options are. I’ve received a settlement letter from CrossCountry after being stopped on 21st October for travelling with a ticket that included a Railcard discount, but my Railcard had expired without me realising.
I don’t use trains often and genuinely thought my Railcard was still valid. I was travelling from Birmingham to Leeds that day for a job interview, and that’s when the officer informed me the Railcard had expired in June. As soon as I found out, I renewed it immediately the same day.
Following their investigation, they identified four journeys I had taken after the expiry date where discounted tickets were used. For all of these journeys, I did purchase tickets, but at the discounted rate in error. These are the journeys I took:
- Fri 21 Oct – Birmingham New Street → Horsforth (via Leeds)
- Sun 16 Nov – Birmingham Moor Street → London Marylebone
- Sun 16 Nov – London Marylebone → Birmingham Moor Street
- Sat 19 Jul – Birmingham New Street → Nottingham (open return)
- £371.10 in “fares avoided”
- £300 in investigation/administration costs
Total: £671.10
- They do not reduce or discount settlement amounts
- The settlement is a discretionary alternative to prosecution
- If I don’t pay in full, the case may go to court
- They can only offer a financial assessment for instalments, not a reduction
I’m quite shocked at the size of the amount, as I always bought tickets and the error was simply that my Railcard had expired without me realising. I’m feeling very overwhelmed, and I want to avoid anything escalating to prosecution, but the cost is a huge amount for me to manage.
My questions:
- Is there any further avenue to challenge the settlement amount, especially since it wasn’t deliberate fare evasion?
- Has anyone experienced similar with CrossCountry and had any success getting the admin fee reduced?
- Realistically, is it safer to pay the settlement even if I disagree with the calculation?
Thank you in advance