• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fine awarded on way to a barriered station

Status
Not open for further replies.

bababababababa

New Member
Joined
20 Mar 2026
Messages
1
Location
lichfield
On usual commute to Birmingham New Street from Lichfield Trent Valley, I have the past month of ticket receipts for my commute. New Street is a barriered station. This was the first time I have been fined and I clearly could not leave the station without a ticket. The train I usually take was cancelled so I took the train afterwards and forgot to book the train and got fined within 10 minutes of getting on. Would there be any chance in appealing this fine? (£50)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,832
Can you show us the paperwork you were given (but with your details and the reference number blanked out) and then people will be better able to give you advice
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,645
Location
LBK
On usual commute to Birmingham New Street from Lichfield Trent Valley, I have the past month of ticket receipts for my commute. New Street is a barriered station. This was the first time I have been fined and I clearly could not leave the station without a ticket. The train I usually take was cancelled so I took the train afterwards and forgot to book the train and got fined within 10 minutes of getting on. Would there be any chance in appealing this fine? (£50)
Only on a technical basis, becuase that is a stonewall reason to issue a penalty fare. Please show us the notice with your name redacted.
 

MarlowDonkey

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,882
. The train I usually take was cancelled so I took the train afterwards and forgot to book the train and got fined within 10 minutes of getting on
Don't you mean "buy a ticket"? Are Advance tickets (those tied to a specific train) really available for a short commuter run?

Provided the ticket is "Anytime", it's usable on any train for that day.
 

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,654
Don't you mean "buy a ticket"? Are Advance tickets (those tied to a specific train) really available for a short commuter run?

Provided the ticket is "Anytime", it's usable on any train for that day.
I'm reading the OP doesn't buy tickets until last minute and as the train was cancelled hadn't bothered until the next service had arrived.

Advance tickets are available on very short commuter routes. I've bought them from Leeds to Kirkstall Forge - about 4 miles.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,356
On usual commute to Birmingham New Street from Lichfield Trent Valley, I have the past month of ticket receipts for my commute. New Street is a barriered station. This was the first time I have been fined and I clearly could not leave the station without a ticket. The train I usually take was cancelled so I took the train afterwards and forgot to book the train and got fined within 10 minutes of getting on. Would there be any chance in appealing this fine? (£50)
as well as the request to upload the copy of the Penalty Fare it might help to upload a copy of any ticket(s) you had for travel on the day this happened - blank out personal details / ref numbers and the ticket ref number
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Don't you mean "buy a ticket"? Are Advance tickets (those tied to a specific train) really available for a short commuter run?
Not this specific one, but there are quite a range of short commuter runs with advance fares, particularly in Northern-land.
 

andy33gmail

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2025
Messages
302
Location
cambridgeshire
To be fair, the tactic of verifying your train actually exists before buying your ticket makes sense … I sometimes do it if I want to arrive on time or abandon … but you still need to buy before stepping on
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
To be fair, the tactic of verifying your train actually exists before buying your ticket makes sense … I sometimes do it if I want to arrive on time or abandon … but you still need to buy before stepping on
Bear in mind this is Lichfield to New St, on the pretty high frequency CrossCity Line. There is no excuse for not purchasing a ticket when arriving into the station through whatever means they wish.
 

X-City-WM

Member
Joined
28 Mar 2022
Messages
71
Location
Birmingham
There are no advance tickets on the Cross City line. However, they are more expensive during the morning peak and can be cheaper on evenings (eg travelling after 7pm).
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
I think this discussion is just going to confuse things, this case is really simple. They were issued a penalty fare because they did not present a valid ticket, which is a perfectly valid reason to issue a penalty fare. It is possible however that a mistake was made when issuing the penalty fare that makes it invalid.

@bababababababa we need to see the penalty fare notice to be able to assist further. Redact your personal details but we need to see everything else.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top