• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Loco-Hauled Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
3520-3525 were the Mark 2E FO(T) vehicles that were converted (as I recall) for use on sleeper services.
They did make the odd appearance on the long distance sets I believe. Anglia used one in a Norwich push-pull set.


6720-6724 (as referenced above in the set formations) were successively converted from Mark 2D TSOs to TSO(T), then RMB and finally RFB. Renumbering was:
5622 - 6602 - 6652 - 6720
5627 - 6610 - 6660 - 6721
5736 - 6611 - 6661 - 6722
5641 - 6612 - 6662 - 6723
5721 - 6615 - 6665 - 6724
So they were recoded RFB then? My understanding was the reseating to first class retained the RMBT code but at least I did remember correctly about the progression from TSOT and that they were MK2D vehicles.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,854
So they were recoded RFB then? My understanding was the reseating to first class retained the RMBT code but at least I did remember correctly about the progression from TSOT and that they were MK2D vehicles.
I'm not 100% certain on the RFB coding. They've also been quoted as RMBF!
 

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2016
Messages
3,199
I think we're talking about different vehicles, I'm talking about the Mk2D RMBT converted from Mk2D TSOT by extending the catering area rather than the Mk2F RFB converted from Mk2F FO and used on XC and certain Anglia Mk2 sets. Anglia did have at least one Mk2E FO(T) but afaik they had no Mk2D RMBT.

Thanks, I hadn’t picked up on that subtlety.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
Thanks, I hadn’t picked up on that subtlety.

No worries, just thought I'd better make clear the vehicles I was referring to. Coaching stock is such a minefield of types some of which are very similar but coded differently and some of which seem quite distinct yet have seperate codes (at least, I can think of a couple of examples to suit either assertion but you get the gist).
 

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2016
Messages
3,199
No worries, just thought I'd better make clear the vehicles I was referring to. Coaching stock is such a minefield of types some of which are very similar but coded differently and some of which seem quite distinct yet have seperate codes (at least, I can think of a couple of examples to suit either assertion but you get the gist).

From various videos of the FGW loco hauled rakes, about half of the standard class coaches appear to be conversions from FOs with seven window bays per side rather than eight. I know a proportion of the Mk2E FO build was converted to high-density standard class (mostly airline seating which must have been horrible with the thick window columns!) but I thought they were all deployed in Anglia?
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,371
From various videos of the FGW loco hauled rakes, about half of the standard class coaches appear to be conversions from FOs with seven window bays per side rather than eight. I know a proportion of the Mk2E FO build was converted to high-density standard class (mostly airline seating which must have been horrible with the thick window columns!) but I thought they were all deployed in Anglia?
There were two fleets of such vehicles.

The Mark 2f coaches in the 68xx series went to Anglia. These had a high density seating layout.
The Mark 2d coaches in the 62xx series went to Great Western. These had a lower density layout.

A bit more discussion about them here and indeed the work on the FGW coaches in the early 2000s. https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-and-hauling-mk2-coaches.203581/#post-4541839
 

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2016
Messages
3,199
There were two fleets of such vehicles.

The Mark 2f coaches in the 68xx series went to Anglia. These had a high density seating layout.
The Mark 2d coaches in the 62xx series went to Great Western. These had a lower density layout.

Thanks
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
From various videos of the FGW loco hauled rakes, about half of the standard class coaches appear to be conversions from FOs with seven window bays per side rather than eight. I know a proportion of the Mk2E FO build was converted to high-density standard class (mostly airline seating which must have been horrible with the thick window columns!) but I thought they were all deployed in Anglia?
Didn't Anglia have Mk2F ex-FOs re-seated to 74 standard class seats?

I believe the FGW ones would be the 2D FOs which I think ended up with 58 standard class seats
 

40068

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2014
Messages
14
I’m almost certain there were also a couple of very decrepid Mark 1 RBKs in faded Intercity Swallow livery, presumably released from Anglia IC services. Does anyone remember how they were deployed? I’ve seen a YT video of a GWT day service passing through Dawlish around 2000ish with one of these vehicles but I haven’t found anything specific about their history - presumably the last two Mark 1 catering vehicles (outside of EMUs) by quite a big margin.

Edit - here‘s a photo on Flickr, presumably before the refresh of the Mk2 fleet but well into the FGW ‘fag packet’ era - interestingly this is a Mark 1 RMB which is well beyond its time.

I travelled in one of those Mark 1 buffets in September 1999 from Bristol to Chippenham on a service to Paddington. The hauled set was replacing a HST.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
I travelled in one of those Mark 1 buffets in September 1999 from Bristol to Chippenham on a service to Paddington. The hauled set was replacing a HST.
There was at least one Mk1 RMB in IC Swallow colours doing the rounds on GW in 1999, we had a thread about the last Mk1s in mainline service last year I think but I cannot recall whether it was Anglia or GW who had the last use of Mk1s in front line service.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top