• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW hst Railtour 25th Spetember 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 33

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2009
Messages
2,362
Reguarding the tour. Has anyone seen any info about just being able to the bristol bit.

A mini-tour giving people the opportunity to do just the Bristol lines would be good, in particular the Portishead/Portbury branch. Though I don't think this will be available. I expect the large majority of people on the tour will want to stay on the train to travel along that branch.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
A mini-tour giving people the opportunity to do just the Bristol lines would be good, in particular the Portishead/Portbury branch. Though I don't think this will be available. I expect the large majority of people on the tour will want to stay on the train to travel along that branch.

Especially seeing that otherwise you'd be paying Chingfinder prices to do something that anyone can do every half hour from Paddington anyway.
 

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
Klambert, if you have orgasms over a Paxman Valenta engine, then I think that:

1. You need psychiatric help
2. You're in the wrong forum and you should consider going to WNXX.

I for one love the HSTs for what they are, they're my "local" TOCs long distance train, I don't care whether it has a VP185, Paxman Valenta or MTU engine in the power cars, all I give a damned about is the fact it gets me from A-Z calling at the required shacks in between and gets me there on time.

Firstly I dont have orgasms over a valenta I just prefer them. Secondly having a preference is not an orgasm.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Firstly I dont have orgasms over a valenta I just prefer them. Secondly having a preference is not an orgasm.

I've never understood why people who don't have any particular preference for one sort of traction over another seem to think that those who do are idiots or 'wrong' in some way. Personally I wouldn't pay a penny to ride on a tram from London to Bristol (something I could do every half hour if I wanted), unless that tram was different from the normal sets in some significant way. Valentas would be just such a way, but it's too late for that now.

You might as well charter a 333 for a 'railtour' from Skipton to Leeds. Sad thing is, you'd probably get some people who would actually fall for this.
 

43167

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2010
Messages
1,021
Location
Keighley
This is quite appealing to me. Thought they may have left a TS in the set, though they may do if demand in Standard Class is sufficant to warrant it.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Being picky, but you can't exactly turn up for an HST every half an hour at Paddington that goes via Melksham. Nor one that goes via Avonmouth ;)
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Being picky, but you can't exactly turn up for an HST every half an hour at Paddington that goes via Melksham. Nor one that goes via Avonmouth ;)

True, but this wouldn't be enough to tempt me onto this tour.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Each to their own, as they say. I still haven't booked yet, I've had to put it off for a while longer as there's other stuff the same money needs to be used for.
 

badger1badger

Member
Joined
24 May 2010
Messages
574
Location
Leeds
I quite fancy doing a railtour, having never done one, but the thought of a load of idiots hanging out of the windows screaming and waving their arms really puts me off. So I'd be more likely to do this than one with a 31, a 20, a 37 AND a Deltic on the front, and 10 Mk Is on the back!

We went on the DELTIC tour at spring bank over the S & C went first class all the way - first class in decent coaches so no ' cranks ' or enthusiasts at that end quite nice to relax in the big comfy chairs - but admit that I did wander up thro standard to the front where I listened to the engine screaming at 97mph on the WCML - then went back to the second from back coach - try the tours it really is very good

Cheers

Paul
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Modern Railways says there are part fares for both Avonmouth & Portbury or just Portbury, but I can't find any info on the Pathfinder website. Obviously I'd expect them to be right given it's being run in conjunction with them, but does anyone have any confirmation?
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Pathfinder have confirmed that on the relevant threads on the WNXX forum.

I'm not on this at all, I'm in Norfolk enjoying trains which make a proper amount of noise!
 

Foxhound

Member
Joined
5 May 2010
Messages
96
Location
Plymouth
I've never understood why people who don't have any particular preference for one sort of traction over another seem to think that those who do are idiots or 'wrong' in some way.

Even 'normals' (sic) that I know seem to understand that the sound a particular engine makes is somehow more appealing than that made by another 'if that's what you're into'. They don't think I'm 'wrong'. It's odd that afficianados of railways should feel that way.

Modern Railways says there are part fares for both Avonmouth & Portbury or just Portbury, but I can't find any info on the Pathfinder website.

Did Avonmouth with 40035 in March 1984, courtesy of Mr Watts. Much more fun than a tram, especially a much muffled one.

but the thought of a load of idiots hanging out of the windows screaming and waving their arms really puts me off

It's that 'i' word again. *Tsk*. Each to their own, I say. If 'bellowing/flailing' is not your bag, so be it, but there is a generation of enthusiasts who will show their appreciation for the traction in such a way. Tour organisers who now frown upon such activity 'on the grounds of H&S' are falling into step with the nanny state. We should all be accountable for our own actions and be adult enough to know that a tree in the face at 90mph will hurt. As it is, several of the people organising or stewarding such tours are guilty as hell of doing it themselves in the '80s, and often with excessive behaviour beyond the odd 'My Lords!' thrown in.

no ' cranks '

Without whom 55022 wouldn't be back on the mainline because it is precisely those 'cranks' who shell out time and time again to keep her running....

Anyhow, if HSTs are your bag, or if that piece of track remains un-highlighted in your rail atlas, then go for it and enjoy it. Just not my thing.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I'm considering doing this tomorrow from Bristol Parkway. Is anyone from the forum going to be on board?
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Had a great afternoon on board with members from Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways, Portishead Rail Group and the First Great Western Coffee Shop forum. Bumped into lots of familiar faces (and some infamous people I know from YouTube and this forum's past). Very good trip and an enjoyable two and a half hours, but the quietest Railtour I've ever done!

It was also a normal HST with 2.5 First class coaches (including buffet/kitchen) and the rest Standard. 2+8 IIRC.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top