• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW advance fares on last train

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimTraveller

New Member
Joined
5 May 2015
Messages
3
I book many of the last trains from Paddington to Bath, dep 23.30. Off-peak, advance purchases are often as low as £14.50 or £17 single. However, they have suddenly made the advance fare for the 23.30 a ridiculous £55. When I queried it with First GW I was given the usual fob-off about a limited number of advance tickets, probably all sold, etc. But it seems to me that they are penalising those who are forced by work etc to take the last train. I am aware of the electrification works to Bath over the summer and the revised times, but even for dates before and after the work is due to take place, the last train is coming in at £55, rather than £17. Does anyone have any insights into this? Thank you,
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Super Offpeak at £32 single £56 return might be a better bet?
 
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,691
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Advance fares are for maximising income from spare seats. So if the train is full, they should be increased in price or removed entirely. I don't see that there is a massive problem with that, though it might be annoying if you have to use that train.
 

father_jack

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2010
Messages
1,557
Super Offpeak at £32 single £56 return might be a better bet?
There's clearly something wrong with the system if there's a £55 fare showing when the SSS is £32.20 but I saw a guy on a train today with a fixed time BTH-PAD for £73.50 around 1500........... (And he was on an earlier train) :cry:

But you have to remember that when you buy a "_______ only" (insert TOC) ticket they get all the money rather than divvying it up among all the companies that work the route. That's why there are various trains over what seem like exclusive lines (0609 BTH-GLC via BTM and 0700 CDF-MAN via BTM or the one each way a day XC that call at WSM just for example) to catch FGW money......
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
That's why there are various trains over what seem like exclusive lines (0609 BTH-GLC via BTM and 0700 CDF-MAN via BTM or the one each way a day XC that call at WSM just for example) to catch FGW money......

The 0609 was to pick up some senior Virgin Cross Country Managers and has just never been removed.
The 0700 and WSM services are to retain diversionary route knowledge.
 
Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
The 0700 from Cardiff also provides a key peak hour commuter service into Bristol. It runs where there would normally be a Great Western service, so I am not sure if it helps them out in terms of providing extra capacity if they would otherwise only be able to run a 2-car unit.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,037
Location
Gloucester
The 0700 from Cardiff also provides a key peak hour commuter service into Bristol. It runs where there would normally be a Great Western service, so I am not sure if it helps them out in terms of providing extra capacity if they would otherwise only be able to run a 2-car unit.

Indeed, and even that service (which is usually a single 220) is rammed! I'm a regular on it.

I'm planning on going to London today but the cheapest ticket is £28, highly irritating when there is already a replacement bus between Newport and Cardiff this weekend!
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
FGW basically broke the Advance Purchase system during the May fares round. They tried to load to many AP tiers across many flows.

I believe the issue is still not fully fixed for online outlets, with higher price points than those available from stations. I'd suggest checking AP availability at a staffed station. There's a chance lower tiers may be available from there.

Although it could be fixed now and FGW have just decided that the market will bear more expensive APs.

However I think there is no justification whatsoever to offer AP fares that are more expensive than the walk up ticket valid on the same train.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Indeed, and even that service (which is usually a single 220) is rammed! I'm a regular on it.

I'm planning on going to London today but the cheapest ticket is £28, highly irritating when there is already a replacement bus between Newport and Cardiff this weekend!

So you think that £28 is too much to get from Cardiff to London do you? :roll:
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
If someone buys an Advance ticket that's more expensive than the walk up single costs, whose fault is it? The passenger for not checking? FGW's for selling them? Or a bit of both?
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,638
Location
Merseyside
If someone buys an Advance ticket that's more expensive than the walk up single costs, whose fault is it? The passenger for not checking? FGW's for selling them? Or a bit of both?

I think it would be the TOC running ticket office in question that told you the ticket. This is because they have to sell you the cheapest appropriate ticket for the journey being made (unless of course the customers requests something) and if a walk up this cheaper then the advance, then it would be the walk up they should sell.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
If its on the FGW or other Mixing Desk site, I think it's the passenger. It was looking there that showed me the alternative.

And for all its faults, NR defaults to the cheapest - I think!
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
If its on the FGW or other Mixing Desk site, I think it's the passenger. It was looking there that showed me the alternative.

And for all its faults, NR defaults to the cheapest - I think!

But National Rail doesn't sell tickets.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
If its on the FGW or other Mixing Desk site, I think it's the passenger. It was looking there that showed me the alternative.

And for all its faults, NR defaults to the cheapest - I think!
Once you select 'Advance' it shows the prices next to the trains. In this case it shows the higher rate which I think is quite misleading!
 

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,286
Location
Connah's Quay
But National Rail doesn't sell tickets.
It does let you choose tickets. Most of the time, this lets you buy tickets with FGW without having to look at their ticket selector thing.

As such, it's reasonable to bring it up as an alternative to the works of thetrainline, WebTIS and Assertis.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
I book many of the last trains from Paddington to Bath, dep 23.30. Off-peak, advance purchases are often as low as £14.50 or £17 single. However, they have suddenly made the advance fare for the 23.30 a ridiculous £55. When I queried it with First GW I was given the usual fob-off about a limited number of advance tickets, probably all sold, etc. But it seems to me that they are penalising those who are forced by work etc to take the last train. I am aware of the electrification works to Bath over the summer and the revised times, but even for dates before and after the work is due to take place, the last train is coming in at £55, rather than £17. Does anyone have any insights into this? Thank you,

Does Sir Peter Hendy still live in Bath? A personal letter, after 16th July?:)
 

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
It does let you choose tickets. Most of the time, this lets you buy tickets with FGW without having to look at their ticket selector thing.

As such, it's reasonable to bring it up as an alternative to the works of thetrainline, WebTIS and Assertis.
Indeed. Quite a lot of people use National Rail to find tickets and purchase it through whatever website it sends them to.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,307
Location
Bolton
Advance fares are for maximising income from spare seats. So if the train is full, they should be increased in price or removed entirely.

Wrong! They're the main way in which some TOCs decide where their revenue is coming from and who goes on what trains, using price discrimination much more effectively than Off-Peak / Anytime ever does (don't believe me? Why are there so many empty trains leaving Euston in the evening peak, and people standing up at 1900?). The number of people travelling on other ticket types can only be vaguely estimated, and each TOC doing the pricing only gets a relatively small portion of what walk-up tickets earn. If the train is full, chances are it's because too many walk-up ticket holders wanted to use a train to which the TOC already allocated a sensible number of Advances :p

Some TOCs take a slightly more helpful view from the point of loadings, like Northern, on the basis that they don't really care as much about Advance tickets - but that does mean they lose out a lot because they have very empty trains and low ORCATs shares.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,691
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"

Got any evidence?

They're the main way in which some TOCs decide where their revenue is coming from and who goes on what trains, using price discrimination much more effectively than Off-Peak / Anytime ever does (don't believe me? Why are there so many empty trains leaving Euston in the evening peak, and people standing up at 1900?).

If VT were doing what you allege effectively this would not be the case. But it is, and it is because of the validities of walk-up tickets.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,307
Location
Bolton
Well you might think it is, but they never sell any cheap tickets for 17 : xx trains do they? The lowest tier is available on, for example, the 1920 Manchester service.

I haven't got any evidence I can share, but I think we both are too smart to believe the people in yield management care much if there's people standing on a train. Standees are profitable, and there's no effective way to make the TOC manage overcrowding if it's making them a lot of money. The only way that happens is of the TOC management want to try it as a way of reducing the heaps of bad press they're getting.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top