• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW 1st Eastbound Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

ess

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2010
Messages
573
FGW offer season tickets with 1st class eastbound only for local services from Reading etc. Does that mean Westbound is often empty? Why not offer a westbound only option too?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,293
Maybe its just that eastbound was underused and westbound was fine?
 

laird

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2009
Messages
129
Travelling to London in the morning boarding after Reading meant there was little or no chance of getting a seat, unless in First class.
Coming out from London you could either travel off peak or run with the other commuters from the lawn to get that prized favourite seat.
So the concept of a season ticket with First class one way and Standard class the other was born, or at least so the tale goes.

Whether it will ever be extended to Reading and the West is an interesting question, at the moment I believe it starts from Twyford?
 

bengolding

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
700
Location
Wentworth, Surrey
Are you sure about that? I know of someone who often gets a First Class monthly season from Paddington - Slough? They avoid the stoppers at all costs as I also find that the First compartment is hardly ever checked so is often a free-for-all, especially in the peaks.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Are you sure about that? I know of someone who often gets a First Class monthly season from Paddington - Slough? They avoid the stoppers at all costs as I also find that the First compartment is hardly ever checked so is often a free-for-all, especially in the peaks.

On one of the rare occasions I worked an evening Pad - Slough (to OXF I think), I had a complaint made against me that I was "trying to catch people out" after I checked tickets in 1st, as according to the lady on the STD season ticket I asked to pay up or shift, "Nobody ever did tickets in 1st before Slough".

She wrote in to complain about me. :roll:

Another to add to the collection <D
 

laird

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2009
Messages
129
There are from Twyford, Maidenhead and Slough faster (non-stopping) trains that perhaps would be easier to check tickets on, it is perhaps to these that the fare is primarily targetted.
There isn't much of an advantage to travelling First on a stopping Turbo save for the seat availability?

When I've been on the platform at Reading when these would go through at peak times it was noticeably light on passengers but I presume by Paddington would be full to bursting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top