• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Festive and Homely Waiting Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkender102

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
539
Location
Hawarden
I seem to recall in the 1990's returning home to North Wales from Glasgow (I was living up there during the week) around Christmas there was a station in the Lake District (possibly Oxenholme) with a waiting room with either a real fire or at least a log burner complete with a decorated Christmas Tree. It looked so homely and warm from the train and made you toes curl just looking at it - almost made me want to get off and spend a while there.

Does anybody remember and can confirm the Station? Also made me think - are their similar Stations with such a cosy and homely look both at Christmas or other times of the year? Kew Gardens Station always struck me as welcoming as it had a cosy looking pub on the Station platform (and still has I think) - also Chiswick with the Station Pub almost on the Platform.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

r37

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2017
Messages
83
Location
UK
It's not huge but Romsey has a lovely little waiting room with books and some old, interesting photos of the railway on the walls.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,061
Location
Sheffield
Don't know about Oxenholme in the 1990s, or Christmas decorations, but when I first started travelling by train there was no shortage of waiting rooms / station buffets with real coal fires. At some stations you could also keep nice and warm by standing next to a steam locomotive which was standing in the platform :)
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,762
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I seem to recall in the 1990's returning home to North Wales from Glasgow (I was living up there during the week) around Christmas there was a station in the Lake District (possibly Oxenholme) with a waiting room with either a real fire or at least a log burner complete with a decorated Christmas Tree. It looked so homely and warm from the train and made you toes curl just looking at it - almost made me want to get off and spend a while there.

I think you may be thinking of Penrith. ISTR it's still fairly homely but is an electric fire these days, though the old manual PIS board has gone (which surprised me as staff once told me it was listed).
 

jp1147

Member
Joined
17 Jun 2013
Messages
8
The waiting room at Peterborough in the late fifties when we had travelled from Market Harborough with our cheese and pickle sandwiches and our Ian Allen books to ogle at Streaks and other exotica only to turfed out into the cold by Station Staff!!!

Despite the fact that we were in possession of a valid Platform Ticket costing 1d.

These days it's "The Wating Room" on Whitby Station.

JP,ancient trainspotter!
 

mrcheek

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2007
Messages
1,607
I think you may be thinking of Penrith. ISTR it's still fairly homely but is an electric fire these days, though the old manual PIS board has gone (which surprised me as staff once told me it was listed).

They also have a ginger cat!
 

philthetube

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2016
Messages
4,195
Buxted was good last time I was there, books to borrow and a Jigsaw on the table to dabble at while waiting for your delayed Southern service.
 

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,849
Can't vote for Dewsbury's on the Down platform, closed while the barriers are installed (much appreciated during the freezing weather I can tell you......) and even at the best of times it's only marginally more inviting than your average outside toilet! The main building does tend to always have a tree through.
 

whhistle

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
2,636
I wonder whether it's just too much bother with H&S to have open fires.
I've been to a fair few waiting areas where the ticket office is located in the "booking hall/waiting room" that has a blocked off open fire. Seemed easy to open it up again and it wouldn't be unattended. Many pubs have them too, but means money, which many TOCs don't want to spend.

It's this sort of thing that makes me sad how our country has gone with H&S. MOre disadvantages than advantages I'd say.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top