RichmondCommu
Established Member
G'day everyone,
I'm looking for information on ferry van operation in the 1960s, from either Harwich or Dover. In particular I'm interested in the long (ish) wheel base vans that crossed over from the continent and whether they had to run in fully fitted trains or whether they could run in non fitted / partially fitted services.
Following on from the above any information on London destinations for ferry waghons would be much appreciated! I'm building a 00 gauge model railway very loosely based on the GOBLIN in the 1960s and I'm looking for scratch building projects for the winter. There certainly seem to have been quite a few wagons built in the late 1950s / early 1960s and these will be the basis of my model.
Transfesa had depots in Paddock Wood and Wavertree but I'm interested to know whether their wagons could have conceivably run to anywhere north of the Thames.
Finally, if anyone knows of any ferry wagons that have survived into preservation please let me know so I can at least have something to measure up and scale down. By all accounts Peak Rail had an Austrian built ferrry wagon in their possession back in 1991 but I don't whether it survived the move from Buxton when the whole operation moved further south.
Thanks for reading this. Any information would be gratefully received!
Kind regards,
Richmond Commuter!
I'm looking for information on ferry van operation in the 1960s, from either Harwich or Dover. In particular I'm interested in the long (ish) wheel base vans that crossed over from the continent and whether they had to run in fully fitted trains or whether they could run in non fitted / partially fitted services.
Following on from the above any information on London destinations for ferry waghons would be much appreciated! I'm building a 00 gauge model railway very loosely based on the GOBLIN in the 1960s and I'm looking for scratch building projects for the winter. There certainly seem to have been quite a few wagons built in the late 1950s / early 1960s and these will be the basis of my model.
Transfesa had depots in Paddock Wood and Wavertree but I'm interested to know whether their wagons could have conceivably run to anywhere north of the Thames.
Finally, if anyone knows of any ferry wagons that have survived into preservation please let me know so I can at least have something to measure up and scale down. By all accounts Peak Rail had an Austrian built ferrry wagon in their possession back in 1991 but I don't whether it survived the move from Buxton when the whole operation moved further south.
Thanks for reading this. Any information would be gratefully received!
Kind regards,
Richmond Commuter!
Last edited: