• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Feedback at interview for first job in train industry etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browny

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2015
Messages
10
Hi All

Just some advice really. I went for a Trainee Conductor role with London Midland. Did the tests etc and had an interview for the role. I feel the interview could of been a bit better... it was the first time I had a skills based interview so my examples were probably not the best. Never the less I thought I presented very well, if a tad naturally nervous. It was never the less good experience though.

Anyway I did not get offered the position and have asked for feedback, however so far after numerous emails and a couple of telephone calls, I have yet to receive any feedback. Reasons I was given were have been away and haven't spoken to the recruiting manager yet etc, etc. I don't want to pester them anymore. Has this happened to anyone else?

This is the first train industry position I have applied for, so do I give up or keep trying in the future?

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CromptonLad

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2015
Messages
57
Location
Birmingham
Don't rely on the TOCs to give you feedback. I asked two TOCs in my campaign. The first promised within a week, and the second said they would do so within two weeks. Both failed to do so; disappointing.

The flip side of the coin however has probably been written elsewhere: they're too busy and their HR depts have got to deal with the employees and the successful candidates not only from these particular campaigns but others too such as drivers, managers and office-based roles such as IT.
 

red2005

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
844
Location
north ish
Keep asking mate......railway HR can be notoriously slow though so i wouldn't worry too much just yet especially this soon after xmas etc :)
 

GadgetMan

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2012
Messages
981
You can do a Subject Access Request, in accordance with Section 7 of the Data Protection Act, to officially ask how you did. They then have 40 calendar days in which to respond to your request.

more info here: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-6-rights/subject-access-request/

They could, but if someone's looking to get into the industry and may find themselves reapplying to the same TOC do they really want to start quoting laws and p1ssing the HR department off?
 

Browny

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2015
Messages
10
Thanks all . I did have a feeling that it is probably a common occurrence amongst TOCs.

A shame on this occasion as I generally get along well at interviews. I shall move forward and take the experience onboard.
 

JohnFM

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2015
Messages
214
The OP has asked several times for feedback so he can tune his interview techniques for next time. It is unfair to keep him waiting. Exercising your legal rights does not come into consideration if and when determining if you are suitable as an employee.

Despite what you think, or fear, the simple fact is the individual is just a number and should not be penalised for doing what they are allowed to do, this is more transparent in larger organisations.

A Subject Access Request (SAR) is not just "quoting laws" but officially asking for feedback. The HR dept will be most familiar with them and be able to respond with no recourse at all to the individual.

The HR dept will be processing these on an almost daily basis anyway as they will see SAR's all the time. HR have to keep a record of SAR's received to show inspectors they are properly recording and processing requests and that they reply within the stipulated 40 calendar day regulations.

One more aint gonna make a difference.
 
Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
The problem with access requests is that it will pull every bit of information with your name on it. Whilst they may sound great it is just information.

IF there is a tick box on the end of the interviewers sheet that simply states "offer job Y/N" then all you will see is the tick.

IF a subjective decision has been made but not specifically written down then your still in the same boat.

When we get these kind of posts I do feel sorry for those who got knocked back but I do get the impression that it has been the right decision. People feel rightly aggrieved and want to get feedback but fail to realise that many people may be in the same position.

Browny,

From your post I get the impression that you already knew where you went wrong. Weak answers and nerves. Knowing yourself where you need improvement is a positive thing. Don't give up and now you know what to expect you can prepare a little better and hopefully nerves won't be an issue again. The only person stopping you from trying again will be you. Take this on the chin. Getting knocked back and accepting that is a skill in itself.

If you do contact them again ask if you can reapply in the future.
 

JohnFM

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2015
Messages
214
The problem with access requests is that it will pull every bit of information with your name on it.

Not when you state "feedback on interview dated . . . . ."

A SAR can be anything from "I want everything you have on me" to something more createive such as things written on a specific date.

I know this because I've handled many in my time from all angles.

If they have a record of the OP arriving for interview they they WILL have reasons for not being offered a position recorded.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
The problem with access requests is that it will pull every bit of information with your name on it. Whilst they may sound great it is just information.

IF there is a tick box on the end of the interviewers sheet that simply states "offer job Y/N" then all you will see is the tick.

IF a subjective decision has been made but not specifically written down then your still in the same boat.

When we get these kind of posts I do feel sorry for those who got knocked back but I do get the impression that it has been the right decision. People feel rightly aggrieved and want to get feedback but fail to realise that many people may be in the same position.

If things have been done properly the interviewing mangers have to write up their notes and submit them to HR. I have to when i interview and those notes are available to a candidate who asks.

Our interview forms are a standard print off pack that you fill in as you the candidate talks with a review/comment section at the end and a score out of 5 for several items. We have to justify why we have made a decision and record that decision in the knowledge it is open to scrutiny and challenge

the candidate can see all of this if they so request.
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
Our interview forms are a standard print off pack that you fill in as you the candidate talks with a review/comment section at the end and a score out of 5 for several items. We have to justify why we have made a decision and record that decision in the knowledge it is open to scrutiny and challenge

the candidate can see all of this if they so request.

Cheers Rich
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top