• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FC upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,287
Hi all,

Which companies allow SOS/SOR's in FC free of charge on weekends and bank holidays?

I know VT do, but do any others?


TPE?- Do they do £6 weekend first each way?
FGW?
GNER?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,287
Thanks for the replies Liam and Memorex, but I'm just wondering about the SOR bussiness, as I allready know about weekend first (but still need confo for TPE)
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,714
Location
London
FGW accept any standard ticket in Weekend First and as long as you tell and pay the guard you are permitted to sit in First Class.
 
T

Tom

Guest
Liam - VoyagerDude is talking about FREE First Class travel I'd assume - if it was in that case then any ticket (other than megatrain AP) is valid in FC upon payment of a £5 upgrade. ie, go and sit down and relax and pay later.... :lol:
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,287
Liam - VoyagerDude is talking about FREE First Class travel I'd assume - if it was in that case then any ticket (other than megatrain AP) is valid in FC upon payment of a £5 upgrade. ie, go and sit down and relax and pay later.... :lol:

Precisely. It's just that I could get some good fares in FC with a YP SOR on the weekend.

I've still not got a proper reply from VT yet, to say if they have banned YP discounts from Virgin Value Firsts, or it's just a fault on the website..

They say that the YP railcard is just valid with weekend first, and the value advance upgrade, but does the latter refer to upgrading a standard value single with weekend first, or just simply buying a value first ticket?

My biggest question though, if VT have banned YP railcards from having the upgrade, is why now? (Probably because i only bought my current railcard last Friday afternoon..):-x
 
T

Tom

Guest
Because you should be travelling standard class with the rest of us..... :lol:

It was probably a long term mistake that was never really noticed and no-one could be bothered to fix it until now.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,287
It was probably a long term mistake that was never really noticed and no-one could be bothered to fix it until now.

Well the main purpose TBH, of me purchasing the railcard, is to save money on Value Firsts..

Could i do something about VT withdrawing the discount, without saying anything on its website?

It says, on the T&Cs of the Value First tickets:

DISCOUNTS Standard railcard discounts apply to these fares with the exception of the Family Railcard. Child discounts are 50%.

It doesn't say anything about the YP railcard being barred from having the 34% discount.

I'm surprised in this day and age, that their isn't a silly law which prevents senior railcard holders getting a discount on FC tickets, if YP holders don't.
 
T

Tom

Guest
The idea of a railcard is saving money - not just on a specific ticket. ;)

I'd suggest you go down to a ticket office and buy any tickets you want there until the issue is resolved and go armed with a printout of Virgin T&Cs.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,287
The idea of a railcard is saving money - not just on a specific ticket. ;)


Yes, and i'll enjoy the benefits of it, on SOR's I purchase on the weekend, with the free upgrade with VT.

I'd suggest you go down to a ticket office and buy any tickets you want there until the issue is resolved and go armed with a printout of Virgin T&Cs.

Very good idea, but would they still be able to issue the discount?

TBH, i'm not angry about the fact the discount has been withdrawn, it's more to do with the fact that Senior railcard holders etc get the discount on FC tickets.

I'm still waiting for a UK railcard for trainspotters to be released ;)
 
T

Tom

Guest
It could just be an online bug - NFM 97 hasn't been released AFAIK so they should be able to issue it.

And TBH, SNR holders should be able to receive the discounts - remember young persons are meant to be agile.... (well, to a degree). If they're not and registered disabled then there is the entitlement for a disabled railcard.
 

Daniel

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2005
Messages
2,568
Location
London
Then you won't be able to travel in First Class for free, however you will be able to upgrade if you travel on a weekend.
 

martyn29

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2007
Messages
815
Location
Leicester
Then you won't be able to travel in First Class for free, however you will be able to upgrade if you travel on a weekend.

thanks I might go Liverpool(1st) If I book well in advance talking to Jordy last night, he gave me the idea.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top