• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite and least favourite Scotrail stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracked

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
1,343
Location
53.5440°N 1.1510°W
Wemyss Bay & Aviemore as favourites

Didn't like Aberdeen and find Waverley a bit of a chore to get from platform to platform sometimes
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cf111

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,397
Thurso, even though it's a bit neglected and now surrounded by wasteland, means I'm home so that's up there as a favourite alongside more grand Termini like Glasgow Central.

Not a massive fan of the incredibly cold Aberdeen and while I've not been to Dundee since the refurbishment started, it always struck me as incredibly grim beforehand.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Coatbridge Central doesn't rank high on my favourites list either.

There's something I quite like about CBC, particularly the underpass. You feel that the station was once an important rail hub (which it was), and there is a twinge of nostalgia in that tunnel for me on the few occasions I've boarded the 1tph currently calling there.

My favourite is probably Edinburgh Waverley, closely followed by Glasgow Central (High Level). Both grand stations with lovely architecture. They fit their roles as Scotland's most important rail stations.

However, if we were to limit it to Scotrail stations, I'd probably go with Partick. The refurbishment was great, and when I used to commute there it was a pleasure to pass through the station. There's a lot wrong with it operationally (no toilets, one ticket window), but I like the station itself. Haymarket is also in the running, again a pretty grim station that's had a fantastic refurb. On a smaller level, Elgin is a basic but very good station, with aj ample waiting area and generally good staff.

Worst is a tough one. There are plenty of terrible stations, as has been mentioned in the SPT area in particular. I've always found Anderston to be particularly grim. Perhaps the glimmer of daylight just makes the underground cavern seem even worse. I'm also not a great fan of Dalmarnock, I'm not convinced that the refurbishment was up to standard to be honest (at least at the platform level, it's still very grim).

I'm not sure why there's no love for Aberdeen station. It services its purpose very well in my experience, and there's a good amount of light and the connection to Union Square shopping centre for long waits. It's probably in my top 10 in Scotland actually.
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,847
Location
Clydebank
Worst is a tough one. There are plenty of terrible stations, as has been mentioned in the SPT area in particular. I've always found Anderston to be particularly grim. Perhaps the glimmer of daylight just makes the underground cavern seem even worse.
Add in the concrete web that is the M8 right above the station, the constant leaks and the sagging roof panels and you've got a hellish dump. Best description for it, if you ask me.
An overhaul of this place is long overdue, quite frankly. The station staff and the passengers using it deserve better.
 
Last edited:

duffers2324

Member
Joined
1 May 2014
Messages
185
Location
Glasgow
My favs would have to be Glasgow Central, Edinburgh Waverley and Weymss Bay. The worst ones i think are Dalmarnock even after the refurb, Bridgeton, Anderston and Coatbridge Central, they all seem desolate and just a big concrete mess IMO
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top