• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favorite Station that is NOT your own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
York, It's so grand.

I've always loved York, because of the wonderful architecture and the variety of services, but that might count as 'mine' because it is ECML. Other than that Temple Meads is a very nice station, for similar reasons. I also like Berney Arms because of it's setting and quirkiness.

Perhaps we should have favourite station and stock on our profiles. York, and HST or A4 for me.
 

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
Probably going to be Cardiff Central, big old station with a lot of trains running through.
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
Although I've passed through before, I changed trains at Stoke on Trent a couple of weeks ago and it seems like a lovely station - surprisingly grand for a small station.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,035
Location
Gloucester
Two of my favourite stations that aren't my own are both in the north-west, and these are Piccadilly and Blackpool North.

Manchester Piccadilly is a fantastic railway station, it is modern, it is very easy to get around and security is very high which is excellent. And the fact that there's several shops and coffee chains around the station makes it very ideal too. And clearly people agree as according to an independent poll carried out in 2007, Piccadilly had the highest customer satisfaction level of any station in the country, with 92% of passengers satisfied with the station; compared to the national average which was 60%.

Blackpool North is another favourite station of mine, despite the fact that eight platforms is a little too many, when there are only four trains an hour leaving (1 to Manchester Airport, 1 to Manchester Victoria, 1 to York and 1 to Liverpool). I realise that most of the trains that terminate have long dwell times and there's a lot of ECS movements and stabling but I don't think I've ever seen the station with more than three platforms occupied by trains, but anyway I'm digressing off the main topic of the thread. I like the station because the approach to it on board a train when you see the Tower close up is an amazing feeling and you instantly know straight away you've arrived in Blackpool. And when you put your ticket through the barrier and you see the two signs saying 'Welcome to Blackpool' with a picture of the Tower and 'Northern is proud to have carried you to Blackpool' makes me very happy indeed.

London Paddington is also a nice station, although a little booming.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
And clearly people agree as according to an independent poll carried out in 2007, Piccadilly had the highest customer satisfaction level of any station in the country, with 92% of passengers satisfied with the station; compared to the national average which was 60%.

I do agree about Piccadilly being a nice station - it is certainly my favourite large station - but didn't that poll only apply to the largest 20 stations by usage?

Link here
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Piccadilly is modern and has great facilities, but elevated platforms 13 and 14 can get a bit wild at busy times due to the number of trains and volume of passengers converging in such a limited space.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
My favourite stations are usually York, Darlington, Bristol Temple Meads, Newcastle simply for the design of the station and how OHL can be designed to blend in with the graceful design of the station.

Despite the many complaints from certain quarters about OHL destroying the view of such buildings, ;)
 

VTPreston_Tez

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2012
Messages
1,159
Location
Preston
I also think Grange-Over-Sands because it's a classic station with a modern twist, despite a worthless bus service and useless taxi service the people operate free taxis most of the time. Back on the subject now, there's a lovely bookshop and a good, albeit sometimes wrecked subway, but at least everyone in Grange helps the station. It's not a wind tunnel, and is only windy when Scottish winds "attack". Trains aren't the most frequent and I would support more destinations from Grange to like, BHM and EUS for further improvement.
 

507 001

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2008
Messages
2,177
Location
Huyton
Porthmadog Harbour ;)

I think Picadilly is a great station, I wish Lime street was like it!
Delamere is nice
 

Waverley125

Member
Joined
2 Sep 2008
Messages
1,010
Location
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley definitely my top two (over Leeds). Definitely not York, it's always cold and, though it looks nice, acts like a massive wind tunnel.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top