• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Faulty TVM and obtaining a refund from uncollected tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennine

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
179
Location
Redcar
I am spending the weekend the weekend in York visiting a friend. I booked my travel single Redcar Central to Eaglescliffe and Off Peak return from Eaglescliffe to York (GC only with 16-25).

I went to collect my tickets from the TVM at Redcar, and the screen was unresponsive to touch. The train to Eaglescliffe came in and explained to the guard who just looked at my confirmation and said go to the booking office at EAG. When seeking assistance at the station they said they were unable to recall tickets (must still be Fastis) and I would have to check wity the guard on the Grand Central.

Whenbthe GC came in I checked with.one of the guards who said to jump on and we will sort it onboard. Another inspector came on and told me I would need to buy abother ticket and then seek a refund and to seek advice from York ticket office.

I was wondering if anyone one could give me advice as I want to ensure im not overlooking anything. Tickets haven't been colecTed yet and on approach to York now.

Cheers
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Did you buy a new ticket? If so you should be entitled to a full refund of the ticket purchased from Northern.

If not, just collect at York.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Not sure what Northern has to do with it......

I would suggest you contact the company you bought the online ticket from as this is the unused ticket. They may choose to refund the ticket you bought from Grand Central, or they may refund the ticket they sold you.
 

pennine

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
179
Location
Redcar
I came to the conclusion of northern becuase it was their website I used to purchase the ticket, and their machine at the station they manage.

I did indeed have to buy a new ticket on board GC (which incidentally was sold with tomorrow's date as outward) and was told to collect the ordered tickets on arrival at York.

It is an inconvenience having to pay twice and having to wait however long for a refund for an issue that wasn't my fault. :(
 

northernman

Verified Rep - Northern
Joined
19 Jul 2012
Messages
139
Hello Pennine,

If you PM me with your contact details I can resolve this for you.

I have responsibility within Northern for TVMs, I am sure others on here will vouch for me....I hope:D

Regards

Ian Borthwick
Revenue Projects Manager
Northern Rail
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
The Northern TVMs do need addressing. It's quite common for them to go unresponsive when trying to enter a ticket reference and then to cancel the transaction due to a lack of activity. I had to try 5 times to get tickets printed at the one at Knutsford the other week. I don't trust them enough to collect tickets on the day I'm going to travel so make sure I do it in advance if I don't select the post option.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
I came to the conclusion of northern becuase it was their website I used to purchase the ticket, and their machine at the station they manage....

Oh okay, I didn't pick up from your post that you bought the original ticket from Northern.

I suggest you PM Northernman....

It is an inconvenience having to pay twice and having to wait however long for a refund for an issue that wasn't my fault. :(

Fair point, but it's unavoidable if the tickets are not collectable.
 
Last edited:

Edmondson

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2013
Messages
17
The train to Eaglescliffe came in and explained to the guard who just looked at my confirmation and said go to the booking office at EAG. When seeking assistance at the station they said they were unable to recall tickets (must still be Fastis) and I would have to check wity the guard on the Grand Central.

The ticket office at Eaglescliffe is a private venture and not run by a TOC.
 

pennine

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
179
Location
Redcar
Many thanks, will do so now I have internet access! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The ticket office at Eaglescliffe is a private venture and not run by a TOC.

And aware of that having applied for a vacancy there in the past :)
 

Paul Duck

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2014
Messages
171
Location
Eaglescliffe
Hi, the ticket office at Eaglescliffe now has a star machine, last ones to be changed from Fastis. So we can now retrieve tickets booked online. Just please be patient as we are getting use to it. :D


Paul Duck
Chester-Le-Track @
Eaglescliffe Ticket Office
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top