• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fares Consultation - what would a national zonal system look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,790
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I'm by no means a cartographer, but there are other countries which have such a system - the Netherlands used to (replaced by kilometric fares, which could be an option for any national UK PAYG scheme - it doesn't *have* to be zonal, it can be point to point - indeed a zonal model is actually slightly poor for PAYG and causes some inconsistencies in London) and Switzerland does, and they tend to look rather like the Merseyside system but bigger - based on what are essentially small irregular rectangles grouped into larger ones rather than being concentric.
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
To create a zonal system you would start by overlaying hexagons of the optimal size for 1 zone on the map and then distorting them to fit the realities of geography. I think that you would also have to introduce a system of supplimenary fares on inter city services.

For a single city region an alternative approach is work with radial zones but divide the outer ones into quadrants.

(The question was about the "how" rather than about the "why", I am not necessarily advocating this in real life)
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Concentric circles as per London Zones is ultimately flawed because it assumes there is only a small number of full journeys right across from an outer zone to the diametrically opposite side. So the fact that half the journey is notionally free can be ignored by TfL, and charging is simplified.

Interestingly even a relatively small system such as the Tyne Wear Metro never went for concentric zones, perhaps they realised early on it wasn’t a good idea for a network with more than one ‘centre’?
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,790
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Going back to my previous post - for PAYG, why do we need a zonal system at all? Why not simply use point to point fares? You know where the person touched in and out, those two go together to give you the fare.

The only thing that wouldn't work so well would be routed fares, so those would realistically have to go. (The approach taken on TfL with the pink validators wouldn't work, as in a mainline context a routed fare often doesn't involve actually changing trains).
 
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
105
The only thing that wouldn't work so well would be routed fares, so those would realistically have to go. (The approach taken on TfL with the pink validators wouldn't work, as in a mainline context a routed fare often doesn't involve actually changing trains).

Could you have a touch in, touch on, touch out system where you have to tap a reader on each train you take? Otherwise it would charge you highest fare between two destinations. I’m thinking London to Birmingham or London to Oxford where there are two competing services with different speeds.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,790
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Could you have a touch in, touch on, touch out system where you have to tap a reader on each train you take? Otherwise it would charge you highest fare between two destinations. I’m thinking London to Birmingham or London to Oxford where there are two competing services with different speeds.

You could I suppose do that, yes. Or have separate touch pads per TOC, which is what the Dutch do (i.e. you touch to get through the barriers, but you also have to "check in" with the TOC you are using).
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
Concentric circles as per London Zones is ultimately flawed because it assumes there is only a small number of full journeys right across from an outer zone to the diametrically opposite side. So the fact that half the journey is notionally free can be ignored by TfL, and charging is simplified.

Interestingly even a relatively small system such as the Tyne Wear Metro never went for concentric zones, perhaps they realised early on it wasn’t a good idea for a network with more than one ‘centre’?
The London system of charging isn't a function of concentric circle zones. A 3-2-1-2-3 journey could still be priced as 5 zones rather than London's 3.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
The London system of charging isn't a function of concentric circle zones. A 3-2-1-2-3 journey could still be priced as 5 zones rather than London's 3.
Yes that probably would work better but I think it is is still best suited to an area with only one obvious centre of (travel) gravity...
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
Yes that probably would work better but I think it is is still best suited to an area with only one obvious centre of (travel) gravity...
I agree. As I posted earlier, for a generic zonal system you start by overlaying hexagons of the right size on the map and then distort for the realities of geography. As a geographer that is how I would do it if required. I make no judgement on the economics or other practicalities of the idea.
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,229
I love all these ideas of high-tech solutions, given that - as I found out again yesterday - the technology at New Street is unable to recognise the West Midlands Day Ranger ticket.

To be fair, who would ever think a West Midlands ticket would be valid in ... er, Birmingham.

:D
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,790
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I love all these ideas of high-tech solutions, given that - as I found out again yesterday - the technology at New Street is unable to recognise the West Midlands Day Ranger ticket.

To be fair, who would ever think a West Midlands ticket would be valid in ... er, Birmingham.

:D

Congratulations on having identified the only ticket I've come across thus far (regardless of origin/destination pair) that doesn't operate the barriers at New St :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top