• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare via zone 1 showing cheaper than avoiding zone 1 on single fare finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techno875

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2026
Messages
8
Location
London
The single fare finder shows a journey from Golders Green (zone3) to Cheshunt (zone 8) as £4 or £4.90 if you avoid zone 1?!?

I have attached a screenshot of the single fare finder. Could it be an error in the fare finder as you can see in the screenshot that it says the alternative fare is zones 1-8, even though it’s telling you to avoid zone 1?

Should note that the journey reversed shows as expected in the fare finder, with the journey avoiding zone 1 being cheaper.

Anyone know if this is correct? Many thanks.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7927.png
    IMG_7927.png
    642 KB · Views: 90
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
16 Nov 2021
Messages
81
Location
Hornchurch
Could it be the Z1-avoiding fare uses a more expensive line? I'm not familiar with thw route you want to take, but I know for example that the off peak fare for Gidea Park to Whitechapel via the Elizabeth line is more expensive than Hornhurch to Whitechapel on the District line despite the starting, ending and through zones beinh exactly the same (and is a personal bugbear of mine!)
 

Techno875

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2026
Messages
8
Location
London
I thought it could be because of more expensive line but on the TFL journey planner, using just tube and overground it’s still showing more expensive to avoid zone 1, therefore I don’t think it’s the line. It’s not using Elizabeth line, national rail, thameslink ect.

I’ve had a look and the journey from one stop up the line at Brent Cross (still zone 3) to Cheshunt which shows the fare to be cheaper avoiding zone 1 as expected.

I genuinely think it’s a mistake in the fare finder unless anyone can advise further. Would it be worth getting in contact with tfl to alert them to this?
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,541
Location
Yorkshire
I thought it could be because of more expensive line but on the TFL journey planner, using just tube and overground it’s still showing more expensive to avoid zone 1, therefore I don’t think it’s the line. It’s not using Elizabeth line, national rail, thameslink ect.

I’ve had a look and the journey from one stop up the line at Brent Cross (still zone 3) to Cheshunt which shows the fare to be cheaper avoiding zone 1 as expected.

I genuinely think it’s a mistake in the fare fine unless anyone can advise further. Would it be worth getting in contact with tfl to alert them to this?
I'm not familiar with the data, but do you think the cheaper fare or the higher fare is the mistake?

Its rare for higher fares to be reduced in my experience, but not at all uncommon for cheaper fares to be increased.

I would only contact TfL if I was certain there was no risk of the lower priced fare going up.

@MikeWh will know, I am sure
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,646
Location
Isle of Man
Could it be an error in the fare finder as you can see in the screenshot that it says the alternative fare is zones 1-8, even though it’s telling you to avoid zone 1?
Looks like it, looks as though the default fare is via zone 2 but the 'not via zone 1' fare is actually treating you as though you go through zone 1.

The screenshot isn't from the official TfL site, it is from @MikeWh 's website, but the official single fare finder gives the same prices (as you would expect!)
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
Given that the reversed journey has the fares as would be expected, with the cheaper fare requiring the pink reader touch in, I would agree that it look to be an error. I think that @MikeWh would agree that there is no logic to requiring the pink readers to be used to pay a higher fare.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
That is definitely an error. The fares are the wrong way round. Stations either side of Golders Green and either side of Cheshunt are all correct, so it must just be a glitch on that one flow in that direction.

I would imagine you'll be charged the lower fare if you go via zone 1, until they fix it.

Edit: reported to TfL. Not sure if they can fix it in time for March, but we'll see.
 
Last edited:

Techno875

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2026
Messages
8
Location
London
Thanks all for your responses, and glad it’s been reported so can be amended.

If I actually did the journey do you think it would charge this incorrect fare, or is it just an error on the fare finder not affecting the charging in reality?
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
If I actually did the journey do you think it would charge this incorrect fare, or is it just an error on the fare finder not affecting the charging in reality?
Experience says that you will be charged the fare shown on the fare finder, so go via zone 1 to Cheshunt until it is fixed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top