• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare evasion incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,130
Welcome to the forum.

Your best way forward is to write back sincerely apologising for not having the correct ticket, and promising to always pay the correct fare in future. Then ask very nicely if they would be willing to offer an out of court settlement instead of prosecuting you.

I suggest you avoid using AI to draft your response - the letters we see here are typically cringy, and show lack of sincerity compared with a personally drafted letter.

You don't need to mention previous occurrences, as they don't specifically mention them, but ensure you tell the truth, so in particular don't say it was the first time when clearly it wasn't. Don't make excuses either - they've heard them all before many times.
 

anonymous12

New Member
Joined
2 Jan 2025
Messages
2
Location
London
Welcome to the forum.

Your best way forward is to write back sincerely apologising for not having the correct ticket, and promising to always pay the correct fare in future. Then ask very nicely if they would be willing to offer an out of court settlement instead of prosecuting you.

I suggest you avoid using AI to draft your response - the letters we see here are typically cringy, and show lack of sincerity compared with a personally drafted letter.

You don't need to mention previous occurrences, as they don't specifically mention them, but ensure you tell the truth, so in particular don't say it was the first time when clearly it wasn't. Don't make excuses either - they've heard them all before many times.

Thank you so much for the advice John. I really appreciate you taking this time to give my situation a look over.

Here is a response that I was thinking of maybe replying with. I wrote it myself and took your advice not to use AI, thanks for that.

Should I definitely not be considering reaching out to a solicitor to handle it on my behalf. They’re really expensive, but the prospect of prosecution and a criminal record is far more daunting and I would ensure I find the money somewhere.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1768.jpeg
    IMG_1768.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,130
I think that’s a very good response. Maybe wait a day to see whether anyone else has any comments though.

The time to use a solicitor is if you don’t get a positive response from your reply. (Actually, we’ve seen that lately it can take two iterations to get Southeastern to agree, but let’s cross that bridge if we come to it.)
 

Pushpit

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2023
Messages
607
Location
UK
I think it's a good letter too. But there is one area which may need a little more thought: is there something you can say to give some evidence that you won't come to their attention again? Such as getting a season ticket, weekly travelcard, railcard (to make the trips more affordable) or similar.
 

BazingaTribe

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2024
Messages
391
Location
Basingstoke
I think that’s a very good response. Maybe wait a day to see whether anyone else has any comments though.

The time to use a solicitor is if you don’t get a positive response from your reply. (Actually, we’ve seen that lately it can take two iterations to get Southeastern to agree, but let’s cross that bridge if we come to it.)
Yup, agreed, it avoids all the usual traps such as calling it a mistake and shows understanding of what's actually been done.

I probably wouldn't put in the bit about being a student, and take out some of the repeated apologies, but that's very much personal preference. While you do want to apologise directly, too much mea culpa, mea maxima culpa can come across as insincere. You just want to apologise and then actually demonstrate you're sorry by not doing it again.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I think it's a good letter too. But there is one area which may need a little more thought: is there something you can say to give some evidence that you won't come to their attention again? Such as getting a season ticket, weekly travelcard, railcard (to make the trips more affordable) or similar.
We cross-posted but that's a good idea that I've seen on other threads. It could replace one of the apology passages.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top