• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare evasion for wrong ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemarp

New Member
Joined
23 Jan 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
Hi i have now been summoned to court as. I had picked up my partners staff oyster card and was caught by inspectors with it. I chose to go not guilty as it was not done on purpose and they could check i have only just used it this one time, also I family member had just died the past week so my heads not been in the right place. I just want to know the likely outcome please, or if any advice.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,224
Hi i have now been summoned to court as. I had picked up my partners staff oyster card and was caught by inspectors with it. I chose to go not guilty as it was not done on purpose and they could check i have only just used it this one time, also I family member had just died the past week so my heads not been in the right place. I just want to know the likely outcome please, or if any advice.
Unfortunately I think you will almost certainly be found guilty as you were - as a matter of fact - using a pass that you were not entitled to use.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,589
Location
LBK
Hi i have now been summoned to court as. I had picked up my partners staff oyster card and was caught by inspectors with it. I chose to go not guilty as it was not done on purpose and they could check i have only just used it this one time, also I family member had just died the past week so my heads not been in the right place. I just want to know the likely outcome please, or if any advice.
Which company is prosecuting you and under what charge? If it's TfL under the Bylaws - something we see here very often - then these are strict liability. Your intent is immaterial and nothing you say ("I did it once, I had a family member die") is a defence to your guilt.

If that's correct - You will undoubtedly be found guilty, and because you have not admitted your guilt, you will lose any entitlement to any discount on the fine, and be punished by means of a fine linked to your income.

You will receive a criminal record usually spent after one year.

You will need to pay a surcharge on the fine.

You will need to pay the fare/s avoided as compensation to TfL.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,589
Location
LBK
Would i now be given a higher fine as I thought I was defending myslef
You need to tell us which company is prosecuting you and which charge is being laid. If it's TfL under the Bylaws you have no defence whatsoever.
 

lemarp

New Member
Joined
23 Jan 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
Which company is prosecuting you and under what charge? If it's TfL under the Bylaws - something we see here very often - then these are strict liability. Your intent is immaterial and nothing you say ("I did it once, I had a family member die") is a defence to your guilt.

If that's correct - You will undoubtedly be found guilty, and because you have not admitted your guilt, you will lose any entitlement to any discount on the fine, and be punished by means of a fine linked to your income.

You will receive a criminal record usually spent after one year.

You will need to pay a surcharge on the fine.

You will need to pay the fare/s avoided as compensation to TfL.
Would it be to late to change plea at the summons
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Can you upload a copy of the paperwork you have been sent (but do redact any personal details before doing so)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top