• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare Advice: Darlington - Frizinghall - Crossflatts - Darlington

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordR

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2014
Messages
234
Location
Leeds
Hi all,

On Monday 13 May I need to make a triangular journey all on the same day: Darlington to Frizinghall to Crossflatts to Darlington. The only element fixed in time is that I need to be at Frizinghall by 09:30 to make a hospital appointment.

Could members please suggest the cheapest way to do this? I was wondering if using one of the West Yorkshire area tickets might be best.

Cheers,

Jordan
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
I'm assuming that you dont want to be tied to Advance tickets, which will be far and away the cheapest? (Plus a single from Frizinghall to Crossflatts)

The WY day rover isnt valid before 0930 (or in the evening peak), but the North East Round Robin is £9 cheaper than an Anytime Return to Crossflatts (you'd need a return from Shipley to Frizinghall either way, which I would buy in advance because of it being a Penalty Fare area).
The question is, can the RR legally be used in this way? I'm not sure what the consensus is, though it's unlikely to be detected.
Split ticketing is another option, but I am no expert on this so can't advise.

Slightly OT, if your appointment is at the BRI, the 629 bus up from Frizinghall is only hourly, and it's a long uphill walk. The 680 bus from the Smith Lane side of the hospital goes direct to Bingley, but again is only hourly.
 

JordR

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2014
Messages
234
Location
Leeds
Thanks for the helpful advice so far!

Travelling outbound on an advance would be fine, but return will be difficult. Reason is that I'm in Crossflatts only for the completion of the sale of my apartment, so timing will be in the hands of banks and solicitors.
 

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,291
Location
Connah's Quay
I haven't really looked at the splitting options here, but you could consider a Darlington-York advance ticket (£6.40 on the 7:45 to Manchester at the moment), combined with an off peak return from Darlington to Crossflatts (£45, and valid after 8:15). If you already have an advance ticket to Frizinghall, then an off peak day return to Crossflatts for £42.80 is valid after 9:30.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top