• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Family railcard in first class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
259
Are there any circumstances when a family railcard can be used to buy first class tickets?

 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
I believe you can with an ADVANCE ticket. FGW website seems to allow it, anyway.
 

marts

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
18
I've used mine several times to buy first class advance tickets with East Midlands Trains.
 

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2009
Messages
2,748
I believe you can with an ADVANCE ticket. FGW website seems to allow it, anyway.

Must be a local thing. Fares Manual says Standard Class Only. (Extract Attached)
 

Attachments

  • famandfriends.jpg
    famandfriends.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 32

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
I think all national railcards offer the full discounts on 1st advance tickets, even YP discounts are allowed on 1st advances.
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
I believe you can with an ADVANCE ticket. FGW website seems to allow it, anyway.

Really? I just checked FGW's booking engine and it wouldn't offer a discount on 1st Advance with a F&F railcard.

I think all national railcards offer the full discounts on 1st advance tickets, even YP discounts are allowed on 1st advances.

Again, no. I've checked East Coast, EMT, FGW, NXEA, SWT and Virgin. None of their booking engines offer a discount on 1st Advance with a F&F Railcard.

Even Avantix Traveller removes the 1st Advances when you input 'FAM' into the discount panel. That surprised me!
 
Last edited:

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
1,432
Location
South Liverpool
No, they don't.

I was selling a customer advance tickets and suggested a F+F railcard, then said she needn't bother as the cheapest fares were 1st class. Entering the railcard made no difference to the ticket cost.

That was with TPE if it helps, but I'm pretty sure everybody's the same.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
The family railcard discount is standard only as per T&Cs on the leaflet. Operators may allow it for promotions but must don't. On east coast the group discount is just as good if you party is 2 adults and 1 child. It is valid in 1st
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Really? I just checked FGW's booking engine and it wouldn't offer a discount on 1st Advance with a F&F railcard.

I was multitasking with a sick child, I must have got my figures wrong :oops: I could have sworn the price came up different both times.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top