• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Family and Friends enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
249
Location
Sheffield
Evening all,

I purchased a Family and Friends railcard on the 16th May 2013 and turned 16 on the 26th May 2013 so as the terms and conditions state I can travel as a child.

However can I still travel with one adult and myself ( as an over 16 traveling as a child ) or does an actual child need to be present when this term applies?

Cheers,
Richard
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
You count as a 'child' for the purposes of the Family Railcard, for the duration of the validity of the Railcard.

There is no need to bring an under 16 year old along to get the discount!
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
Just thinking - is it not rather unusual to have an under 16 actually buy the railcard? Not that it should make any difference as long as it is an adult who actually signs the railcard, as I understand it.

If you are travelling with a child who is aged five to 15 years old you are eligible to apply for a Railcard. The good news is that up to four adults and four kids can travel on one Railcard – and they don’t even need to be related.

You can have two adults named on your Family & Friends Railcard allowing either adult to carry the card and get a discount...

If your child turns 16
during the validity period of your 1-year Family & Friends Railcard, they will still be entitled to travel at the discounted child fare. This lasts for as long as your 1-year Family & Friends Railcard is valid.
eligibility

EDIT: Actually, that does not appear to be correct - I now see that the declaration to be signed when applying for a Family and Friends Railcard clearly states
"I have read, understood and agree to the conditions shown in this leaflet, including that the named Railcard holders MUST be travelling with at least one child on a child ticket to use Family and Friends discounted tickets. I confirm that he details I have provided are correct and I am 16 years of age or over.

(Signature).....

At least your Railcard might now be valid... or will it?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top