• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Falling out of love - with Whitby

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
You try so hard to support something you love.

But every time, you're screwed over. Northern are always late. TPE never wait.

They've no interest in you.

I've given up on Whitby - not because of the beautiful town itself. Just because of the stupid railway that couldn't run a whelk stall.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,728
Location
West Riding
Your journey sounds like it is very profitable in terms of complimentary tickets, every cloud has a silver lining and all that…
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
Your journey sounds like it is very profitable in terms of complimentary tickets, every cloud has a silver lining and all that…

If they cough up.

I'd rather they just get me there tbh.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,826
I wouldn’t even think of going there by train, even though I only live about 6 miles from Northallerton station. Its a bit of a shame but that’s how it is.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
A few years ago, I used to do Whitby easily - very rarely got shafted at Middlesbrough.

Seems to have become regular now.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
Got back in the end without too much trouble.

Hopefully when the more frequent service comes about in around 2027, there will be more options.
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
Hopefully, I'll manage to cover Whitby today. My plan is get the 1310 York to Scarborough, then the X94 to Whitby in time for the 1557.
 

Sunil_P

On Moderation
Joined
31 Oct 2022
Messages
527
Location
Ilford
When I first visited Whitby in 2018, I went outbound on the Northern morning train from Middlesbrough perfectly OK, but in the afternoon, a NYMR train broke down at Grosmont, leading to the cancellation of the Northern train back to 'Boro, so I had to get the bus back!

Last year, went on two consecutive days by bus from Scarborough to Whitby, and both days Whitby was fog-bound. Still, the Abbey was quite atmospheric!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
Pleased to report - I've not fallen out of love with Whitby.

Trains behaved impeccably yesterday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top