• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failure to show rail card

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry05

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2024
Messages
6
Location
camden town
I previously bought the 16-25 railcard and was unsure how it worked, I didn’t realise that I had to show proof until asked and will be fined 400, I bought from the Trainline app and the railcard was not automatically in use as said, when I tried contacting customer support the app claims “no booking can be found with that reference” when I input the transaction ID. I don’t know how to activate my railcard so that I can access proof of ownership
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ohnoes

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2024
Messages
28
I previously bought the 16-25 railcard and was unsure how it worked, I didn’t realise that I had to show proof until asked and will be fined 400, I bought from the Trainline app and the railcard was not automatically in use as said, when I tried contacting customer support the app claims “no booking can be found with that reference” when I input the transaction ID. I don’t know how to activate my railcard so that I can access proof of ownership
Google ‘how to load my railcard Trainline’ and it helpfully gives you this from their website:
To view your Railcard in the [trainline] app, you'll need to first log in to your account with the same email address you purchased with. After logging in, navigate to the Account tab and tap on "Your Railcards" to bring up the list of Railcards you've purchased. Then tap on "Download Railcard" to download it to your device.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
Google ‘how to load my railcard Trainline’ and it helpfully gives you this from their website:
To view your Railcard in the [trainline] app, you'll need to first log in to your account with the same email address you purchased with. After logging in, navigate to the Account tab and tap on "Your Railcards" to bring up the list of Railcards you've purchased. Then tap on "Download Railcard" to download it to your device.
Meanwhile, as you did not activate the railcard, any journeys you have made claiming the discount will unfortunately have been illegal. (AFAIK your railcard will now be valid from the date you activate it not backdated to the date of purchase.)

If you'd like advice about the £400 you mention, please post a redacted copy of the relevant document(s) so we can see what is actually being claimed. It is fairly likely that you will be able to resolve this without going to court (if that is the threat).
 

henry05

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2024
Messages
6
Location
camden town
Google ‘how to load my railcard Trainline’ and it helpfully gives you this from their website:
To view your Railcard in the [trainline] app, you'll need to first log in to your account with the same email address you purchased with. After logging in, navigate to the Account tab and tap on "Your Railcards" to bring up the list of Railcards you've purchased. Then tap on "Download Railcard" to download it to your device.
I tried this, however when I click on railcards it shows no download option and shows me the railcards I can buy
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,637
Location
LBK
I tried this, however when I click on railcards it shows no download option and shows me the railcards I can buy
Do you have any proof you bought a railcard at all?
 

OscarH

Established Member
Joined
15 Sep 2020
Messages
1,294
Location
Crawley
AFAIK your railcard will now be valid from the date you activate it not backdated to the date of purchase.
This is not how they usually work. The only case like this I know of is TrainPal/trip.coms nonsense about purchasing a ticket after buying. If OP did indeed buy a railcard it'll have a start date of the purchase date, and they should be able to use the forgotten railcard protocol
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
This is not how they usually work. The only case like this I know of is TrainPal/trip.coms nonsense about purchasing a ticket after buying. If OP did indeed buy a railcard it'll have a start date of the purchase date, and they should be able to use the forgotten railcard protocol
Sorry, I realise the railcard needed downloading rather than activating. Post amended.
 

henry05

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2024
Messages
6
Location
camden town
Do you have any proof you bought a railcard at all?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Do you have any proof you bought a railcard at all?
This email from Trainline is the most evidence I have

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Meanwhile, as you did not activate the railcard, any journeys you have made claiming the discount will unfortunately have been illegal. (AFAIK your railcard will now be valid from the date you activate it not backdated to the date of purchase.)

If you'd like advice about the £400 you mention, please post a redacted copy of the relevant document(s) so we can see what is actually being claimed. It is fairly likely that you will be able to resolve this without going to court (if that is the threat).
My dad lost the letter, I have one picture that shows some of the letter
 
Last edited:

henry05

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2024
Messages
6
Location
camden town
I previously bought the 16-25 railcard and was unsure how it worked, I didn’t realise that I had to show proof until asked and will be fined 400 or taken to court. I bought from the Trainline app and the railcard was not automatically in use as said, when I tried contacting customer support the app claims “no booking can be found with that reference” when I input the transaction ID. I don’t know how to activate my railcard so that I can access proof of ownership. I don’t have long to sort this out so will be active all day if anyone can help
 

Cuthbert

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2024
Messages
321
Location
United Kingdom

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


This email from Trainline is the most evidence I have

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


My dad lost the letter, I have one picture that shows some of the letter View attachment 169542
You are best to redact personal information.
Can see your name and Address and part of the ref number.
 

methecooldude

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2015
Messages
420
I previously bought the 16-25 railcard and was unsure how it worked, I didn’t realise that I had to show proof until asked and will be fined 400 or taken to court. I bought from the Trainline app and the railcard was not automatically in use as said, when I tried contacting customer support the app claims “no booking can be found with that reference” when I input the transaction ID. I don’t know how to activate my railcard so that I can access proof of ownership. I don’t have long to sort this out so will be active all day if anyone can help
If you purchased the railcard from Trainline, they would have sent you a email receipt, do you have that?
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,247
You need to recontact trainline with this problem.

Have you followed the videos on youtube that show how to download and activate a railcard?
 

henry05

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2024
Messages
6
Location
camden town
If you purchased the railcard from Trainline, they would have sent you a email receipt, do you have that?
I have that, I tried to contact Trainlines customer support, however when I input the reference ID it claims “no booking can be found with that reference”

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

You need to recontact trainline with this problem.

Have you followed the videos on youtube that show how to download and activate a railcard?
I have, however once I am on the railcard section I can only purchase railcards, there’s no option to download
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,247
Have you resolved your issue with Trainline? Do you now have a valid railcard? What is the expiry date on the railcard (as working backwards this shows the valid from date)?

EDIT

Can you reupload the letter you have received with your personal details and any reference numbers obscured?
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
I have that, I tried to contact Trainlines customer support, however when I input the reference ID it claims “no booking can be found with that reference”

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I have, however once I am on the railcard section I can only purchase railcards, there’s no option to download
Have you evidence of the payment from your card/bank?
 

henry05

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2024
Messages
6
Location
camden town
Have you resolved your issue with Trainline? Do you now have a valid railcard? What is the expiry date on the railcard (as working backwards this shows the valid from date)?

EDIT

Can you reupload the letter you have received with your personal details and any reference numbers obscured?

Have you evidence of the payment from your card/bank?
The case has now been closed Thankyou for your help
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top