• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failing to Produce a Valid Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane34

New Member
Joined
12 Jun 2018
Messages
3
This is what happened to my son recently and we are worried about the consequences. Please advise on how to proceed. I have received a letter from TFL to deny or accept committing an offence.
To outline what happened. I lost my travel card on the way home from work. I got off at my local station and walked out of the disabled barrier and was stopped by someone who didn't have a TFL badge so I carried on walking. I was then grabbed by a security guard that works at the station and was slammed against the wall. He was very aggressive and urged me to punch him in the face. He asked me for my details and I gave him false information because I didn't think he was an inspector. I was backed into a corner and felt very intimated by the security guards. When I asked for some space they laughed at me. His college then came over and produced his TFL badge so I willingly gave him my correct details. During this time the security guards were verbally abusing me. The whole episode was totally unprofessional and scary. I was very confused and intimated I asked not to receive a penalty fare so instead I received a fare evasion letter through the post.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,817
When someone leaves a station and fails to present a valid ticket, they commit an offence. TfL are not known for settling out of court so this would seem likely to lead to a prosecution. There is suggestion here of what might amount to an unprovovoked assault, but I may not be alone in feeling that we are missing a lot of details about that incident. However, it doesn't alter the fact that an offence was committed.
 

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,168
When someone leaves a station and fails to present a valid ticket, they commit an offence. TfL are not known for settling out of court so this would seem likely to lead to a prosecution. There is suggestion here of what might amount to an unprovovoked assault, but I may not be alone in feeling that we are missing a lot of details about that incident. However, it doesn't alter the fact that an offence was committed.

^This.

Your son can make a complaint about his treatment, though it should be separate from the response to the Fare Evasion, which Haywain has covered. Write back with the explanation as given that he lost his card and walked through the barrier. Expect a summons.

If you want to pursue the complaint, write immediately to TfL saying that you wish to complain and put them on notice that you require any CCTV in the station that would have covered the incident preserved. The story as told merits speaking to a solicitor on a free initial consultation. However, without an independent witness or CCTV, I can't see you making much progress.
 

Jane34

New Member
Joined
12 Jun 2018
Messages
3
Thank you for your replies. He is at work at the moment, when he comes home I will ask him to clarify exactly what happened.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,724
Location
Scotland
I was then grabbed by a security guard that works at the station and was slammed against the wall. He was very aggressive and urged me to punch him in the face.
This is very troubling and is grounds for a serious complaint. Not that this changes the fact that your son was unable to present a ticket when requested.
I lost my travel card on the way home from work. I got off at my local station and walked out of the disabled barrier...
This is, unfortunately, an open and shut case. Had he approached the barrier and explained the situation it's likely that he would've received a Penalty Fare but by attempting to exit he's demonstrated intent to avoid payment (not withstanding the lost travelcard). The best thing to do is write back admitting the offence and asking for it to be disposed of by way of a settlement.
 

Jane34

New Member
Joined
12 Jun 2018
Messages
3
Thanks for all of your replies. My son has come in from work and it has become apparent that the security guards were giving lots of verbal abuse and said detrimental comments regarding his mum and dad. He also said that if he could he would take off his uniform and knock him out and then call the police. All these comments were witnessed by my other son who was standing near by. I know that he did approach the barrier and walk through. Would it be worth mentioning this totally unprofessional bullying attitude on the form?
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,817
Thanks for all of your replies. My son has come in from work and it has become apparent that the security guards were giving lots of verbal abuse and said detrimental comments regarding his mum and dad. He also said that if he could he would take off his uniform and knock him out and then call the police. All these comments were witnessed by my other son who was standing near by. I know that he did approach the barrier and walk through. Would it be worth mentioning this totally unprofessional bullying attitude on the form?
No, you need to treat these as two separate issues, as mentioned above by Puffing Devil. Before making a complaint you may want to question your sons closely on the full details about what happened as it would appear unlikely that behaviour of that sort was completely unprovoked (in my opinion).
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,724
Location
Scotland
Before making a complaint you may want to question your sons closely on the full details about what happened as it would appear unlikely that behaviour of that sort was completely unprovoked (in my opinion).
I second this. I'm not for a moment calling your son a liar but the reported behavour is way over the top and highly atypical. I'd want to be 100% sure that there are no inaccuracies in his story that could result in it being dismissed.
 

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
6,231
Location
Newtown Montgomeryshire
The alleged behaviour of the "security guards" is not a get out of jail free card for travelling without a ticket. Others have said this less bluntly but if the OP's son has tried to make himself look in a better light / bend things then it could well backfire. The chances of the incident being underneath some cctv is fairly high.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top