I'm interested to know what factors come into play when a heritage railway decides which steam loco(s) to use each day.
I'm aware that on some railways, there are minimum requirements for power - such as on the NYMR where I believe they need a minimum of a BR power class 4 to haul 7 coaches up to Grosmont from Pickering. I'm also aware that in some cases, having the various bits of kit for mainline running are a necessity.
I'm interested to know the other factors that come into play. For example, if a railway was running a one train service for 5 consecutive days over half term, many would choose to run the same loco all week. Are there any factors that would define that or is it simply a decision of convenience?
What else comes into play when making these scheduling decisions?
Thanks!
I'm aware that on some railways, there are minimum requirements for power - such as on the NYMR where I believe they need a minimum of a BR power class 4 to haul 7 coaches up to Grosmont from Pickering. I'm also aware that in some cases, having the various bits of kit for mainline running are a necessity.
I'm interested to know the other factors that come into play. For example, if a railway was running a one train service for 5 consecutive days over half term, many would choose to run the same loco all week. Are there any factors that would define that or is it simply a decision of convenience?
What else comes into play when making these scheduling decisions?
Thanks!