• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Facing prosecution for short faring on SWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

subcso

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2026
Messages
20
Location
London
Hi all,

I'll try include all info in here to keep it clear and brief. I have read other threads and feel like I need advice on my case.

On [redacted date] 2025 I was stopped at Waterloo with a short ticket from Clapham to Waterloo, when the first leg of the journey had not been scanned, I admitted wrongdoing and my actual station of departure was earlier on the shepperton line, at a station without ticket barriers. I was reported.

On Monday, 16th Feb 2026, I received an email stating I have been issued a report for prosecution. The investigator looked into my trainline app history, found inconsistencies and ended the first email with "Given the serious nature of this matter, we have taken this step to contact you and initiate a resolution, prior to escalating the matter to our case management team."

I responded stating I want to resolve the issue,

Yesterday, 19th Feb, I was sent a responding email with a spread sheet of purchase history up to June 2023 where out of 200 journeys, 40 have been highlighted for short faring. The investigator wants me to provide "contextual information that will provide clarity for the journeys in question".

This won't help my case to state, but for context in this thread - Before I had a job I short fared between Fulwell or Teddington and Waterloo and Vauxhall. My position is, since September 17th, I did short fare a number of number of times (10) but I have now stopped. I cycle to Twickenham and go to Waterloo now. This year, 2026, I've grown up, it's stressful - I'm always in a rush, It's so stupid. I the last couple of months I have been buying season tickets, which I intend to carry on doing, I never want to short fare again, I want to put this behind me.

My response is crucial to how this proceeds and I of course, don't want a criminal record. I also find myself being reluctant to pay for solicitors. But in my case, where they have 40 cases against me and potentially more previously, do I need one?

I have not been summoned to court, I feel like a response to the investigator is time sensitive and should be done as soon as possible, in the response, I don't feel like I should incriminate myself and say "yes I short fared for all of the highlighted journeys" but rather, "I am sincerely sorry for my actions, can we settle this matter out of court? I am willing to pay the fare of all the tickets, and any administrative costs that you decide in a lump sum."

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,133
Location
Wilmslow
Whilst we advise people not to incriminate themselves by admitting to fare evasion about which they’ve not been asked, if you’ve been asked explicitly as you have it’s better simply to own up as part of your discussion with them. They won’t suddenly switch to prosecute you, they’ll simply come up with a settlement amount which includes these earlier transgressions.

You don’t need to pay for a solicitor.

They’re looking for honesty rather than evasiveness, because they want to believe you won’t do it again.
 
Last edited:

flitwickbeds

Member
Joined
19 Apr 2017
Messages
774
The 10 times you say you short-fared "after September 17th" is after you were caught, right? Of the 40 highlighted journeys in the spreadsheet, are these 10 part of that total?

If you can prove any of the 40 journeys you didn't short-fare (receipts from elsewhere, for example) then show this evidence to them and ask for them to be removed from the count. If the 10 afterwards are not included, they probably do know about them and therefore any attempt to say "I learnt my lesson after I was stopped" is likely to fall on deaf ears.

So, you're probably looking at 100 single journeys at the full Anytime fare, plus an admin fee of approximately £150, as your settlement if offered. The Anytime fare is £13.30, so multiply that by 100 gives you £1,330 plus the admin fee - so a total of about £1,500.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,124
If you don't complete their spreadsheet, there is a possibility that they will settle this time, then contact you again about the other journeys. It is much better to be honest with them, which then gives them the confidence to offer a settlement rather than take it to Court. You say that you have now bought season tickets - this gives them more confidence that you won't reoffend, which is the whole point of this exercise.

I would also point out that, if they want to take you to Court, they must institute proceedings by 17th March, which is not thsat far off.
 

subcso

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2026
Messages
20
Location
London
I see that honesty is the best policy. Should I give them detail of all the times before and after their highlighting on the spreadsheet (14 times before, 10 times after, 64 in total)? Or only mention that there were other occasions and offer to pay the anytime fare for all tickets and administrative costs.

Could I run a draft message to the investigator through here?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I see that honesty is the best policy. Should I give them detail of all the times before and after their highlighting on the spreadsheet (14 times before, 10 times after, 64 in total)? Or only mention that there were other occasions and offer to pay the anytime fare for all tickets and administrative costs.

Could I run a draft message to the investigator through here?
Hello [redacted],

I would like to own up to the previous inconsistencies. I am sincerely sorry. I have started buying season tickets, I intend to continue buying season tickets and all other journeys and don’t intend to short fare ever again. I don’t want this to happen again. I want to pay the full amount I owe to SWR in train fares, and any administrative costs that you decide, in a lump sum.

As part of the discussion, I would like to own up to 14 occasions before the highlighting, and 10 occasions since the highlighting. would it be in your consideration to factor this into an out of court settlement?

Here is a screenshot (attached) of my held railcards which shows apart from a period between 06/07/2023 to 23/07/2023, I have consistently held them from 2020 to present.
 
Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,124
I see that honesty is the best policy. Should I give them detail of all the times before and after their highlighting on the spreadsheet (14 times before, 10 times after, 64 in total)? Or only mention that there were other occasions and offer to pay the anytime fare for all tickets and administrative costs.

Could I run a draft message to the investigator through here?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Hello [redacted],

I would like to own up to the previous inconsistencies. I am sincerely sorry. I have started buying season tickets, I intend to continue buying season tickets and all other journeys and don’t intend to short fare ever again. I don’t want this to happen again. I want to pay the full amount I owe to SWR in train fares, and any administrative costs that you decide, in a lump sum.

As part of the discussion, I would like to own up to 14 occasions before the highlighting, and 10 occasions since the highlighting. would it be in your consideration to factor this into an out of court settlement?

Here is a screenshot (attached) of my held railcards which shows apart from a period between 06/07/2023 to 23/07/2023, I have consistently held them from 2020 to present.

A couple of presentational points. Firstly, since it is a formal letter, I would address it 'Dear Sirs', and end with 'Yours faithfully'. Also, include your reference or case number, so that the TOC can link your reply to their letter. Also, we generally advise to add something to the effect that you now realise that fare evasion is a major problem, and you now appreciate that it is wrong to do it and you have learnt your lesson. You need to persuade and assure the TOC that you will not reoffend.

I know I said previously to own up to all your transgressions, but I would only respond to those journeys they have identified. They would be out of time to bring a Court case against you for any earlier journeys they have not identified, but clearly not for the latter journeys. I personally would not raise these new cases, but wait for other posters to give you their views.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
You don’t need to tell them about any journeys they haven’t highlighted. They aren’t playing a game with you here or honesty testing you (beyond just wanting you to own up to it and apologise), they’re just looking to get repaid.
Could I run a draft message to the investigator through here?
Absolutely, this is what we normally do and I’d suggest you don’t send anything until we’ve looked it over and given feedback
Hello [redacted],
Would be better with a more formal intro.
I would like to own up to the previous inconsistencies. I am sincerely sorry. I have started buying season tickets, I intend to continue buying season tickets and all other journeys and don’t intend to short fare ever again.
This has the right stuff but is a bit scattered. Something like “I am sincerely sorry for my actions. I have started buying season tickets and will ensure that I always have a valid ticket for my entire journey in future”. Please don’t copy my words exactly, take inspiration and put it in your own words.
I don’t want this to happen again.
You’re the one who decides if this happens again. You should be assuring them that it won’t happen again.
I want to pay the full amount I owe to SWR in train fares, and any administrative costs that you decide, in a lump sum.
This should go right at the end, and should be worded a bit differently. You need to ask them if they’d be willing to, or say you’d be grateful/appreciative if they’d be willing to, settle out of court, and say you’re prepared/willing/whatever to pay the fares owed and administrative costs. No need to specify “lump sum” - that’s the default.
As part of the discussion, I would like to own up to 14 occasions before the highlighting, and 10 occasions since the highlighting. would it be in your consideration to factor this into an out of court settlement?
Remove this.
Here is a screenshot (attached) of my held railcards which shows apart from a period between 06/07/2023 to 23/07/2023, I have consistently held them from 2020 to present.
Good, but move this up so that the request to settle is at the end. Are there any tickets on the spreadsheet between those dates in 2023?

Please do post another draft with the feedback taken into account so we can review it again :)
 

subcso

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2026
Messages
20
Location
London
thanks for your replies.

There are no SWR tickets on the spreadsheet between 06/07/2023 and 23/07/2023 (only Southern rail tickets), I didn't realise it had run out.

here is my updated draft:

Dear [redacted],

Subject - <redacted> FI IT

Thank you for your letter dated 19th September providing the spreadsheet with highlighted journeys for which you have requested contextual information to provide clarity for the journeys in question. I deeply regret that I did not purchase the correct ticket for any of the journeys in question.

This has been massive error of judgement on my part. I am sincerely sorry for my actions. It is unfair of me to behave this way as it puts the burden on other rail users and on SWR. This has been well documented in the media, and I should have known better.

I have started buying season tickets for every month and will ensure to buy the correct valid ticket for journeys outside of the monthly ticket in the future.

Here is a screenshot (attached) of my held railcards which shows apart from a period between 06/07/2023 to 23/07/2023, I have consistently held them from 2020 to present.

[screenshot]

Due to the serious nature of the case, I now realise that fare evasion is a serious and major ongoing problem, I don’t wish to be a part of it. I appreciate it is wrong to undermine the rail system.

I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter directly and avoid the serious implications that a court conviction would have on my future. I am prepared to pay the fares owed and administrative costs.

Yours faithfully,

[my name]

---

I appreciate your help with this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

subcso

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2026
Messages
20
Location
London
A couple of presentational points. Firstly, since it is a formal letter, I would address it 'Dear Sirs', and end with 'Yours faithfully'. Also, include your reference or case number, so that the TOC can link your reply to their letter. Also, we generally advise to add something to the effect that you now realise that fare evasion is a major problem, and you now appreciate that it is wrong to do it and you have learnt your lesson. You need to persuade and assure the TOC that you will not reoffend.

I know I said previously to own up to all your transgressions, but I would only respond to those journeys they have identified. They would be out of time to bring a Court case against you for any earlier journeys they have not identified, but clearly not for the latter journeys. I personally would not raise these new cases, but wait for other posters to give you their views.
someone cannot be taken to court for an offence older than 6 months?
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,133
Location
Wilmslow
someone cannot be taken to court for an offence older than 6 months?
Not for a “summary-only offence” like this, no.

(1)Except as otherwise expressly provided by any enactment and subject to subsection (2) below, a magistrates’ court shall not try an information or hear a complaint unless the information was laid, or the complaint made, within 6 months from the time when the offence was committed, or the matter of complaint arose.
 

subcso

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2026
Messages
20
Location
London
If you don't complete their spreadsheet, there is a possibility that they will settle this time, then contact you again about the other journeys. It is much better to be honest with them, which then gives them the confidence to offer a settlement rather than take it to Court. You say that you have now bought season tickets - this gives them more confidence that you won't reoffend, which is the whole point of this exercise.

I would also point out that, if they want to take you to Court, they must institute proceedings by 17th March, which is not thsat far off.
So the idea currently is to admit wrongdoing for the found cases and see what the investigator says in response?

I feel like I'd need to respond to him today for it to be in amicable time considering he wrote to me yesterday
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
I feel like I'd need to respond to him today for it to be in amicable time considering he wrote to me yesterday
I don’t think this is true. Early next week would be fine. Does any of their correspondence give a deadline for your response?
 

subcso

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2026
Messages
20
Location
London
I don’t think this is true. Early next week would be fine. Does any of their correspondence give a deadline for your response?
The investigator just says,

"There are multiple rail tickets highlighted in an orange colour that require your immediate attention."

"Your assistance on this matter is much appreciated"
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
It’s far better to reply well in a few days than badly today. I think you should wait for us to have the chance to properly review your draft before doing anything, even if that means it can’t be sent before the weekend.
 

subcso

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2026
Messages
20
Location
London
Rather than hurriedly replying I guess I'll be waiting until monday.

I have another draft:

Dear [redacted],

Subject - [redacted] FI IT

Thank you for your letter providing the spreadsheet with highlighted journeys for which you have requested contextual information to provide clarity for the journeys in question. I deeply regret that I did not purchase the correct ticket for any of the journeys in question.

This has been massive error of judgement on my part. I am sincerely sorry for my actions. It is unfair of me to behave this way as it puts the burden on other rail users and on SWR. This has been well documented in the media, and I should have known better.

This year, I started buying season tickets for every month and will ensure to buy the correct valid ticket for journeys outside of the monthly tickets in the future.

Here is a screenshot (attached) of my held railcards which shows apart from a period between 06/07/2023 to 23/07/2023, I have consistently held them from 2020 to present.

[screenshot]

Due to the serious nature of the case, I now realise that fare evasion is a serious and major ongoing problem, I don’t wish to be a part of it.

I respectfully request that you consider resolving this matter by way of an out-of-court settlement. I am willing to pay all outstanding fares, administrative costs, and any reasonable settlement sum that you consider appropriate to bring this matter to a close without court proceedings. I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter directly and avoid the serious implications that a court conviction would have on my future. I am committed to making amends and restoring the trust that I have broken.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my request. I look forward to your response and hope that we may resolve this matter promptly.
Yours faithfully,
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,280
I feel like I'd need to respond to him today for it to be in amicable time considering he wrote to me yesterday
It's in their interest for you to reply in a hurry - more likely to be under pressure, make an error, incriminate yourself by mistake etc etc

brings to mind this quote:

“Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow. Delay may give clearer light as to what is best to be done. ”
 

subcso

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2026
Messages
20
Location
London
It was said earlier in this thread that I do not need a solicitor, I am contesting with myself, because maybe my case (40+ offences) may be too large to settle?

Is there a safe way to respond to the investigator? I have had AI help me create a template for a 'Request for Out of Court Resolution / Mitigation', where I am much more careful about incriminating myself, but I feel this would directly lead to fighting in court, and needing a lawyer.

I see there are two routes, or I could merge them and try and use the "without prejudice" rule?
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
It was said earlier in this thread that I do not need a solicitor, I am contesting with myself, because maybe my case (40+ offences) may be too large to settle?
It is not too large to settle. We have seen much larger SWR settlements.
Is there a safe way to respond to the investigator?
By following our advice.
I have had AI help me create a template for a 'Request for Out of Court Resolution / Mitigation', where I am much more careful about incriminating myself, but I feel this would directly lead to fighting in court, and needing a lawyer.
You’ve had AI generate you a pile of completely unreliable slop. You have a forum full of experts at your disposal and you’d be wise to follow the advice given instead of that of an AI chatbot. Give us a little bit of time to look your draft over and make suggestions. There’s no rush now, it’s the weekend.
 
Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,133
Location
Wilmslow
It is not too large to settle. We have seen much larger SWR settlements.

By following our advice.

You’ve had AI generate you a pile of completely unreliable slop. You have a forum full of experts at your disposal and you’d be wise to follow the advice given instead of that of an AI chatbot. Give us a little bit of time to look your draft over and make suggestions. There’s no rush now, it’s the weekend.
Exactly this - you can choose to rely on AI or you can get input from real people with experience. If you want the best advice, I advise you choose people over AI.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
I have another draft:
My edits below (mainly to reduce waffle). I assume you will attach the spreadsheet with the relevant items completed.
Thank you for your letter providing the spreadsheet with highlighted journeys for which you have requested contextual information to provide clarity for the journeys in question. I deeply regret that I did not purchase the correct ticket for any of the journeys in question.

...

Here is a screenshot (attached) of my held railcards which shows apart from a period between 06/07/2023 to 23/07/2023, I have consistently held them from 2020 to present.
Is this relevant to any of the fares theh are querying? If not , delete.
Due to the serious nature of the case, I now realise that fare evasion is a serious and major ongoing problem, I don’t wish to be a part of it.
Repeats a previous comment, delete.
I respectfully request that you consider resolving this matter by way of an out-of-court settlement. I am willing to pay all outstanding fares, administrative costs,out and any reasonable settlement sum that you consider appropriate to bring this matter to a close without court proceedings.
They would have no legal grounds for asking for this, delete.
I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter directly and avoid the serious implications that a court conviction would have on my future. I am committed to making amends and restoring the trust that I have broken.
 Delete - unnecessary.
 

subcso

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2026
Messages
20
Location
London
Just to clarify, the spreadsheet is a history of my journeys, it just presents evidence. there is nothing for me to complete on the spreadsheet itself.

Also the railcards are relevant, as the investigator asked for them

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I have refined my draft to the comments of @30907

----

Dear [redacted],

Subject - [redacted] FI IT

Thank you for your letter providing the spreadsheet with highlighted journeys requesting contextual information. I deeply regret that I did not purchase the correct ticket for any of the journeys in question.

This has been massive error of judgement on my part. I am sincerely sorry for my actions. This has been well documented in the media, and I should have known better. I understand that fare evasion of any kind is a serious matter, and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience, cost, and administrative time my actions have caused your organisation.

I have started buying season tickets for every month and will ensure to buy the correct valid ticket for journeys outside of the monthly tickets in the future.

Here is a screenshot (attached) of my held railcards which shows apart from a period between 06/07/2023 to 23/07/2023, I have consistently held them from 2020 to present.

[screenshot]

I respectfully request that you consider resolving this matter by way of an out-of-court settlement. I am willing to pay all outstanding fares, fines, and administrative costs appropriate to bring this matter to a close without court proceedings. I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter directly and avoid the serious implications that a court conviction would have on my future.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my request. I look forward to your response and hope that we may resolve this matter promptly.
Yours faithfully,

----

thank you for the help.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I've seen on a different forum that spreadsheets have been issued to allow completion, an account of true and false for each journey. I have been sent a spreadsheet, but not one that allows space for me to edit, it is an "exhibit" and is just to communicate their investigation. Just wanted to clarify.
 
Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,124
I've seen on a different forum that spreadsheets have been issued to allow completion, an account of true and false for each journey. I have been sent a spreadsheet, but not one that allows space for me to edit, it is an "exhibit" and is just to communicate their investigation. Just wanted to clarify.
But haven't you accepted that for all the journeys listed, you did not have a valid railcard /ticket combination. Therefore, the second sentence of your letter covers this, and you do not need to annotate a spreadsheet.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
But haven't you accepted that for all the journeys listed, you did not have a valid railcard /ticket combination. Therefore, the second sentence of your letter covers this, and you do not need to annotate a spreadsheet.
I think the OP is just clarifying because someone above expected the spreadsheet to need filling in.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
I've made some little changes to your draft, see below. Give it until the afternoon to see if anyone has any further suggestions before sending it :)
Dear [redacted],

Subject - [redacted] FI IT

Thank you for your letter providing the spreadsheet. I can confirm, with deep regret, that I did not purchase the correct ticket for any of the journeys highlighted.

I am sincerely sorry for my actions - this was a massive error of judgement on my part. I now understand that fare evasion is a serious matter, and I should have known better. I have started buying season tickets every month and will ensure I always hold the correct valid ticket for all journeys in the future.

Here is a screenshot (attached) of my held railcards which shows apart from a period between 06/07/2023 to 23/07/2023, I have consistently held them from 2020 to present.

[screenshot]

I would appreciate if you would consider resolving this matter by way of an out-of-court settlement. I am willing to pay the outstanding fares and administrative costs to bring this matter to a close without court proceedings. I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter directly and avoid the serious implications that a court conviction would have on my future.

Yours faithfully,
 

subcso

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2026
Messages
20
Location
London
Thanks for the changes,

how confident are the experts here that SWR would settle, and not use my admittance to take me to court?
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,133
Location
Wilmslow
SWR almost always settle as long as they believe what you’ve written and believe you’re not going to repeat the offence. Just search this section of the forum for many cases.

If they take you to court it will be for the instance when you were stopped.

Having sent you an offer to settle, they’ll only prosecute if you don’t engage with them. They get more money because it costs them less.
 

subcso

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2026
Messages
20
Location
London
Having sent you an offer to settle, they’ll only prosecute if you don’t engage with them. They get more money because it costs them less.
They haven't sent me an offer to settle. Are you saying, 'when' they send me an offer to settle?
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,133
Location
Wilmslow
They haven't sent me an offer to settle. Are you saying, 'when' they send me an offer to settle?
Apologies, yes, when, and otherwise my answer stands - they invariably settle and you can look at previous cases here.
 

subcso

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2026
Messages
20
Location
London
Are there any cases where they haven't and it has ended badly? not talking about the hedge fund executives living outside of London seen in the media.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top