L Brightwell
Member
The Felixstowe to Nuneaton (F2N) enhancement scheme has been under discussion for years now.
There are many wanted investments along this route which have been long overdue, some of which were planned to take place years ago, but haven't.
Freight is continually increasing in and out of Felixstowe and other places, not only intermodal traffic. One intermodal even started this week running in and out of Felixstowe! This surprises me considering the amount of capacity constraints we see today!
In my point of view, I would be surprised to see much more trains be introduced on this congested route and there is a long list of upgrades required to accommodate future growth in passenger and freight traffic.
Sticking to the F2N capacity enhancement scheme, many upgrades are needed that includes:
But what is the reason that these are taking so long to do?
Many of which should have been done years ago now. Like I say, I really cannot see much more traffic until further upgrades are carried out and completed.
There are many wanted investments along this route which have been long overdue, some of which were planned to take place years ago, but haven't.
Freight is continually increasing in and out of Felixstowe and other places, not only intermodal traffic. One intermodal even started this week running in and out of Felixstowe! This surprises me considering the amount of capacity constraints we see today!
In my point of view, I would be surprised to see much more trains be introduced on this congested route and there is a long list of upgrades required to accommodate future growth in passenger and freight traffic.
Sticking to the F2N capacity enhancement scheme, many upgrades are needed that includes:
- further doubling of Felixstowe branch,
- Haughley Junction doubling,
- headway reductions a lot of the way,
- Soham to Ely doubling,
- Ely North Junction remodelling,
- Resignalling work to the line between Peterborough and Syston, the list goes on.
But what is the reason that these are taking so long to do?
Many of which should have been done years ago now. Like I say, I really cannot see much more traffic until further upgrades are carried out and completed.
Last edited by a moderator: