• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Expired Railcard - will they investigate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldn1234

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
Stevenage
Hello all,
I would really appreciate info from those that have been on this forum a while/have knowledge on cases like mine.

Last week, I was travelling to work into London via Thameslink Railway and was asked to show my ticket at the Kings Cross barriers. I confidently showed them my ticket and went to show them my railcard. It was at this point I realised it had expired 2 months ago and was shocked.

I bought my railcard 3 years ago so honestly had no idea. I am shocked that i was not notified via email/via the app - but I have since found out that it’s my responsibility to keep track of its expiry.

I was apologetic and frantically explained that I had no idea. I was issued a Penalty Fare (£118 reduced to £68 if I pay within a month). I have now paid the fair and bought a new railcard. I would like to think this will be the end of it.

However, I am now scared that there may be a chance they will investigate my history and charge me for the 2 months worth of tickets I have mistakenly bought without a valid railcard.

I have looked extensively through this Forum but it seems like most people whose history are investigated/charged - were not given a PF on the day. Instead, they are notified that they will receive a letter in the post.

Am I incorrect? Even though I have dealt with the Penalty Fare - should I prepare for a letter in the post?

Thank you so much.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
If you have paid the Penalty Fare that is the end of the matter as far as that incident is concerned.

GTR is not a train company we frequently see reported as conducting "trawls" of people's journey history for other improper purchases. So I suspect you will not hear any more about the matter. But if you do, please come back with a copy of correspondence and we will assist in whatever we we are able.
 

ldn1234

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
Stevenage
If you have paid the Penalty Fare that is the end of the matter as far as that incident is concerned.

GTR is not a train company we frequently see reported as conducting "trawls" of people's journey history for other improper purchases. So I suspect you will not hear any more about the matter. But if you do, please come back with a copy of correspondence and we will assist in whatever we we are able.
Thank you so, so much. That’s great to hear
 

oliveyoutwo

On Moderation
Joined
30 Jan 2025
Messages
8
If you have paid the Penalty Fare that is the end of the matter as far as that incident is concerned.
This is not entirely true, even if you paid the fare in full, they can, in theory, refund you the amount you paid if they decide to prosecute you for criminal offences, for example if they believe you have been committing fraud by purchasing discounted tickets to which you are not entitled (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2018/366/regulation/11).
 

ldn1234

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
Stevenage

oliveyoutwo

On Moderation
Joined
30 Jan 2025
Messages
8
Thank you for the detail - have you ever seen/heard of this happening?
I am new here so I cannot really comment on whether this has happened. However, one can argue that purchasing discounted tickets for two month does amount to fraud.
 

Cuthbert

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2024
Messages
321
Location
United Kingdom
If it was WMR* guys they normally interview under caution if they want to send the info to the Digital fraud team.
If they did do that you might get a letter in around 6 weeks.
But I doubt it as you paid the Penalty Fare.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,817
I am new here so I cannot really comment on whether this has happened. However, one can argue that purchasing discounted tickets for two month does amount to fraud.

Fraud prosecutions on the railway are almost unheard of. We've seen absolute industrial level deliberate, pre-meditated fare evasion worth over £20,000 dealt with via an out of court settlement

The chances of this OP being prosecuted for fraud are vanishingly small, unless there is a heck of a lot more to it than we've been told
 

ldn1234

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
Stevenage
Yes from what I’ve read here … WMR can be quite brutal with things.

Luckily, I was not interviewed. My details were taken for the Penalty Fare and I paid it & bought a new railcard less than 3 hours later.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
This is not entirely true, even if you paid the fare in full, they can, in theory, refund you the amount you paid if they decide to prosecute you for criminal offences, for example if they believe you have been committing fraud by purchasing discounted tickets to which you are not entitled (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2018/366/regulation/11).
I have never heard of this happening. Train companies often threaten fraud prosecutions but in reality, while it probably has happened somewhere, at some point in the past, I have not seen a rail fare case prosecuted under the fraud act in all the time I've been active on this forum.

Travelling with an out of date railcard is not going to end up being prosecuted under the Fraud Act.

I am new here so I cannot really comment on whether this has happened. However, one can argue that purchasing discounted tickets for two month does amount to fraud.
If you're not sure whether something has happened then it's best not to comment. If you want to learn more about rail fares then do consider signing up to attend one of our fares workshops or regular forum meals.
 

ldn1234

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
Stevenage
I have never heard of this happening. Train companies often threaten fraud prosecutions but in reality, while it probably has happened somewhere, at some point in the past, I have not seen a rail fare case prosecuted under the fraud act in all the time I've been active on this forum.

Travelling with an out of date railcard is not going to end up being prosecuted under the Fraud Act.


If you're not sure whether something has happened then it's best not to comment. If you want to learn more about rail fares then do consider signing up to attend one of our fares workshops or regular forum meals.
Thank you so much!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top