• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Expired Railcard on Northern Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

oli456

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2025
Messages
5
Location
Manchester
On the 13th January I was stropped by a ticket inspector at Manchester Piccadilly and when I produced my ticket and railcard I was told it had expired at the end of September. I have received a letter asking for my explanation of the incident and was just looking for some advice on my reply. this is my first draught, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Dear Northern Rail Debt Recovery and Prosecutions unit,

Thankyou for your letter on the 20th February 2025 regarding the incident XXXXX, and for giving me the opportunity to respond.

On the 13th January 2025 I travelled from Levenshulme to Manchester Piccadilly on a ticket purchased via Trainline, including a 16-25 Railcard discount. When asked to present my ticket and Railcard, I was regrettably unaware that my Railcard had expired.

I sincerely apologise for this serious oversight and take full responsibility for my mistake. It was never my intention to travel without a valid Railcard or to avoid paying the correct fare. I fully understand that it is my responsibility to ensure my Railcard is valid when travelling on a discounted ticket, and I am mortified by my mistake. I deeply regret any inconvenience, loss of revenue, and administrative burden my actions may have caused Northern Rail in dealing with my actions.

Please be assured this was a genuine mistake on my part as I missed the expiry date of the Railcard, and I would never intentionally avoid paying the correct fare for my travel.

Immediately after this incident I renewed my railcard (Railcard number: XXXXX) as I never intended to travel without one. Additionally, I have set a calendar reminder to ensure I renew it promptly upon expiry to ensure this never happens again. I take this matter very seriously and have learned from my mistake.

I understand that Northern Rail is within its rights to proceed with legal action, but I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter directly. I am more than willing to pay the fare in full in addition to any administrative costs that Northern Rail has had to bear as a result of my error.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for my actions and am grateful for you taking the time to consider my response to the situation.

Yours sincerely,
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,309
On the 13th January I was stropped by a ticket inspector at Manchester Piccadilly and when I produced my ticket and railcard I was told it had expired at the end of September. I have received a letter asking for my explanation of the incident and was just looking for some advice on my reply. this is my first draught, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Dear Northern Rail Debt Recovery and Prosecutions unit,

Thankyou for your letter on the 20th February 2025 regarding the incident XXXXX, and for giving me the opportunity to respond.

On the 13th January 2025 I travelled from Levenshulme to Manchester Piccadilly on a ticket purchased via Trainline, including a 16-25 Railcard discount. When asked to present my ticket and Railcard, I was regrettably unaware that my Railcard had expired.

I sincerely apologise for this serious oversight and take full responsibility for my mistake. It was never my intention to travel without a valid Railcard or to avoid paying the correct fare. I fully understand that it is my responsibility to ensure my Railcard is valid when travelling on a discounted ticket, and I am mortified by my mistake. I deeply regret any inconvenience, loss of revenue, and administrative burden my actions may have caused Northern Rail in dealing with my actions.

Please be assured this was a genuine mistake on my part as I missed the expiry date of the Railcard, and I would never intentionally avoid paying the correct fare for my travel.

Immediately after this incident I renewed my railcard (Railcard number: XXXXX) as I never intended to travel without one. Additionally, I have set a calendar reminder to ensure I renew it promptly upon expiry to ensure this never happens again. I take this matter very seriously and have learned from my mistake.

I understand that Northern Rail is within its rights to proceed with legal action, but I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter directly. I am more than willing to pay the fare in full in addition to any administrative costs that Northern Rail has had to bear as a result of my error.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for my actions and am grateful for you taking the time to consider my response to the situation.

Yours sincerely,
Hi - looks OK to me and covers the key things you need to say - I would say that an unintentionally non renewed railcard is not the worst thing ever ticketing wise so this para is maybe a bit more than needed:

I sincerely apologise for this serious oversight and take full responsibility for my mistake. It was never my intention to travel without a valid Railcard or to avoid paying the correct fare. I fully understand that it is my responsibility to ensure my Railcard is valid when travelling on a discounted ticket, and I am mortified by my mistake. I deeply regret any inconvenience, loss of revenue, and administrative burden my actions may have caused Northern Rail in dealing with my actions.

and could be edited as follows:

I sincerely apologise for this serious oversight and take full responsibility for my mistake. It was never my intention to travel without a valid Railcard or to avoid paying the correct fare. I fully understand that it is my responsibility to ensure my Railcard is valid when travelling on a discounted ticket, and I am sorry for am mortified by my mistake. I deeply regret any ,inconvenience loss of revenue that has occurred and I am keen to correct that. , and administrative burden my actions may have caused Northern Rail in dealing with my actions.

But that's largely a matter of style so of course up to you
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Well done on writing a decent draft letter! I agree with @WesternLancer suggested edits but in the grand scheme of things it's not going to make any difference.

I expect you'll be offered a settlement but please do let us know how you get on.
 

oli456

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2025
Messages
5
Location
Manchester
Hi, I sent off my email on the 26th February and got a reply on 4th March saying, "This matter is on hold whilst it is being assessed and you will receive a response in due course". I am still waiting on any further contact from them. I know it can be a slow process, but does anyone know how long this may take? I'm just very keen to put this behind me.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
They are likely waiting for Trainline to send them your purchase history. Unfortunately these things are rarely quick to get resolved.
 

HaimusiD

New Member
Joined
7 Mar 2025
Messages
4
Location
Manchester
Hi. I'm in a similar situation and got the on hold message. Have you receive any update yet? Many thanks.
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,302
Location
South West London
Hi. I'm in a similar situation and got the on hold message. Have you receive any update yet? Many thanks.

We advise everyone to make their own thread, as no two cases are the same, and it can be confusing to know what advice is being given to who otherwise.
 

oli456

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2025
Messages
5
Location
Manchester
Hi. I'm in a similar situation and got the on hold message. Have you receive any update yet? Many thanks.
Hi, yes i got an email saying 'Your case has been referred to another team for further investigation and they will contact you directly.'. I moved a couple of months ago and had a couple of emails notifying them, it may just be a response from that. Otherwise I haven't heard anything else

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Ah, I meant to say that the reply from them was on the 22nd April
 
Last edited:

oli456

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2025
Messages
5
Location
Manchester
I've just been offered a settlement.

"On 13 January 2025 you were spoken to by a member of staff in relation to an out-of-date
Railcard. Your account history has shown nine (9) other tickets with that discount between
18 September 2024 and 27 December 2024."

"You can settle the matter straight away by paying the amount of £72.07 along with a
contribution to costs of £50.00."


Seems like a fair outcome, and I'm just pleased to finally put this behind me!
 

wsyed

New Member
Joined
27 Jul 2025
Messages
2
Location
newcastle
I've just been offered a settlement.

"On 13 January 2025 you were spoken to by a member of staff in relation to an out-of-date
Railcard. Your account history has shown nine (9) other tickets with that discount between
18 September 2024 and 27 December 2024."

"You can settle the matter straight away by paying the amount of £72.07 along with a
contribution to costs of £50.00."


Seems like a fair outcome, and I'm just pleased to finally put this behind me!
Was the reply sent to your through email or post? I am in a similar boat and moving soon so afraid I will miss out any post they send to my previous address. Thanks!
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,309
Was the reply sent to your through email or post? I am in a similar boat and moving soon so afraid I will miss out any post they send to my previous address. Thanks!
Strongly consider setting up a Royal Mail postal redirect. See royal mail website.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top