• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exchanging LNER Advance to Off-Peak Single, and then refunding that Single

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfixman

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2025
Messages
5
Location
Cambridge
I bought a first-class LNER Advance ticket on the LNER app, and later I realised there's no point in the near future when I can reasonably take that trip, so I am looking for options to cancel it.

The price of an standard class Off-peak single ticket is roughly the same than what I paid for an advance, so I was wondering if doing this was possible.
1. Exchange the Advance Ticket for a Flexible Single Ticket for a £10 fee.
2. Refund the single ticket for a £5 fee.

Is there any rule that does not let me refund an off-peak ticket that was exchanged from an advance one?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
There is yes. I think that at least from some retailers the difference between the Advance and the flexible ticket would be refundable less the admin fee, but the original Advance fare would only be refundable if the train you were due to travel on was disrupted. The original Advance fare's value is not refundable in these circumstances.

What you could do (if it's a high value fare) is bounce it forward twice - move it forward to a future train where the fare is the same as when you purchased (this is important as you will lose some value if you choose a cheaper one) then move it again when you know when it will be. £10 each time of course but if it's a high value fare then that is still worth it. I often do this with amendable but nonrefundable hotel nights rather than lose them.
 
Last edited:

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,721
Location
Burgess Hill
Retailers should not allow the value from the Advance which was amended into a Flexible ticket to be refunded.

Whether they all follow that in practice is another matter, though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top