• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessing Advance 1st Ticket to Anytime Standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllWork

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2012
Messages
75
I'm somewhat confused with a potential change to my travel tomorrow - any help appreciated!

I have a £61 advance 1st Cardiff Central->Chester ticket but may want to leave significantly earlier on a train with only standard class. If I'm right, I should be able to change my ticket for an anytime one (no advances are available, an anytime single is £58.50ish). This will cost me £10.

Assuming the above is correct, would this be an excess? If so, can I buy it early tomorrow and still use my 'original' ticket if I end up on the original train? I'm prepared to write off the £10 for the flexibility of not having to queue up and change the ticket at very short notice.

Would I be able to just get on the earlier train and pay an excess (I don't think so but best to check!).

Thanks!!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
You need to do the change in a ticket office before the booked train departs. It will only cost 10 pounds, and you won't be given change when the new ticket is cheaper.

I think technically you cannot then use the ticket as on the original (later) train in 1st class. You have converted one ticket into another - you can't have your cake and eat it with price and flexibility! However if the Excess was to be misplaced no-one would be any the wiser (except that clerks usually staple the excess to the original ticket and thus there would be staple holes).
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
It is worth noting that if you change the Advance, the reservation should be cancelled. I am also led to believe the some TOCs instruct staff to re-issue the ticket, thus not leaving you with the advance to use.
 
Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
You shouldn't be able to use the original ticket if the change is done as HHF states, but most times I've changed an advance, the original ticket and seat reservation have been left intact and I've been given an excess or supplement for the fare difference and fee and a reservation on the new train. So what may happen to the additional coupons between changing the ticket and using it, I don't know ;)

Even if the reservation is cancelled as it should be, I very much doubt anything material will come of that, other than the seat being reassigned to someone else and the original holder having to pick a free one on boarding.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top