• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessing a SVR rt. Salisbury to Any Permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
If I were to buy a Cardiff-Paddington SVR route Warminster-Salisbury for £43.40, travelled to London on that route, and then wanted to take the direct train home, what are my excess options? Must I excess to the Any Permitted SVR (£74) or can I take the £60.70 SSR, assuming the time is right?

Would there be any better options to allow me to arrive in London mid-morning (~11) and return late at night? (I haven't started looking at split ticketing yet)

Finally, with GWR's Any Permitted SSS being cheaper than SWT's rt Salisbury SDS, is the SSS still time restricted when going via Salisbury?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
If I were to buy a Cardiff-Paddington SVR route Warminster-Salisbury for £43.40, travelled to London on that route, and then wanted to take the direct train home, what are my excess options? Must I excess to the Any Permitted SVR (£74) or can I take the £60.70 SSR, assuming the time is right?
If you travel at a time when the SSR is valid then you can excess to the SSR.

The excess is £8.65.

Finally, with GWR's Any Permitted SSS being cheaper than SWT's rt Salisbury SDS, is the SSS still time restricted when going via Salisbury?
"Validity code Q8 applies to
all journeys via Fareham/
Southampton/Salisbury. "

Whatever Q8 says...
 

glynn80

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2008
Messages
1,666
If I were to buy a Cardiff-Paddington SVR route Warminster-Salisbury for £43.40, travelled to London on that route, and then wanted to take the direct train home, what are my excess options? Must I excess to the Any Permitted SVR (£74) or can I take the £60.70 SSR, assuming the time is right?

You can most definitely excess your fare to the SSR.

The FRPP states that if you want to excess an "Off-Peak Return / Off-Peak Day Return", the advice to staff is to "Charge the difference between the fare paid and the appropriate Return fare". If the appropriate Return fare happens to be an SSR (i.e. the times you want to travel satisfy the SSR validity code), then you may excess your fare to the SSR price.

Furthermore an example is actually given of excessing from one ticket type to another ticket type:
FRPP said:
Example

A customer holds an Anytime Single from Hereford to Alton routed “not via London”. The customer wishes to travel via London on a day at a time when a Super Off-Peak Single is valid. If the customer does not wish to break their journey, they should be charged the difference between the fare already paid: Anytime Single (£38.50p) and the Super Off-Peak Single (£43). The Excess fare is £5·50. Note: This example is not necessarily the current fare.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top