• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess fare appears to not have corresponding ticket number on it, only CTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

growse

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2010
Messages
78
Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to ask, but I have a question about excess fares and what tickets they're valid with.

I bought (via the VTEC website) as part of a single transaction 2 BIY/KGX advance returns, a BIY/KGX advance single and another non-advance single fare. I picked all of these tickets up on a single collection.

At some point, I made a change to one of the BIY/KGX legs to move the date to September 5th. They sent me the new ticket + reservation in the post as an excess.

What's confusing is that the excess ticket has printed on it "Valid only with CTR xxxxxxxx". This appears to be a collection code, rather than a code that corresponds with the ticket that I have changed.

So my question is this: What, technically, am I required to carry with the excess to make it valid? Is it just the leg that I moved? The collection receipt (I definitely don't have this)? All tickets from that collection (I don't have all of them - some have been discarded / used etc.)? None of the above?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

91109

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2017
Messages
77
Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to ask, but I have a question about excess fares and what tickets they're valid with.

I bought (via the VTEC website) as part of a single transaction 2 BIY/KGX advance returns, a BIY/KGX advance single and another non-advance single fare. I picked all of these tickets up on a single collection.

At some point, I made a change to one of the BIY/KGX legs to move the date to September 5th. They sent me the new ticket + reservation in the post as an excess.

What's confusing is that the excess ticket has printed on it "Valid only with CTR xxxxxxxx". This appears to be a collection code, rather than a code that corresponds with the ticket that I have changed.

So my question is this: What, technically, am I required to carry with the excess to make it valid? Is it just the leg that I moved? The collection receipt (I definitely don't have this)? All tickets from that collection (I don't have all of them - some have been discarded / used etc.)? None of the above?

You need the original ticket plus the excess ticket to make it valid. The CTR is always printed on the ticket, regardless of whether or not it's a TOD.
 

growse

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2010
Messages
78
Thanks - I've still got the ticket that I printed for the leg that I ended up changing.

What's confusing is that there doesn't appear to be anything that ties the excess to that *specific* ticket....
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,827
Location
Back office
When I was first trained on tickets, I was told to always leave that field blank when excessing or just put "0". But then I was also taught that restriction code text had no bearing on off peak restriction times and should be ignored. Of course, challenging what more experienced people say, particularly those from the BR era is a strict no-no on the railways!

Having said that, as a customer I really wouldn't worry about this sort of thing - in reality a ticket inspector is unlikely to do anything if something like that is amiss.
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,289
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
VTEC WebTIS used to use the booking reference rather than the ticket number to tie the original booking and X/S together for the obvious reason that WebTIS didn't always know the ticket numbers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top