• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Examples of disused station - still unused

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,720
Is Manchester Mayfield the biggest disused station which is virtually still intact despite not being used for any purpose.

Highgate Station in London albeit much smaller is similar - still there and vacant despite being closed for 50 years plus?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,450
The original Leigh-on-Sea station, which closed in the mid-1930s (when it was replaced by the new Leigh station and by Chalkwell) is also substantially intact, a good 75 years after closure. Part of it is now, I think, a scout hall.

Not a great pic (for some reason Google streetview haven't photographed Leigh High Street, the most photogenic street for miles around), but I think part of the building can be seen in the background here

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=W8-YXRw7HmsFK4XL6dqEdw&cbp=11,193.91,,0,4.39
 

The Snap

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
3,156
Is Manchester Mayfield the biggest disused station which is virtually still intact

It's hardly 'intact' :lol:. But I know what you mean, I'm just being pedantic. I can't think of a bigger example...

Although, Rotherham Masborough still has all four platforms and a complete station building!
 

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
jsdXF.jpg


Curzon Street station in central Birmingham deserves a mention. Its almost 200 years old now (opened 1838) and it's a massive building, the gigantic oversized door and windows make it look like a dolls house in photographs, but it really is an impressive sight when you are standing in front of it.
Platforms are still intact too, I think it was used for parcels until the sixties. Maybe we will see HS2 trains terminate there in a few years time...
 

Tin Rocket

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2008
Messages
248
Location
midlands
Rushton old station on the MML,i think a local historical society have managed to aquire it now.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Gretton on the kettering-manton line and also Seaton????on the old rugby-peterborough
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Maybe we will see HS2 trains terminate there in a few years time...

Only if you completely ignore all the detailed drawings showing the entrances to the new station in Moor St.

The DfT seem to have raised a lot of hopes about this building by repeatedly misnaming the location of the new station - sometimes makes you wonder if they have ever been to Birmingham...
 

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
Well Curzon Street isnt actually on Curzon Street either! Its on the corner of Albert St and New Canal Street. Curzon Street just runs alongside it.

I havent seen the maps, but I know that part of Birmingham very well and I understand the "new" terminus is proposed to be a couple of hundred yards down the road from the old Curzon Street buildings towards Moor Steet station/the Bullring. I really must have a look at the maps some time soon though.
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
Waterloo International? I always viewed International as a separate station to the domestic side of Waterloo because of the segregated access to it although technically part of Waterloo buildings.

Midge Hall on the Preston to Ormskirk line.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Southampton Terminus (building) is still there, converted into flats.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


I havent seen the maps, but I know that part of Birmingham very well and I understand the "new" terminus is proposed to be a couple of hundred yards down the road from the old Curzon Street buildings towards Moor Steet station/the Bullring. I really must have a look at the maps some time soon though.

400m platforms reach from the site of the old Curzon St platforms all the way to Moor St, with a bridge over, and entrances on either side of Moor St.
Map is here, the Curzon St building is shown: http://highspeedrail.dft.gov.uk/sites/highspeedrail.dft.gov.uk/files/HS2-ARP-00-DR-RW-04233.pdf
 
Last edited:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
That map is as clear as mud, though it might be because I am opening it in Google Docs.

oUqE6l.jpg

This is quite interesting though. Found here.

The building is going to have to be huge then, isnt it?

c8l3y.png


I just scrawled on the map what it is in my minds eye. New station is red, old Curzon Street building in green. It's all side streets behind that and the Think Tank/IMAX on the other side of the road. Any car parking will almost certainly have to in the area where the platforms at Curzon Street currently are. If it does get built then my drive into work is going to be disrupted for months! :-x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top