• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exact Location of the Bugle Steam Railway - Cornwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Luxton

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
2,041
Location
Liverpool
I paid a couple of visits to the long defunct Bugle Steam Railway operated by the Cornwall Steam Locomotive Preservation Society. Recently I scanned a number of slides and will upload them to my web site and flickr pages. However, I am at a loss to locate the exact location to show on the location maps.

I have been looking at Google Earth and can't see any remains of the clay drys extant around the site. I recall that approaching down the A391 from the A30 one turned right at the cross roads in Bugle, went a short distance right and up the hill then turned up a side road.

But it is over 30 years ago now and my mind could be playing tricks, can anyone help out please?

Thanks

John L

www.jhluxton.com
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
There’s a nice little YouTube clip titled “Bugle Steam Railway Cornwall - 1980s film 61559” (featuring a rather nice Ford Transcontinental tractor unit actually) that showes a saddle tank being loaded onto the low loader from the sidings.
I’m seeing my dad tomorrow so I’ll ask him where it was, because we visited it in the 1980s


Edit - I did ask him but he wasn’t sure either unfortunately.
 
Last edited:

John Luxton

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
2,041
Location
Liverpool
Thanks for the feed back on this - I had found the above references prior to asking, however after careful studying of Google Earth again and my photos I have I think found the location which npow appears in part t be heavily overgrown.

However, I have one other query - does anyone know the identify of the Peckett loco which was there in the 1980s? I have it listed on my original notes as Lee Moor 1 - goodness knows why as it isn't and is of the wroung gauge! Despite searching links to preserved Peckett's I can't id this one. It does appear on the Cornwall Railway Society page - but the caption just refers to stock.

 

4141

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2015
Messages
170
Thanks for the feed back on this - I had found the above references prior to asking, however after careful studying of Google Earth again and my photos I have I think found the location which npow appears in part t be heavily overgrown.

However, I have one other query - does anyone know the identify of the Peckett loco which was there in the 1980s? I have it listed on my original notes as Lee Moor 1 - goodness knows why as it isn't and is of the wroung gauge! Despite searching links to preserved Peckett's I can't id this one. It does appear on the Cornwall Railway Society page - but the caption just refers to stock.

Apparently it is this one...http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=23195
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top