Following on from a post a few years ago mostly focusing on England, what's the fastest it would be possible to visit all Scottish or Welsh local authorities by train? By visited, I just mean "being on a train as it calls at a station in the local authority" rather than having to get on or off of a train in each, and excluding Orkney, Shetland and na h-Eileanan an Iar. I'd say to try only to use train services and walking (with trams, metros and boats being allowed but probably of little use), although I suspect Ceredigion with all other council areas would be very difficult in 24 hours without buses.
So far, the fastest I've got for Scotland is 18:12 for the 29 mainland councils.
05:14 Nairn – 09:38 Edinburgh (Nairn (Highland), Forres (Moray), Huntly (Aberdeenshire), Dyce (Aberdeen), Montrose (Angus), Dundee (Dundee), Leuchars (Fife), Haymarket (Edinburgh))
10:10 Edinburgh – 10:16 Musselburgh (Musselburgh (East Lothian))
For less than a mile and a half, forty minutes should be enough time to walk to
10:56 Newcraighall – 11:31 Stow (Shawfair (Midlothian), Stow (Scottish Borders))
11:34 Stow – 12:19 Edinburgh
Three minutes is less than the minimum connection time, but I'd guess that it's possible and just five minutes as a default because nobody, as far as I know, would change trains at Stow normally.
12:32 Edinburgh – 13:28 Stirling (Linlithgow (West Lothian), Polmont (Falkirk), Stirling (Stirling))
13:41 Stirling – 14:05 Gleneagles (Gleneagles (Perth and Kinross))
14:56 Gleneagles – 15:18 Stirling
15:23 Stirling – 15:32 Alloa (Alloa (Clackmannanshire))
15:46 Alloa – 16:33 Glasgow Queen Street (Croy (North Lanarkshire), Lenzie (East Dunbartonshire), Glasgow Queen Street (Glasgow))
17:00 Glasgow Queen Street – 17:34 Cardross (Dalmuir (West Dunbartonshire), Cardross (Argyll and Bute))
18:05 Cardross – 18:38 Glasgow Queen Street
18:58 Glasgow Central – 19:07 Rutherglen (Rutherglen (South Lanarkshire))
19:14 Rutherglen – 19:24 Glasgow Central
The section from Glasgow Queen Street to Rutherglen to Glasgow Central doesn't meet minimum connection times either, but I'd be confident of making each service provided the trains are on time.
19:35 Glasgow Central – 20:08 Woodhall (Paisley Gilmour Street (Renfrewshire), Woodhall (Inverclyde))
20:15 Woodhall – 20:32 Paisley Gilmour Street
20:40 Paisley Gilmour Street – 21:10 Troon (Kilwinning (North Ayrshire), Troon (South Ayrshire))
21:16 Troon – 21:56 Glasgow Central
22:14 Glasgow Central – 23:26 Kirkconnel (Barrhead (East Renfrewshire), Dunlop (East Ayrshire), Kirkconnel (Dumfries and Galloway))
So far, the fastest I've got for Scotland is 18:12 for the 29 mainland councils.
05:14 Nairn – 09:38 Edinburgh (Nairn (Highland), Forres (Moray), Huntly (Aberdeenshire), Dyce (Aberdeen), Montrose (Angus), Dundee (Dundee), Leuchars (Fife), Haymarket (Edinburgh))
10:10 Edinburgh – 10:16 Musselburgh (Musselburgh (East Lothian))
For less than a mile and a half, forty minutes should be enough time to walk to
10:56 Newcraighall – 11:31 Stow (Shawfair (Midlothian), Stow (Scottish Borders))
11:34 Stow – 12:19 Edinburgh
Three minutes is less than the minimum connection time, but I'd guess that it's possible and just five minutes as a default because nobody, as far as I know, would change trains at Stow normally.
12:32 Edinburgh – 13:28 Stirling (Linlithgow (West Lothian), Polmont (Falkirk), Stirling (Stirling))
13:41 Stirling – 14:05 Gleneagles (Gleneagles (Perth and Kinross))
14:56 Gleneagles – 15:18 Stirling
15:23 Stirling – 15:32 Alloa (Alloa (Clackmannanshire))
15:46 Alloa – 16:33 Glasgow Queen Street (Croy (North Lanarkshire), Lenzie (East Dunbartonshire), Glasgow Queen Street (Glasgow))
17:00 Glasgow Queen Street – 17:34 Cardross (Dalmuir (West Dunbartonshire), Cardross (Argyll and Bute))
18:05 Cardross – 18:38 Glasgow Queen Street
18:58 Glasgow Central – 19:07 Rutherglen (Rutherglen (South Lanarkshire))
19:14 Rutherglen – 19:24 Glasgow Central
The section from Glasgow Queen Street to Rutherglen to Glasgow Central doesn't meet minimum connection times either, but I'd be confident of making each service provided the trains are on time.
19:35 Glasgow Central – 20:08 Woodhall (Paisley Gilmour Street (Renfrewshire), Woodhall (Inverclyde))
20:15 Woodhall – 20:32 Paisley Gilmour Street
20:40 Paisley Gilmour Street – 21:10 Troon (Kilwinning (North Ayrshire), Troon (South Ayrshire))
21:16 Troon – 21:56 Glasgow Central
22:14 Glasgow Central – 23:26 Kirkconnel (Barrhead (East Renfrewshire), Dunlop (East Ayrshire), Kirkconnel (Dumfries and Galloway))