• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston to Heathrow T5 using tfl Rail then Heathrow Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

xydancer

Member
Joined
6 Jun 2010
Messages
122
Location
Rugby
Apologies if the answer is already on here somewhere. If it is, I can't find it.

I need to get from Euston to Heathrow Terminal 5 on July 12, a Piccadilly Line strike day, so am stuck with tfl Rail or Heathrow Express.

It seems the cheapest way (unless I hop on bus 350 from Hayes & Harlington) is to do Euston - Paddington - Heathrow Terminal 2 & 3 by tube then tfl Rail (£10.10), then transfer to Heathrow Express for the last bit to Terminal 5 (free). Presumably I can just tap in at Paddington and out at T5 and still just be charged £10.10. Can anyone confirm if that is that correct?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Apologies if the answer is already on here somewhere. If it is, I can't find it.

I need to get from Euston to Heathrow Terminal 5 on July 12, a Piccadilly Line strike day, so am stuck with tfl Rail or Heathrow Express.

It seems the cheapest way (unless I hop on bus 350 from Hayes & Harlington) is to do Euston - Paddington - Heathrow Terminal 2 & 3 by tube then tfl Rail (£10.10), then transfer to Heathrow Express for the last bit to Terminal 5 (free). Presumably I can just tap in at Paddington and out at T5 and still just be charged £10.10. Can anyone confirm if that is that correct?
If time is of no significance, going by (multiple) bus(es) may be cheaper - as that's just £1.50 for each rolling hour in which you tap in at least once. Of course much slower - the TfL journey planner suggests it may take around 2'15", therefore costing probably £3.00 in total.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,296
Presumably I can just tap in at Paddington and out at T5 and still just be charged £10.10. Can anyone confirm if that is that correct?
Yes it is. PAYG operates in the normal manner, since the May timetable change, although as you have realised there is a premium for the TfL Rail (formerly Heathrow Connect) leg compared to the normal tube fare to zone 6 on the Piccadilly.
 

James Wake

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2013
Messages
962
I see you are potentially coming from Rugby, if there is any way you can get a train to Harrow and Wealdstone (perhaps by changing at Watford Junction), you could pick up a 140 down to Heathrow Central then catch a First Berkshire 7 (which is free) or Heathrow Express to Heathrow Terminal 5, or get off at Harlington Corner and pick up a 423 to T5, which would also be free as its within the Heathrow Free Travel Zone.
 

philthetube

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2016
Messages
4,187
more expensive but much quicker would be Watford Junction then the 724 to heathrow. £10 unless you get it free.

Must be better than the Euston option, (and cheaper).
 

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
The OP has ruled that out due a strike on the Piccadilly Line:
Oh, sorry - I clearly can't read!

Yes, unless you're a real masochist, I'd advise going for TfL Rail in that case. Note that although special pay-as-you-go fares apply, travelcards valid to Zone 6 ARE valid on TfL Rail. This might not be all that useful for you but just advising in case others find it helpful.
 

FenMan

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2011
Messages
1,542
On a tangent, does anyone know when the lifts at Hayes & Harlington are due to be completed? I travelled from Heathrow to Blackwater a couple of weeks ago using the rail option via Reading - lugging heavy cases over the bridge at Hayes & H was a pain.
 

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,842
Location
Ledbury
It also might be a little quicker getting the bus from West Drayton rather than Hayes & Harlington. That's the normal route I take to T5.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top