• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston closed (power outage) and other stories...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuriblue

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
558
Location
Baden Switzerland
I thought high voltage switchgear was normally oil-filled or air blast, and under automatic and/or manual control, rather than a fuse you can bypass. So what would be a fuse on a low voltage system was switch gear that broke the circuit when a fault was detected (although I've seen them described as doing so with "explosive force").

These days it's most commonly either under vacuum or filled with SF6 gas. The breakers are controlled by IEDs (Intelligent Electronic Devices, they used to be called Protection Relays) and the relay can send the open command in microseconds (when I did some IED training I was told that the GOOSE protocol that is used is faster than hard-wired)

Possibly the IED was misconfigured or there was a mechanical failure on the breaker. You will never find a fuse on 11kV.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

boxy321

Member
Joined
20 Jun 2016
Messages
449
I thought high voltage switchgear was normally oil-filled or air blast, and under automatic and/or manual control, rather than a fuse you can bypass. So what would be a fuse on a low voltage system was switch gear that broke the circuit when a fault was detected (although I've seen them described as doing so with "explosive force").

I didn't want to keep using the phrase 'protective device', so referred to it as a fuse or breaker.

I know they use a dirty great spike to ensure the power is off on high voltage underground power cables - the spike shorts the inner live to the grounded sheath and if the power is on, BANG! and it trips out.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Thats the standard cull if there is an oops on the West Coast. I like what the OTT maps shows "bust rail"

Basically, yes, with a few added Birmingham services where possible, and Southern terminating at two different stations vice one (I think they said they'd be on a modified contingency plan for a couple of hours).
 

Dolive22

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2009
Messages
464
Ziriblue, much of what I know about HV switchgear come from a manual welcoming firefighters to the brave new world of privatised electricity, hence my rather outdated knowledge. How easy is it to miss program an IED?

Boxy321, I only meant that that there weren't physical fuses some clot could bypass, presumably making it harder to bypass the protection.

I would quite like to see an 11kv fuse blow, or a spanner bridging the ends of a breaker ;) A 60 bar air blast circuit breaker sounds quite fun as well, although I might want to get my hearing protection in!
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,488
Location
London
For those who are interested, here's Big Clive with a demonstration of an 11kV lightning arrestor and explosive disconnector.

[youtube]M1NM6rlSwqA[/youtube]
 

QueensCurve

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2014
Messages
2,203
For those who are interested, here's Big Clive with a demonstration of an 11kV lightning arrestor and explosive disconnector.

[youtube]M1NM6rlSwqA[/youtube]

Those floppy silicone rubber bushes/insulators don't look as good as the old ceramic ones.

I note they seem to have replaced many of the originals on the WCML. :cry:
 

TimboM

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2016
Messages
3,734
I assume delay repay with VT, LM and CS will apply for all delayed and amended journeys yesterday and through the night ?

Certainly will do for VT. I was on a 'special' Nuneaton to Glasgow they rustled up from somewhere yesterday and the Train Manager said anyone who'd had aborted journeys could get a full refund from Point of Sale, or use tickets for travel tomorrow (i.e. today now).
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,988
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Euston Lounge was a lot busier than usual (for the time of day) at 1000 this morning, people vainly looking for seats at one point. Concourse was very crowded too, but that's normal I suppose. I wish they could sort out a system that didn't involve everyone "milling around", and tripping over people or barging into them. I could hardly get through a gap in the crowds to access the Lounge escalator.

I was pleasantly surprised that my 1040 Manchester train was not stupidly packed, although one woman who didn't have a reservation had apparently tried the full length of 1st Class coaches looking for a seat. However I think she probably just didn't want to sit next to someone else, as she eventually settled down in K at a shared table.

Double the staff on the 1040, as the 1100 was apparently cancelled. There were more red jackets in K than ordinary passengers!

Can't understand why all last night (and even now) the cancellations on RTT are shown as "due to unknown cause". The world and its dog must know about the fire after all the TV coverage!
 
Last edited:

tellytype

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2016
Messages
131
You will never find a fuse on 11kV.

Not strictly true that, is it? I can point out a number to you in any given area. HRC fuses etc.

Cyrus & QueensCurve your video from Big Clive (top bloke!) shows a lightning protection device in operation. Not strictly for normal protection fault conditions on the HV network but it certainly is a type of explosive disconnector.
 
Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Can't understand why all last night (and even now) the cancellations on RTT are shown as "due to unknown cause". The world and its dog must know about the fire after all the TV coverage!

It will be because the cause of the fire is subject to an inquiry.
 

GW43125

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2014
Messages
2,313
Well yes, but it was still a fire whatever the cause, which is all people need to be told.

It may just be down to how RTT interprets it. I've seen it attributed on other sources as "a power cut at the station"
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
It may just be down to how RTT interprets it. I've seen it attributed on other sources as "a power cut at the station"

All RTT does is display the reason code given in the data feed (with a "human readable" translation) - no 'interpretation' is involved as far as I know
 

broadgage

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2012
Messages
1,094
Location
Somerset
To be strictly accurate, fuses are very widely used on 11kv systems, but usually only for low current 11kv circuits.
Many overhead rural 11kv lines use fuses to protect transformers or smaller branch lines near the connection to a larger circuit.

Most 11kv fuses are mounted atop the poles and clip into spring loaded holders. A blown fuse is designed such that one end is expelled from the mounting clip and the blown fuse therefore hangs vertically downwards. This is easily seen from ground level and thereby assists in quickly locating faults.

Failed fuses may be safely replaced from ground level with the circuit live, by use of long reach insulated tools.

I mention this only for completeness, it is not relevant to the power failure under discussion. Large capacity 11kv circuits in urban areas invariably use circuit breakers.
 

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2014
Messages
3,216
Can't understand why all last night (and even now) the cancellations on RTT are shown as "due to unknown cause". The world and its dog must know about the fire after all the TV coverage!

People who weren't affected don't need to know. People who were affected should be told directly by the TOC and not have to look on some website. At Glasgow Central yesterday evening they were saying lineside fire.
 

Elecman

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2013
Messages
3,583
Location
Lancashire
The 11 KV cables are Network Rails as part of the Acton Feeder ring main. As previously stated Euston does indeed have separate DNO supplies as required by its classification as an underground station in the Fire Regs. The Traction supply does feed via 2 transformers as the primary supply, the DNO being the 25% backup supply.
 

thecrofter

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2011
Messages
292
There's an alternative feed from Maiden Lane that has been out of use for some time but needs must. It doesn't have the capacity to run the traction for the DC and Euston domestics hence the limited application to get Euston Station and AC services up and running until the four damaged 11 kV cables are repaired.
 

TimboM

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2016
Messages
3,734
All RTT does is display the reason code given in the data feed (with a "human readable" translation) - no 'interpretation' is involved as far as I know

Yes - this is the reason - it's nothing to do with "need to know basis" or limiting info to passengers. Network Rail posted photos of the burning cables on Twitter pretty much live - hardly covering anything up...!

It's simply that the system and/or RTT's interpretation of it doesn't have a code for "caused by fire in lineside cabling completely wiping out major terminus station", hence just comes up as "unknown cause".

There is a code for 'due to being hit by a bird' interestingly enough, amongst many other things no doubt.
 

LAX54

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2008
Messages
3,906
Not having a standby power supply in a major London Terminus shows a complete lack of resillience in that part of the Network. Euston is gloomy on a sunny day and is an architectural monstrosity. If John Betjemnan was still alive I am sure that he would have adapted his Slough poem to describe it and what he wished for it.

Since Euston was rebuilt, (1968 - 46 years) how many times has the Power failed and the Station closed ? This is the first time that I can recall, so the costs of providing such a back up is deemed I would have thought uneconomical
 

QueensCurve

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2014
Messages
2,203
Since Euston was rebuilt, (1968 - 46 years) how many times has the Power failed and the Station closed ? This is the first time that I can recall, so the costs of providing such a back up is deemed I would have thought uneconomical

I was wondering if, since this is the first time in 48 y, some protection or prevention had been lost to economies or loss of corporate memory.
 

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,023
Location
here to eternity
Looks like the revised estimate for LOL services resuming has gone from mid afternoon yesterday to mid afternoon Sunday!
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I was wondering if, since this is the first time in 48 y, some protection or prevention had been lost to economies or loss of corporate memory.

Possible, I suppose.

Really, though, long-term, the overall move to LED lighting should mean that a battery-powered backup system should be able to run for much longer with little more than a stack of car batteries.

OTOH, if there were no trains, does it matter all that much that people had to leave? Might actually have defused the situation somewhat when compared to a baying mob hanging around the concourse.
 

TimboM

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2016
Messages
3,734
OTOH, if there were no trains, does it matter all that much that people had to leave? Might actually have defused the situation somewhat when compared to a baying mob hanging around the concourse.

In the incident on Wednesday (and I was in the baying mob - although it was a very polite and well-ordered mob!) initially you have a point. But the issue regarding the back-up power provision in Euston station was that the signalling etc. was sorted and the trains were back up and running (or at least the diesel and 25kv ones) within a couple of hours, but then the station had to be closed again throughout the peak and into the late evening due to the inadequate lighting.
 
Last edited:

Elecman

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2013
Messages
3,583
Location
Lancashire
The inadequate lighting is the emergency lighting to enable safe evacuation of the station, it is not designed to provide full lighting for running the station in definatly.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
The inadequate lighting is the emergency lighting to enable safe evacuation of the station, it is not designed to provide full lighting for running the station in definatly.

With modern LED technology it should be possible to upgrade to that, though - not absolutely full lighting, but degraded but adequate.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Yes - this is the reason - it's nothing to do with "need to know basis" or limiting info to passengers. Network Rail posted photos of the burning cables on Twitter pretty much live - hardly covering anything up...!

It's simply that the system and/or RTT's interpretation of it doesn't have a code for "caused by fire in lineside cabling completely wiping out major terminus station", hence just comes up as "unknown cause".

There is a code for 'due to being hit by a bird' interestingly enough, amongst many other things no doubt.
Perhaps they could add the code in.

So yesterday how did the people leaving or working in Bushy and Harrow get into Euston? Via Harrow on the Hill.

The DC lines were down and the Tring stoppers cancelled. As usual London Midland didn't add in Harrow and Bushy as extra stops to other services, only doing Apsly and King Langley. Normally one might say well they can get the Overground but the Overground wasn't running.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
The inadequate lighting is the emergency lighting to enable safe evacuation of the station, it is not designed to provide full lighting for running the station in definatly.
Guildford had an issue last year with its lighting. They continued to run trains and allow passengers to use it. Was it dangerous? More so than with the lighting but clearly not enoigh to close it. I think they may have reviews things after the first night it happened.

I did at least allow me to get some photos of it in the dark. Quiet old fashioned looking I thought.

I could image some good photos of Euston could have been taken in the gloom.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top