• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston £50m upgrade

Palmerston

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2024
Messages
225
Location
Hampshire
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2019
Messages
4,427
Location
Cheshire
The Metro has an article on Euston receiving a £50m upgrade - https://metro.co.uk/2026/09/28/londons-worst-station-get-50-000-000-upgrade-changing-29660150/

The article only refers to adding some seats, refurbishing the toilets and making platform announcements in advance to avoid a rush. Assuming that still leaves some change from £50m, what are they doing on top? Or is this article more speculation than fact?

It isn’t speculation - it’s mentioned in the press release here.

Extract:

  • Upgraded facilities at Euston with a £50 million investment at Euston station over the next 3 years. £11 million will initially go towards creating more seating, better waiting areas and refurbished toilets and within the next year, passengers will also be able to access their train further in advance of departure to streamline boarding. A further £10 million will be invested in other stations on the WCML to improve comfort and cleanliness before the end of 2027.
 
Joined
9 Dec 2012
Messages
843
Where will this extra seating go exactly ? They have already increased it by closing the other wh smith a couple of years back to convert to another waiting area.
 

flashgordon

On Moderation
Joined
8 Sep 2026
Messages
15
Location
Brentwood
It does appear to be a lot of money ,but i believe there will be commercial rentals as well and possible expensive flats . Rents there are very high and very sort after too now
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,701
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Where will this extra seating go exactly ? They have already increased it by closing the other wh smith a couple of years back to convert to another waiting area.

The booking office probably doesn't need to be anywhere near as big as it is now, for one. You could easily halve the size of it and put seating in there under the impressive ceiling!
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,313
...and within the next year, passengers will also be able to access their train further in advance of departure to streamline boarding.
As this is principally making available trains that have been sat there all along "Preparing", but in fact have blow all going on, one wonders just what the money for this will be spent on.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,701
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,906
Sometimes I think I live in a parallel universe.


People repeatedly comment (dare I say moan) on here about the state of Euston.

Money announced to improve Euston.

People comment (dare I say moan) on here about spending money on Euston.


(Does a Rory Stewart switch stare)
 

mickey

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
729
Sometimes I think I live in a parallel universe.


People repeatedly comment (dare I say moan) on here about the state of Euston.

Money announced to improve Euston.

People comment (dare I say moan) on here about spending money on Euston.
Exactly. People also forget/don’t realise the complexities involved in making changes at a major terminal in the middle of London, and what they cost to implement. It’s not in the same league as ‘I’ll get dodgy Dave to come round and fix up my bathroom, a couple of hundred cash in hand’. The toilets alone will be costing a couple of million.
 
Joined
9 Dec 2012
Messages
843
The booking office probably doesn't need to be anywhere near as big as it is now, for one. You could easily halve the size of it and put seating in there under the impressive ceiling!
Yes that seems a bit of an outlier now but now the new assisted travel hub hinders that idea a bit, but im old enough to remember the old dimly lit carpeted one in the 80s which i think lasted in part until the mid 00s , which i think had a seating area!
 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,166
Location
Liverpool
Sometimes I think I live in a parallel universe.


People repeatedly comment (dare I say moan) on here about the state of Euston.

Money announced to improve Euston.

People comment (dare I say moan) on here about spending money on Euston.


(Does a Rory Stewart switch stare)
I don't think anyone's really moaning about Euston getting improvements by itself, more that the proposals are a bit vague such as "improved seating and waiting areas". If they went into a bit more detail such as converting the large ticket hall into a concourse expansion then there wouldn't be much to complain about. I do think that optimising passenger flow and separating incoming and outgoing passengers is a major priority but there's only so much that £50m can do really.

Exactly. People also forget/don’t realise the complexities involved in making changes at a major terminal in the middle of London, and what they cost to implement. It’s not in the same league as ‘I’ll get dodgy Dave to come round and fix up my bathroom, a couple of hundred cash in hand’. The toilets alone will be costing a couple of million.
The reason these complexities exist is because the industry is trying to make use of a station that was designed for the 1960s and isn't really equipped to deal with long-term passenger growth and forecasts. HS2's terminus will somewhat mitigate these issues but what the station truly needed was another rebuild. Given that we put the idea off for so long there's no way the Treasury will approve the price tag required to do that now though.
 

Top