• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar question: which end is Coach 1 at Brussels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtrvller

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2013
Messages
23
Just purchased a business premier ticket to Brussels for travel in June. The seat I have is in coach 1 so this will be on a new e320 train.
Can someone advise whether in Brussels this coach be at the buffer end or the country end. If country end I must change this as I have the 20 minute connection to Cologne and doubt I can make that if not nearer buffer end.

Thank you
Chris
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
7 Jan 2009
Messages
1,031
But you will be fine with a country-end seat to make the connection. The stairs by the lift next to the arrival platform will be congested but there is a down escalator about 20m away which is much easier to use and there are no checks on entry to the ICE platform any more so you will be fine.
 

MarcVD

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2016
Messages
1,246
Those stairs allow to bypass the security controls that have been put in place after the terrorist attacks à year ago so they have been closed. Not sure they are reopened yet.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
Those stairs allow to bypass the security controls that have been put in place after the terrorist attacks à year ago so they have been closed. Not sure they are reopened yet.

I don't think the Couloir Sud/Zuidgang is being referred to, but as you come out of the Eurostar platforms, where everyone is queuing for the lifts/stairs, if you walk a little further on there are some escalators going down instead - I always use these as indeed they're much less congested!
 

oldtrvller

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2013
Messages
23
Solution found - As I have a flexible ticket Brussels to Cologne and just in case I have problems, I decided to book a seat reservation only on the 16:16 ICE - this being cheaper than booking on the semi-fast 14:56 with 2 changes which requires a new ticket.
Interestingly the 16:16 is shown as departing from platform 14 and not from 4 or 5.
 

kentman

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2015
Messages
80
Those stairs allow to bypass the security controls that have been put in place after the terrorist attacks à year ago so they have been closed. Not sure they are reopened yet.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

Seat61 says the short cut is opened again:

https://www.seat61.com/news.htm

Brussels short cut reopens..
The couloir sud short-cut at Brussels Midi from an arriving Eurostar to the other platforms for onward connections will reopen from Monday 8 May. It has been closed for security reasons since November 2015 and I had almost given up hope of it ever reopening. This is great news for people connecting between Eurostar and a Thalys or ICE to Amsterdam or Cologne, as it saves several crucial minutes compared to shuffling round through the main Eurostar exit with all the other Eurostar passengers.
 

33Hz

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2010
Messages
513
I went through at the weekend and the new check in was open (in the original location), so I guess the temporary check in is gone and the couloir sud is free to be opened now. The whole Thalys extra security farce has gone again.

Does anyone know if the Thalys Lounge will be moved back across the road?


By the way, the escalator that is referred to above was broken, so the usual smart move to bypass the lift queue backfired as I had to drag a heavy case down that long escalator.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
Solution found - As I have a flexible ticket Brussels to Cologne and just in case I have problems, I decided to book a seat reservation only on the 16:16 ICE - this being cheaper than booking on the semi-fast 14:56 with 2 changes which requires a new ticket.
Interestingly the 16:16 is shown as departing from platform 14 and not from 4 or 5.

It is a new working and leaves off-pattern, no doubt because the path at xx25 was taken by a peak train.
 

coupwotcoup

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2007
Messages
287
When time is tight for my connection at GdL, I always get in the
front carriage - easy at Ebbsfleet or at St Pancras I say I'm going
to the bar and rack my luggage accordingly.

Then wait until train has left its last stop - Ashford/Fréthun and
plonk myself down in any free seat - simples.
 

Fred43123

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2009
Messages
164
Location
Somewhere
Just purchased a business premier ticket to Brussels for travel in June. The seat I have is in coach 1 so this will be on a new e320 train.
Can someone advise whether in Brussels this coach be at the buffer end or the country end. If country end I must change this as I have the 20 minute connection to Cologne and doubt I can make that if not nearer buffer end.

Thank you
Chris

Hello, what time is the train off London? I'm trying to find out what workings the E320s will do to Brussels but not sure.
 

oldtrvller

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2013
Messages
23
No problem at Brussels - at St Pancras I was automatically changed to coach 18 without asking - coach nearest exit at Brussels.
"Correspondance" was open but didn't need to use it.

Chris
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,023
I'll be doing a similar connection onwards to Cologne on the 10:58 from St Pancras on Wednesday. I'm in standard class for that leg - it was coach 18 when I booked but because it is now a 320 when I collected my ticket is was rebooked in to coach 7. (front 3 coaches are 1st) though should be OK as I plan to use the "Correspondance" escalator & colouir-sud. - I think this is somewhere near coach 11 ?
The ICE is booked for platform 5 according to DB planner.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top