• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar - New Look and Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

monkey

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2009
Messages
431
Location
Leeds
^^as professional graphic designer specialising in identity design, I'm horrified. terrible...
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
^^as professional graphic designer specialising in identity design, I'm horrified. terrible...

Seconded. Though I like the new font and the deeper blue replacing the rather faded looking blue background of the old logo. The squiggly "e" thing though... very 90's, and not nearly as neat as the old "≡*"

Were they trying to make the logo look like the TGV logo? Interesting choice if so, after the much-mocked rebranding of the TGV operation.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It looks quite similar to the TGV logo!

Haha, snap! Though I couldn't make it look like anything amusing (nothing clean at least).
 
Last edited:

monkey

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2009
Messages
431
Location
Leeds
...well I wasn't fan of the old one, but it was passable. the new one just looks cheap - and it's meant to be the premier cross-channel rail service, hardly fittiing...

edit: and that tgv logo is truly horrific, don't understand why we can't have something sophisticated and simple liek SJ's logo in sweden...
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
Beat you by six hours but meh...

Eurostar has had a party at the Marriott hotel at St Pancras to reveal a new logo to celebrate its future new routes, the new livery will appear on trains from 1st April and its website from 5th April.

Eusrostar-Marriott-lobby-1.jpg


Eurostar-new-logo-1.jpg


Eurostar-new-logo-2.jpg


There will be new menu for Business Premier class passengers from April 14th, from May Premium passengers will be able to turn up and guarenteed access to a train of their choice despite their original reservation time. Finally this summer they will launch iPhone and Android mobile apps that allow you to book tickets.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
I think it actually looks smart, certainly a move in the right direction.
 

stut

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
1,924
It looks faintly like an elephant. Hopefully not a white one...
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
I think it looks like a business airline logo, I thought the previous one looked too much like a freight or shipping company logo.
 

Captain Chaos

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2011
Messages
840
It looks very pretty. But that's about it.

Where is the company identity? It looks instantly forgettable and I quite simply don't get it. It's just an e with a wavy line drawn through the middle. A 3-year old could have done the same. Also where has the * gone?
 

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
4,861
They could have at least dropped the E at the begining of EUROSTAR to make the e of the logo the first letter of the word. I've alwasy liked the Eurostar livery on their trains at the moment, very smart it was. Perhaps it's time to buy a Hornby Eurostar 6-vehicle set as a momento of the original livery.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I really like it, and I'm glad to see that they're seriously thinking of expanding the number of routes available from St Pancras. However, options will need to be sensibly priced if it's going to work. Unlike Paris and Brussels, it's probably going to be slower by train than it is by plane, so it will be a challenge to attract loyal airline customers onto the rails. That said, good luck to them. I really hope it goes well.
 

Malderon

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
81
I actually really like the new logo, although I didnt like the livery of the new Siemens stock when it was shown off.

I'm actually yet to travel on Eurostar sadly but I'm looking forward to new destinations as it always seems such a shame to have to spend such a long time in an airport plus transfer time for a few hundred miles of flight (if that)
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
I'm sure I echo many others when I ask, what's wrong with the old logo?

Still, the Geneva route is excellent news for me, very useful.
 

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
^^as professional graphic designer specialising in identity design, I'm horrified. terrible...

Being from the same "field" - I have to disagree monkey! Compared to the old logo (as corporate identities should be). The new logo looks and feels modern, looks metallic and will give you a sense of security.
 

CliveJones

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
104
Being from the same "field" - I have to disagree monkey! Compared to the old logo (as corporate identities should be). The new logo looks and feels modern, looks metallic and will give you a sense of security.

It gave me the sense of a big licky tongue. You know a bit like when a loony-toon sees a beautiful woman (or rabbit, or duck etc).
 

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
It gave me the sense of a big licky tongue. You know a bit like when a loony-toon sees a beautiful woman (or rabbit, or duck etc).

But here is the key question: Will you recognise and remember it?
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
I find with logos and branding, unless it's really dire then it's a matter of personal taste whether one likes it or not.

I actually quite like it because it resembles a sort of "Business Class" airline style, which has been mentioned.
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
Pretty sure the metallic look is a preset "Style" in Photoshop, and has been since PS7.

It looks a bit 1980s to me, but it's personal preference.
 

monkey

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2009
Messages
431
Location
Leeds
...yeah it just looks out of date, and decidedly vacant, like they had nothing to say about the service. I think it would have been better to at least just take the old logo and tweak it... if not go for completely new design...
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
I'm undecided on the logo. The logo is clearly controversial, which I think is a good thing because it will stimulate public debate about Eurostar and get people to notice their new services; I've seen on this forum that the logo has already divided opinion. For me, it's rather like the London 2012 logo (which I think is absolutely awful) - that logo caught people's attention and stimulate the public consciousness about the Olympics.

Anyway, news of new services is always good news. Running to Cologne will capture the business market, and it makes sense to operate trains there now given that the Liege - Aachen high speed line is IMO open now.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
One article on it does show the brand design, and the pictogram for ladies toilet is a bit unfortunate...

The logo reminds me of the current TGV logo...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top