bramling
Veteran Member
If we had virtually any other voting system but FPTP, both parties would have imploded by now over the Brexit divide. Neither are trusted, popular or desirable, which bizarrely increases their vote share because people are more worried about the other lot getting in. I wonder how many of the people who voted for Labour in the last GE did it because they wanted Corbyn in charge compared to those just not wanting May in charge.
Both parties are in trouble, for different reasons. However I think there's a deeper issue which could start to bite very soon, which is a complete loss of public confidence in the political system. Two parties whom few actually want to vote *for*, two parties who can't seem to offer policies to appeal to the mainstream (Corbyn offering extreme policies, and May offered nothing really at the last election which I think largely explains the result), and a political system not making a slick job of delivering a referendum result. Add to this a manifesto voted for in 2015 left largely undelivered and a PM who went off in a strop, and a further election no one really wanted, perhaps with more to come.
I would say all this would probably resolve itself, but there also happens to be a major lack of talent in *all* the parties. Even the SNP seem to have peaked. Seems to be recipe for a perfect storm, and all of this is completely independent of Brexit -- which just happens to be a test of a failing system.