• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
Last Saturday I postponed my ride on a GWR 387 to Hayes & Harlington so that I could ride one for the first time on the newly-electrified section to Maidenhead or Reading early next year. Coupled with the Underground through Ruislip to Uxbridge being closed, I focussed mainly on the Ealing & Harrow areas. I only ventured into the Borough of Hillingdon on the Underground from central London to Northwood Hills and then a bus (282) into the Borough of Ealing.


Seems pointless when you consider that:

A- you don't achieve anything by doing this

B- Leave areas had contingents of remain voters and vice versa.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Was speaking to a lady I work with today saying she hates her job and wants to move to Spain where she had just got back from. I shared with her how a manager put me in touch with her daughter who works for a company in Prague. She asked me why I didn't go for it so I asked her how she voted in the referendum. It kind of clicked for her then.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Seems the Home Office are trying to do a clear out of EU residents living in the UK

BBC News said:
The Home Office sent about 100 letters "in error" to EU citizens living in the UK, telling them they were liable for "detention".

The mistake emerged after a Finnish academic, who has the right to live in the UK, received one of the letters.

Dr Eva Johanna Holmberg, who is married to a British citizen, said she "couldn't believe my eyes" when it told her she had a month to leave.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41027671
 
Last edited by a moderator:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Some good news about Brexit today, that is if you live in Germany. 80,000 jobs are set to be created in Frankfurt as the result of international businesses moving work out of the UK.
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
Some good news about Brexit today, that is if you live in Germany. 80,000 jobs are set to be created in Frankfurt as the result of international businesses moving work out of the UK.

I'm off for a short break early next month (Menorca for the first time). Just got my euros in - it's almost parity (1.05 to the £) which means (a) I'll be spending just as much abroad but (b) I'll be spending less here to make up for it.

If thousands are due to go away and their money's tight - will they sacrifice their week's holiday abroad, or sacrifice stuff they would have done here to make up the difference? Certainly it's the former for me.

But poor Stirling means coming here is cheaper for foreign tourists - and I'm glad the common-sense approach of not forcing them to have visas or equivalent has been advanced by our Brexit team.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,402
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
I'm off for a short break early next month (Menorca for the first time). Just got my euros in - it's almost parity (1.05 to the £) which means (a) I'll be spending just as much abroad but (b) I'll be spending less here to make up for it.

If thousands are due to go away and their money's tight - will they sacrifice their week's holiday abroad, or sacrifice stuff they would have done here to make up the difference? Certainly it's the former for me.

But poor Stirling means coming here is cheaper for foreign tourists - and I'm glad the common-sense approach of not forcing them to have visas or equivalent has been advanced by our Brexit team.

Plus people may decide to holiday in Britain, maybe even leading to some kind of revival for some of Britain's rather run-down seaside towns. This year's miserable summer may not have helped that though.

Personally I never holiday abroad anyway - so no effect for me. Pleased with the news about immigration coming down though.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
I'm off for a short break early next month (Menorca for the first time). Just got my euros in - it's almost parity (1.05 to the £) which means (a) I'll be spending just as much abroad but (b) I'll be spending less here to make up for it.

If thousands are due to go away and their money's tight - will they sacrifice their week's holiday abroad, or sacrifice stuff they would have done here to make up the difference? Certainly it's the former for me.

But poor Stirling means coming here is cheaper for foreign tourists - and I'm glad the common-sense approach of not forcing them to have visas or equivalent has been advanced by our Brexit team.

Just to add to that, I've seen a lot of European registered cars passing Exeter on the M5 this last couple of weeks heading towards Cornwall. Mainly from Belgium and Germany but also French and Italian ones too.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Plus people may decide to holiday in Britain, maybe even leading to some kind of revival for some of Britain's rather run-down seaside towns. This year's miserable summer may not have helped that though.

Spending a holiday sitting on beaches doing little/nothing is becoming increasingly unfashionable, regardless of the weather. I went to Dubrovnik a couple of months ago, which now gets double the number of British tourists that it got a couple of years ago and they were actually in the process of removing a large artificial sand beach. While the options of beaches and sun loungers remained in other areas they were seeing little use despite the warm sunny weather with many visitors instead choosing more cultural and adventurous options. Maybe people have got bored of beaches or maybe people are more concerned about the health implications of sunbathing?

Not sure I agree about the 'miserable summer' we had an extended dry warm period lasting a few weeks, it's just it ended before the school summer holidays but then those without children usually go on holiday while the schools aren't on holiday.

Pleased with the news about immigration coming down though.

So we're still in the EU with free movement still in place and immigration is coming down.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

J-2739

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2016
Messages
2,238
Location
London
Spending a holiday sitting on beaches doing little/nothing is becoming increasingly unfashionable, regardless of the weather. I went to Dubrovnik a couple of months ago, which now gets double the number of British tourists that it got a couple of years ago and they were actually in the process of removing a large artificial sand beach. While the options of beaches and sun loungers remained in other areas they were seeing little use despite the warm sunny weather with many visitors instead choosing more cultural and adventurous options. Maybe people have got bored of beaches or maybe people are more concerned about the health implications of sunbathing?

Not sure I agree about the 'miserable summer' we had an extended dry warm period lasting a few weeks, it's just it ended before the school summer holidays but then those without children usually go on holiday while the schools aren't on holiday.



So we're still in the EU with free movement still in place and immigration is coming down.

This summer was a bit trash, like last year was warmer (jeez, it even lasted till September. The dry period we had this year happened at the wrong time (if it happened in late July/August, it would have been good.

It is true that having a whole holiday on a beach is not like it was though. We went to Brighton this year, and while the beach was okay to have an ice cream on or pick some stones up, there was a whole lot more to do in the city.

And I'm sure I heard somewhere on Sky News that immigration rates are going up...
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...sinesses-brace-darker-days-shoppers-run-cash/

British businesses brace for darker days as shoppers run out of cash

...the study warned of darker days ahead. “Even those that performed extremely well may not continue to do so,” it said in its conclusion. “Since the beginning of the year, the economy has slowed markedly, sparking a succession of profit warnings. The UK is now the worst performing economy in Europe (my emphasis).”

In a gloomy forecast, the study warned that the “quick wins” enjoyed by some companies from the pound’s devaluation since Brexit are now wearing off, just as the economy stalls and consumers run out of money.

“The consumer has been living on borrowed time and borrowed money,” it said, noting that retailers in particular were starting to signal concerns and issue profit warnings. “As the devaluation-induced spike in prices has bitten deep into household incomes, so consumer confidence and spending power has ebbed away.” As economies grow faster elsewhere, it added that those with significant overseas operations are “likely to do better than those dependent on domestic demand”.

The outlook for UK-focused businesses follows recent warnings over consumer spending, with the Bank of England saying that outstanding car loans, credit card balances and personal loans are far outpacing rises in income.
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
Putting Brexit totally to one side - I've been looking at short breaks in the Channel Islands and been watching the weather there over the last month or so, hoping that being much further south the weather might be more reliable. It isn't - and it looks as miserable there as the Isle of Man. Now someone who's stayed there the whole of this month will probably say it's been wall-to-wall sunshine and cracking the pavements.

But, basically, as a main holiday the UK's a no-no; it's the weather unless a holiday is weather-resistant like watching the hockey in Cardiff etc etc, or an autumn break where the weather here can often be better than the stormy Med.

I was saddened that Ryanair have decided not to fly to Kiev (Ukraine) as I believe that country could be the new destination for Brits (Odessa on the Black Sea) and I think it's visa-free too these days.

Meanwhile, back to Brexit, if folks who voted Brexit are finding that in real life it's costing them more and more for their annual break the natural thought is that they will let their pockets do the voting next time round - so with such a small majority in the referendum there's no guarantee that the country will back leaving the EU for ever.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
Putting Brexit totally to one side - I've been looking at short breaks in the Channel Islands and been watching the weather there over the last month or so, hoping that being much further south the weather might be more reliable. It isn't - and it looks as miserable there as the Isle of Man. Now someone who's stayed there the whole of this month will probably say it's been wall-to-wall sunshine and cracking the pavements.

But, basically, as a main holiday the UK's a no-no; it's the weather unless a holiday is weather-resistant like watching the hockey in Cardiff etc etc, or an autumn break where the weather here can often be better than the stormy Med.
.

I had a splendid holiday in Norfolk in June. The weather was cracking the flags.
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
I had a splendid holiday in Norfolk in June. The weather was cracking the flags.

I know our weather's unreliable - but time after time June is the best month in the UK. I follow cricket and April/May/June are the best months for it.

June's also fantastic on the Med, too! Not too hot - the sea's warm, the swimming pools too - and that's almost guaranteed. It's the one month I'd like to be everywhere at the same time, from the far north of Scotland (the short "nights") to the Channel Isles to a nice outdoor bar in Haarlem to a skinny-dipping beach on Formentera.

If someone can throw me a couple of million* there's this private jet waiting for a passenger....;)

*Please make that in euros......
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
I know our weather's unreliable - but time after time June is the best month in the UK. I follow cricket and April/May/June are the best months for it.

A few years ago I decided not to book in any exterior house painting jobs during August anymore due to the decidedly dodgy weather, I do most of my exterior work from mid May to mid July and start again in early September until mid October. This has worked out far better for me, although last summer was pretty good to be fair.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
I know our weather's unreliable - but time after time June is the best month in the UK. I follow cricket and April/May/June are the best months for it.

June's also fantastic on the Med, too! Not too hot - the sea's warm, the swimming pools too - and that's almost guaranteed. It's the one month I'd like to be everywhere at the same time, from the far north of Scotland (the short "nights") to the Channel Isles to a nice outdoor bar in Haarlem to a skinny-dipping beach on Formentera.

If someone can throw me a couple of million* there's this private jet waiting for a passenger....;)

*Please make that in euros......

Ah, but do they have as good beer on the med ? :lol:

Over the past ten years, September has also been pretty decent weather wise in the UK.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
This summer was a bit trash, like last year was warmer (jeez, it even lasted till September. The dry period we had this year happened at the wrong time (if it happened in late July/August, it would have been good.

Brighton's weather for July this year:
- 10 days of weather at least 1oC above the average
- 13 days of weather at the average temperature
- 8 days of weather at least 1oC below the average

With an official heatwave between 5th and 10th July, with temperatures hitting 29 on the 6th.

So a good July in Brighton in terms of temperatures.

August is obviously not complete yet but so far 15/25 days have been at the average or above the average.

When we get an occasional very hot and dry summer some people seem to be forget what a typical British summer is like.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
Go to Munich, collect some high quality beer and then go down to Italy by train. Alternatively, go directly to the Med and sample some local wines and fruit liquors. ;)

I shall have to store your advice as I've already booked my other holiday this year in Cornwall where although the quality of the weather may be undetermined, the quality of the beer is assured :)
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,402
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Putting Brexit totally to one side - I've been looking at short breaks in the Channel Islands and been watching the weather there over the last month or so, hoping that being much further south the weather might be more reliable. It isn't - and it looks as miserable there as the Isle of Man. Now someone who's stayed there the whole of this month will probably say it's been wall-to-wall sunshine and cracking the pavements.

But, basically, as a main holiday the UK's a no-no; it's the weather unless a holiday is weather-resistant like watching the hockey in Cardiff etc etc, or an autumn break where the weather here can often be better than the stormy Med.

I was saddened that Ryanair have decided not to fly to Kiev (Ukraine) as I believe that country could be the new destination for Brits (Odessa on the Black Sea) and I think it's visa-free too these days.

Meanwhile, back to Brexit, if folks who voted Brexit are finding that in real life it's costing them more and more for their annual break the natural thought is that they will let their pockets do the voting next time round - so with such a small majority in the referendum there's no guarantee that the country will back leaving the EU for ever.

I'm really not feeling things have become more expensive. Certainly no more than ge way things have become more expensive over the last decade or two. In fact I have spent quite a bit this year including bringing forward some expenditure just in case plus taking advantage of the lack of high interest rates.

However, many of those who voted Brexit factored in to their decision that there may well be some pain. Many will see this as a price worth paying if it avoids the heavy pressures on housing, transport, education and health care that the EU has caused Britain thanks to its ideological attachment to free movement.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,716
Location
Scotland
Many will see this as a price worth paying if it avoids the heavy pressures on housing, transport, education and health care that the EU has caused Britain thanks to its ideological attachment to free movement.
Yeah. Unlike native-born Brits who don't have children, need houses, move from place to place, go to school or get sick. :|
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
Haha, I don't mind a drop of plonk but it all tastes the same to me :lol: (the difference between red and white excepted of course !)

There are different tastes and nothing to do with the price ;) But everyone knows you drink red wine at room temperature.....ha! Nothing better than chilled red and if it's off the shelf, drop a wee slice of ice in to chill it a bit. Connoisseurs can scoff; if you want warm drink have a cup of tea...:D
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,402
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Brighton's weather for July this year:
- 10 days of weather at least 1oC above the average
- 13 days of weather at the average temperature
- 8 days of weather at least 1oC below the average

With an official heatwave between 5th and 10th July, with temperatures hitting 29 on the 6th.

So a good July in Brighton in terms of temperatures.

August is obviously not complete yet but so far 15/25 days have been at the average or above the average.

When we get an occasional very hot and dry summer some people seem to be forget what a typical British summer is like.

I agree about potential rose-tinted spectacles, however this year has been particularly bad. Not so much in terms of rainfall, but certainly in terms of lack of sun. Things might not have been so bad in southern England, but northern England has been particularly grim this year. I struggle to remember any two-week holidays in northern England in the last decade where I didn't get at least a couple of good sunny days, but this year it's been like that since early June.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
There are different tastes and nothing to do with the price ;) But everyone knows you drink red wine at room temperature.....ha! Nothing better than chilled red and if it's off the shelf, drop a wee slice of ice in to chill it a bit. Connoisseurs can scoff; if you want warm drink have a cup of tea...:D

Well, perhaps I ought to broaden my horizons a little :idea:

Although the last time I finished half a bottle of red that I'd left in the fridge, I had the most horrendous hangover ! That was in about 2000 though, so perhaps they've updated the recipe ?
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I shall have to store your advice as I've already booked my other holiday this year in Cornwall where although the quality of the weather may be undetermined, the quality of the beer is assured :)

Cornwall is on my list of future destinations to go but how long it takes to get there (unless flying to Newquay) is an unattractive point and HS2 won't change that.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I agree about potential rose-tinted spectacles, however this year has been particularly bad. Not so much in terms of rainfall, but certainly in terms of lack of sun. Things might not have been so bad in southern England, but northern England has been particularly grim this year. I struggle to remember any two-week holidays in northern England in the last decade where I didn't get at least a couple of good sunny days, but this year it's been like that since early June.

Well I live close to Tatton Park which is supposedly one of the biggest tourist attractions in the North and conveniently there's a Met Office weather station in the village right next to it. There was no participation recorded between the 11th June and the 21st June and during that period there were 6 days where the daytime high was between 24oC and 28oC. There was heavy rain on 29th June but early July had 8 consecutive days of no rain, slightly cooler than the dry period in July but still reaching 27oC one day. 19 days in May had no participation and temperatures of 25-26oC were recorded towards the end of the month. I accept that Cheshire is the south of the north, so what's recorded here is likely to be very different to what's recorded in Newcastle but as far as I can see the stats back up my own memory that it was dry and warm until around the time the schools started breaking up for the summer holidays and in the case of Tatton Park it certainly was overcast and drizzly by the time they had the annual RHS show towards the end of July.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top