• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EPR (Europhoenix Rail) - Class 60s

Potteries 323

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2024
Messages
64
Location
Stoke on Trent
ESH Rail Services branded and named 'Robert Leech' 60063 working 0719 0Z60 Toton TMD to Longport Down Sidings and due to return later as 1349 0Z63, operating under DB for the present

Looks good in twin grey, some comments have been made about the 'wonky S' on the loco side but none of the photos I've seen this morning actually present the logo 'face on', no ideas or guesses yet as to who Robert Leech is/was, the other notable feature is the retention of the original style light clusters
Robert Leech is a relative of the owners.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Great images! Funny how a two tone grey livery seems to suit them so well.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Interesting update on WNXX as well, which states that ESH own the 12 60's at Radway Green as well as the 52 60's currently allocated to the WQDA pool.

The WQDA pool includes 60063, 60082 at Crewe EMD, and the rest are spread out all over the yard at Toton.
Except 60011 apparently!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jacob Porrett

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2022
Messages
1,964
Location
Telford
Great images! Funny how a two tone grey livery seems to suit them so well.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Interesting update on WNXX as well, which states that ESH own the 12 60's at Radway Green as well as the 52 60's currently allocated to the WQDA pool.

The WQDA pool includes 60063, 60082 at Crewe EMD, and the rest are spread out all over the yard at Toton.
The 60s that have been brought what will happen to them bar 60011 please?
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,424
Location
Back in Sussex
so what is so unique about 60011?? Thats very random!

60011 was the test bed loco for electrical modifications and received a refurbished power unit, presumably DB have some reason to retain it


With the purchase of the WQDA locos the ESH fleet is made up of

Serviceable (1) - 60063

Unserviceable at Radway Green (12) - 012/032/036/037/048/052/068/077/078/084/089/093

Unserviceable (refurbished) at Toton - (18) - 001/007/010/015/017/019/020/024/039/040/044/054/059/062/066/074/079/091

Unserviceable (non-refurbished) at Crewe - (1) - 082

Unserviceable (non-refurbished) at Toton - (31) - 003/005/023/025/027/030/031/033/034/035/041/042/043/045/049/051/053/058/065
------------------------------------------------------- 067/069/071/072/073/083/088/092/094/097/100/500

I'm assuming that ESH have a metal recycling department within their business ......
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,194
60011 was the test bed loco for electrical modifications and received a refurbished power unit, presumably DB have some reason to retain it


With the purchase of the WQDA locos the ESH fleet is made up of

Serviceable (1) - 60063

Unserviceable at Radway Green (12) - 012/032/036/037/048/052/068/077/078/084/089/093

Unserviceable (refurbished) at Toton - (18) - 001/007/010/015/017/019/020/024/039/040/044/054/059/062/066/074/079/091

Unserviceable (non-refurbished) at Crewe - (1) - 082

Unserviceable (non-refurbished) at Toton - (31) - 003/005/023/025/027/030/031/033/034/035/041/042/043/045/049/051/053/058/065
------------------------------------------------------- 067/069/071/072/073/083/088/092/094/097/100/500

I'm assuming that ESH have a metal recycling department within their business ......
Many thanks for providing this detail.

Could you please remind me which were the four serviceable 60s before DBC stood them down in 2024. And was 063 among them, or has it only recently been reinstated?
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,424
Location
Back in Sussex
Many thanks for providing this detail.

Could you please remind me which were the four serviceable 60s before DBC stood them down in 2024. And was 063 among them, or has it only recently been reinstated?

60017, 60024, 60062 & 60074 were the last four although 60011 had made it up to five for a short while

A quick scan through the search facility on here suggests 60063 was working during 2020 but stored in 2021
 
Last edited:

BRX

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
4,526
ESH - Active 1 - Stored 62
Someone at ESH must have a giant spreadsheet that shows what's missing/broken on each of those 62 locos, and have made some calculations about how many functional locos can be put together ... it will be interesting to see what actually happens.
 

Loadhaul60059

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2025
Messages
662
Location
Surrey
Someone at ESH must have a giant spreadsheet that shows what's missing/broken on each of those 62 locos, and have made some calculations about how many functional locos can be put together ... it will be interesting to see what actually happens.
I don't know how many they'll need to operate the services they plan to run, but you'd expect them to focus on returning some of the Super 60's to service, given they've all been upgraded and refurbished more recently.

Excluding 60011, I think there were 21 DB Super 60's in total - 001/007/010/015/017/019/020/024/039/040/044/054/059/062/063/066/074/079/091/092/100.

I'm keeping an eye on 60059 and hoping it's one of the ones they choose to resurrect!
 

Harlequinuk

On Moderation
Joined
15 May 2025
Messages
347
Location
UK
I can see all the Super 60s back traffic first, then the rest on a case by case basis
 

Rail Quest

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2023
Messages
759
Location
Warrington
I sometimes get the feeling the forums would prefer the entire class 60 fleet be scrapped than see 60062 returned to the mainline in its current livery :lol:
 

stibz

Member
Joined
7 May 2014
Messages
83
Sadly, it would be no surprise if many of the long long time stored 60s get stripped (if already not done) and cut-up onsite at Toton, but not any that where refurbished in the past, the super 60s. Would hate to see it, but it's now probs the most likely.IMO
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,424
Location
Back in Sussex
I sometimes get the feeling the forums would prefer the entire class 60 fleet be scrapped than see 60062 returned to the mainline in its current livery :lol:

As you mention it ....... ;)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Is it known what services they'll run? Such as will the operate out of Longport? I've not seen much as to the services they will run.

All pure speculation until such time as ESH make their plans public
 

stibz

Member
Joined
7 May 2014
Messages
83
I'm keeping an eye on 60059 and hoping it's one of the ones they choose to resurrect!
60059 I photographed on its first day out as a super 60, past near my home. On another note about 059, I think it had a catastrophic engine failure, last time it ran? I maybe wrong and I hope I am, but remember something happening on it's last day as a runner.
 

Harlequinuk

On Moderation
Joined
15 May 2025
Messages
347
Location
UK
From 1 of the urban explorer photos, at least 1 (of the 12 at Radwell Green) had a gaping hole underneath its engine, with what appears to be quite a bit smashed at the bottom end?
 

Luivery

Member
Joined
5 May 2024
Messages
48
Location
UK
My Photo.
fef94a5b8986c43c3f8e9cb53d4d0472.jpeg
 

Loadhaul60059

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2025
Messages
662
Location
Surrey
60059 I photographed on its first day out as a super 60, past near my home. On another note about 059, I think it had a catastrophic engine failure, last time it ran? I maybe wrong and I hope I am, but remember something happening on it's last day as a runner.
Oh dear, that’s not what I wanted to hear! I see it’s got the ‘F’ designation on TOPS meaning it failed in traffic, but I can’t find anything out about the nature of the failure.
 

cce

Member
Joined
10 May 2018
Messages
79
Painting the strip around and between the lights black really helps the front of a 60 doesn't it? So much smarter.
 

47286Dan

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2018
Messages
2,171
Oh dear, that’s not what I wanted to hear! I see it’s got the ‘F’ designation on TOPS meaning it failed in traffic, but I can’t find anything out about the nature of the failure.
TOPS has 60059 as U status, (Stored Unserviceable)

60059 WQDA TOTON TMD TOTON TMD F U

Dan
 

47286Dan

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2018
Messages
2,171
Thanks! What does the ‘F’ mean before the ‘U’ please? I interpreted that to mean it had failed on its last working.
The F is the commodity code and its meaning is for a ‘light engine’ movement. It would’ve been from one of its last movement and not removed from the system when put into storage.

Here’s an example of the F commodity code from Thursday, both light engine movements.

66077 WBAT TOTON TMD 560D76CV14 F EMIDGWTDB N

66082 WBAT ALEXDK JN 760B24CV14 F MARGAM TC N

Hope this helps

Dan
 
Last edited:

Loadhaul60059

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2025
Messages
662
Location
Surrey
The F is the commodity code and its meaning is for a ‘light engine’ movement. It would’ve been from one of its last movement and not removed from the system when put into storage.

Here’s an example of the F commodity code from Thursday, both light engine movements.

66077 WBAT TOTON TMD 560D76CV14 F EMIDGWTDB N

66082 WBAT ALEXDK JN 760B24CV14 F MARGAM TC N

Hope this helps

Dan
Ah I see, that's useful to know. Thanks for the explanation!
 

Top