• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Engineering works in Slovakia

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex397

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2017
Messages
2,037
Location
UK
Does anyone know where I can find accurate information for potential engineering works in Slovakia?

I have been planning a journey from Bratislava to Košice on 27th October, and a message appears underneath the journeys on the ZSSK website ( https://www.zssk.sk/ ) possibly about a bus replacement service:

Upozornenie!​

Ex 605: V ŽST Žilina nečaká na žiadne prípoje.

Prípojný BUS​

Ex 605: V ŽST Trenčín možnosť prestupu na nadväzný autobusový prípoj smer Trenčianske Teplice

Ex 605: V ŽST Spišká Nová Ves možnosť prestupu na nadväzný autobusový prípoj smer Levoča
Translated to English using Google Translate, it says this:
Warning!
Ex 605: ŽST Žilina is not waiting for any connections.

Connecting BUS
Ex 605: In ŽST Trenčín, the possibility of changing to a connecting bus connection in the direction of Trenčianske Teplice

Ex 605: At the ŽST Spišká Nová Ves, the possibility of transferring to a connecting bus connection in the direction of Levoča
EX605 is the train number. I'm wondering if some of this journey will be replaced by a bus, or connecting rail journeys are replaced by a bus and not the EX605 service.
At those stations mentioned, both have other rail lines which is what this may refer to?

Any insight into what this really means would be appreciated!

EDIT: I may have answered my own question, as Trencianske Teplice and Levoca are both stations at the end of branch lines, so I presume it is these lines which are replaced by a bus.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2014
Messages
2,965
Any insight into what this really means would be appreciated!

I'm pretty sure this refers to connecting journeys. The tram/train (whatever it is) to Trenčianske Teplice is regularly broken, and I suspect this is simply informing travellers that there's the possibility that this line has a bus instead.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,022
EDIT: I may have answered my own question, as Trencianske Teplice and Levoca are both stations at the end of branch lines, so I presume it is these lines which are replaced by a bus.

Yes I'm sure that's what they're saying and it won't affect you.

For the record I don't think there is a rail replacement bus, it's just being helpful and letting you know that you can get a regular bus to reach destinations no longer on the (passenger) railway network.

And for completeness, I think the line to Levoča does have (very) occasional passenger service, and the tramway to Trencianske Teplice now operates limited service as a preserved line (it certainly did a few years ago anyway).
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,990
Location
Airedale
Fear not!

The word to look out for is Vyluka - exclusion, ie line closure.
And NAD = RRB :)
(Both of which may appear at short notice!)
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,758
Location
Up North
Usually, when there's work on the 'core' lines (like this one - arguably the most important line in SK) you'll find that they keep one track open and run the local stuff as buses, then do a warning about extended journey times on long-distance trains.

In any case, I wouldn't worry. Bus replacements (if they do happen) are very well-organised in that part of the world, and usually the entire traincrew will join you on the bus and take over the train waiting at the other end (while another trainload of passengers and crew heads the opposite way).
 

MattSGB

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2023
Messages
121
Location
Smethwick
There is no rail replacement on the line as far as I am aware. I used it extensively a couple of weeks ago and it had the same warnings on the website then. As AdamWW said, that warning about Levoča is bemusing as there are only ever passenger services on a single day for an annual event nearby.
The main line currently has engineering work (track realignment) all over the place where trains have to use a single track, so delays are very common. As well as the amazing mountain scenery (book a seat on the left in the direction of Košice) you should get to see a rather horrific sight at Krompachy when the line slows down through a gypsy settlement.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,990
Location
Airedale
There is no rail replacement on the line as far as I am aware. I used it extensively a couple of weeks ago and it had the same warnings on the website then. As AdamWW said, that warning about Levoča is bemusing as there are only ever passenger services on a single day for an annual event nearby.
As it says, it's advertising rail-road connections - Levoča is a significant tourist destination, as is T.Tepliče. Probably the most significant en route without a rail service.
 

MattSGB

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2023
Messages
121
Location
Smethwick
As it says, it's advertising rail-road connections - Levoča is a significant tourist destination, as is T.Tepliče. Probably the most significant en route without a rail service.

Yes, I understand that. It's probably not helpful that they display yellow warning icons near the the words "Prípojný Bus", which you and I know means "connecting bus" but anyone new looking at it is going to think it means replacement bus. I know Levoča well and I've travelled on that route on one of the rare occasions it had a rail service, they really should reinstate it.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,022
As it says, it's advertising rail-road connections - Levoča is a significant tourist destination, as is T.Tepliče. Probably the most significant en route without a rail service.

Levoča is certainly worth a visit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top