Is there published data from such research?
I read it some years ago, but can‘t find it now. It may have been internal use only, although I thought it had RSSB involvement The research was also looking into increasing the flash speed to increase conspicuity.
The broader point is that almost every railway uses flashing lights at crossings and at similar high hazard obstructions.
So you're going along a nearly empty motorway in lane 2, overtaking a lorry, and you see "red Xs" and wig-wags across all lanes ahead. Are you just going to stop there?
What I'd do if I saw that was think it's likely to be a signalling error and instead pass it, but be slowing down, continue at a low speed in lane 1, and stop at the first suitable safe place to call 999 and report the likely multi-car pileup it would cause).
I would do the same. However I suggest that is not misunderstanding the meaning of the flashing lights.