• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Engineer/Project Engineer roles - what experience is required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitec3

New Member
Joined
16 Oct 2013
Messages
2
Hi all,

As you can see I am new to the forum and I apologise for another newbie style post. I have tried searching for the information I require but couldn't find anything.

I am basically trying to establish what previous career experience/qualifications would be required to work as a project engineer/engineer on the railways.

I have been in the power generation industry since I left sixth form, after completing a year of AS levels. Since then I have completed a 4yr engineering apprenticeship (NVQ3 & HNC achieved during this) and since spent 4 years working as a machinist before moving into office based engineering roles 2.5 years ago. In order to improve my level of qualification I am currently half way through studying towards a BEng (Hons) degree with the Open University, which I intend to complete. I am also a working volunteer at a nearby heritage railway, working in the engineering department.

Given that the vast majority of my experience is mechanical enginering based, do you think it would be possible to transfer this to a role on the railways?

Many Thanks

Chris
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anybody???

It is specifically Network Rail jobs that I have been looking at thus far.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,947
Location
Fenny Stratford
Hi all,

As you can see I am new to the forum and I apologise for another newbie style post. I have tried searching for the information I require but couldn't find anything.

I am basically trying to establish what previous career experience/qualifications would be required to work as a project engineer/engineer on the railways.

I have been in the power generation industry since I left sixth form, after completing a year of AS levels. Since then I have completed a 4yr engineering apprenticeship (NVQ3 & HNC achieved during this) and since spent 4 years working as a machinist before moving into office based engineering roles 2.5 years ago. In order to improve my level of qualification I am currently half way through studying towards a BEng (Hons) degree with the Open University, which I intend to complete. I am also a working volunteer at a nearby heritage railway, working in the engineering department.

Given that the vast majority of my experience is mechanical enginering based, do you think it would be possible to transfer this to a role on the railways?

Many Thanks

Chris
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anybody???

It is specifically Network Rail jobs that I have been looking at thus far.

It should say on the application what the minimum educational requirements are. You will often see a degree in the "optional" section. Even if it doesn't I would stick an application in regardless.

You have varied experience in a mechanical role, (power generation is heavy mechanical engineering, like railways) you are working towards a suitable degree, (that you are funding!) you have spent your own time to improve your education in the past (which suggests initiative and a desire to do a good job) you have time on the tools and as an apprentice which is always useful (in my opinion anyway) and you have worked on the admin side. You have even spent your spare time working on railway vehicles to gain some practical knowledge.

It is all in the CV and application so if you get those right you are half way there. Just apply - what is the worst that can happen?
 

whitec3

New Member
Joined
16 Oct 2013
Messages
2
Thanks for the reply and the comments DarloRich. My main concern is my lack of 'on the job' railway experience and how that would affect my application. Guess Yes I think it would be worth applying like you say and just see what happens.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,947
Location
Fenny Stratford
I had no railway experience when i applied for my job - dont let that stop you! You need to show that you are keen, want to learn and committed to the values of the company you apply to.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,752
Location
Nottingham
From what I hear from people who work for them, some of the project engineers on NR are very junior graduates with little relevant experience at all. So it sounds as though with your experience and interest you would start off better placed than some who are already doing the job.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,947
Location
Fenny Stratford
or on the other hand there are a large number of highly experienced "time served" engineers working on rail vehicles in senior positions. People with years of experience and specialisms relating to their individual fleets working alongside newly qualified people in junior roles. But i am sure you know best.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top