• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

End of the station's word!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2015
Messages
553
Stockport

I have basically no knowledge of closed stations, and since I hadn't seen one in ages, I didn't think looking up if there had been one before.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,484
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Rules
  • Don't put "station" at the end of the post. It's invalid as no station ends in "station" but if it does provide evidence.
  • If the suffix is that of the operator, you can choose to include it or not, e.g. Gare d'Avignon TGV is valid as well as Gare d'Avignon in this case. Please state where you do that.
  • And as such, Tamworth, Tamworth High-Level, and Tamworth Low-Level are all valid where the station does have both high and low level, again please state.
  • The station can be closed or can be from video games/movies, I'm not entirely fussed.
  • Avoid the use of numerals at the end of your answer.
  • It is advisable that only the currently-known station name of any OPEN station should be used in postings on this quiz

May I draw the attention of all contestants to the final and emboldened rule of this quiz.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We're allowed to use closed stations on this quiz.

Not according to the rules of the quiz.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Stockport

Todmorden
 

Quakkerillo

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2015
Messages
553
May I draw the attention of all contestants to the final and emboldened rule of this quiz.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Not according to the rules of the quiz.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes, they can. The thing you boldened is about open stations. For those, use the current name, not any name it previously held.

The station can be closed or can be from video games/movies, I'm not entirely fussed.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,484
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Yes, they can. The thing you boldened is about open stations. For those, use the current name, not any name it previously held.

That final rule was clarified as such in May 2015 by the moderator ainsworth74 (you will see the edit note at the foot of the very first posting of this quiz). It was made with the express wish that only OPEN stations be used in future. Closed stations are NOT allowed. There is no currently open St Andrews station.

I have been looking after this quiz on behalf of VTPreston_Tez ever since he went "on moderation" as that precludes him from accessing the Quizzes and Games Forum.

I have sent a PM to ainsworth74
 
Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,484
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Yes, they can. The thing you boldened is about open stations. For those, use the current name, not any name it previously held.

The moderator ainsworth74 has looked at the rules of this quiz which were in need of clarification and they have now been updated to reflect the recent confusion that had been caused by the originally poor wording.

To reiterate, only OPEN stations are allowed to be used on this quiz.
 
Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
It's a bit strange that we're allowed to use stations from all around the world (and even from film, tv and video games) but we can't have any closed ones over here. I'm not suggesting that we get rid of these, but, all the same, it's an awkward arrangement.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,484
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
It's a bit strange that we're allowed to use stations from all around the world (and even from film, tv and video games) but we can't have any closed ones over here. I'm not suggesting that we get rid of these, but, all the same, it's an awkward arrangement.

If it helps, any closed station from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD is not allowed to be used on this quiz. That rule does just not apply to any stations in Britain.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Morecambe
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
If it helps, any closed station from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD is not allowed to be used on this quiz. That rule does just not apply to any stations in Britain.

I am aware of that; I was pointing out that we can have open ones from all over the world; but no closed ones in our own country. I'm not suggesting we stop using these stations; we have posters all over the world, and some like Springs Branch and Quakkerillo are big Quizzes & Games players; but I was suggesting that we brought closed stations back. But maybe not.
 

Quakkerillo

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2015
Messages
553
I am aware of that; I was pointing out that we can have open ones from all over the world; but no closed ones in our own country. I'm not suggesting we stop using these stations; we have posters all over the world, and some like Springs Branch and Quakkerillo are big Quizzes & Games players; but I was suggesting that we brought closed stations back. But maybe not.

Personally, I'd prefer not. I am already happy that I now recognise a lot of UK station names, if I also had to get used to very vague closed stations! There's a good reason why there's no posts in the 'closed stations journey quiz' from me! :p
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Personally, I'd prefer not. I am already happy that I now recognise a lot of UK station names, if I also had to get used to very vague closed stations! There's a good reason why there's no posts in the 'closed stations journey quiz' from me! :p

Fair enough.

Hartford
 

Top