• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Super Off Peak ticket validity - conflicting info - what is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,315
Hi all - knowledge on this would be appreciated.

EMR (and EMT before it) have/had handy code in column headings of their printed / now pdf only, timetable about when Anytime. Off Peak and Super Off Peak tickets can be used.
Ticket Validity Row with an A, O or S in the column heading

as per this :


Page 4 indicates that the first Super Off Peak ticket valid train from Nottingham is the 09.50 departure (arrives St Pancras 11.27)

Yet journey planner fare sites won't find tickets that are Super Off Peak price
and I see BRFares says:
Outward:​
VALID TO ARRIVE INTO LONDON AFTER 1130 MON-FRI​
Return:​
VALID M-F 1005-1535 & 1847-0015.​

So
a) is the Pdf document published by EMR simply wrong?

b) would a Super OP ticket be accepted on the train?

or
c) am I missing something else
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,402
Location
Bedford
**sigh** restrictions apply to the ticket not the train, those timetables need to be withdrawn.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
The restriction code CI states that the Super Off Peak is not valid on trains timed to arrive London St Pancras International after 04:29 and before 11:29 (so BR Fares has got that wrong). However the published document from EMR is clearly giving written permission to use such a ticket on the 1127 arrival.

What happens if you use the ticket, who knows ... but if you are asked to pay extra EMR should refund that when presented with their own evidence.

If using a Super Off Peak on that train I would choose a paper ticket on the basis that the scanner might well reject an e-ticket if it has been programmed with the data from the Restriction Code whereas most ticket checkers are likely to accept the ticket especially if you can present the EMR document if there is a query. I suspect that at a timetable change the service was retimed to arrive in St Pancras a couple of minutes earlier but no one thought to update the Restriction Code - if so guards etc will be used to Super Off Peak tickets being used on it.
 
Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,575
If using a Super Off Peak on that train I would choose a paper ticket on the basis that the scanner might well reject an e-ticket if it has been programmed with the data from the Restriction Code whereas most ticket checkers are likely to accept the ticket especially if you present the EMR document if there is a query.

You over estimate the intelligence/logic of the scanning software used by most TOCs. Unfortunately most softwares encourage the application of a binary peak/off-peak logic. It relies on the human then actually sense checking the data (e.g. looking up and reading the restriction code) when it flags red.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
You over estimate the intelligence/logic of the scanning software used by most TOCs. Unfortunately most softwares encourage the application of a binary peak/off-peak logic. It relies on the human then actually sense checking the data (e.g. looking up and reading the restriction code) when it flags red.
Fair enough - shouldn't be surprised really. I would still prefer to avoid triggering a red flag.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,315
The restriction code CI states that the Super Off Peak is not valid on trains timed to arrive London St Pancras International after 04:29 and before 11:29 (so BR Fares has got that wrong). However the published document from EMR is clearly giving written permission to use such a ticket on the 1127 arrival.

What happens if you use the ticket, who knows ... but if you are asked to pay extra EMR should refund that when presented with their own evidence.

If using a Super Off Peak on that train I would choose a paper ticket on the basis that the scanner might well reject an e-ticket if it has been programmed with the data from the Restriction Code whereas most ticket checkers are likely to accept the ticket especially if you can present the EMR document if there is a query. I suspect that at a timetable change the service was retimed to arrive in St Pancras a couple of minutes earlier but no one thought to update the Restriction Code - if so guards etc will be used to Super Off Peak tickets being used on it.
Thanks. Helpful info and v plausible explanation. I could ask the train manager before boarding and see what they say.

Somewhat tedious if I then have to wait for the next train.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

So
The restriction code CI states that the Super Off Peak is not valid on trains timed to arrive London St Pancras International after 04:29 and before 11:29 (so BR Fares has got that wrong). However the published document from EMR is clearly giving written permission to use such a ticket on the 1127 arrival.

What happens if you use the ticket, who knows ... but if you are asked to pay extra EMR should refund that when presented with their own evidence.

If using a Super Off Peak on that train I would choose a paper ticket on the basis that the scanner might well reject an e-ticket if it has been programmed with the data from the Restriction Code whereas most ticket checkers are likely to accept the ticket especially if you can present the EMR document if there is a query. I suspect that at a timetable change the service was retimed to arrive in St Pancras a couple of minutes earlier but no one thought to update the Restriction Code - if so guards etc will be used to Super Off Peak tickets being used on it.
ticket bought at ticket office c09.20. At that time not available to buy from vending machine. I wasn’t asked when I was due to use it. But I asked clerk when I could.

I was immediately advised the first train valid was 10.12 departure.

I would have had time to show staff the pdf timetable info but had a fall back to travel on the 09.33 local to Leicester and change into an ex Sheffield service that would arrive in London after 11.29 but not unduly delay me.

My ticket opened ticket gates c09h25.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top