That's excellent news.Not sure if it’s been mentioned already but 360107 is the first unit for refurb and is currently at Northampton Kings Heath. Already stripped out!
I must have been out in the sun too long. Could have sworn I saw 170503 at Spondon. 11.36 Newark to Crewe?Does anyone have any info on which 158/170s are going through refurbishment please? 170503 is at Crewe if I'm correct?
Of course, it's 502 at Crewe! Genuine typo, I promise...I must have been out in the sun too long. Could have sworn I saw 170503 at Spondon. 11.36 Newark to Crewe?

It still could have been the sun. It was rather warm.Of course, it's 502 at Crewe! Genuine typo, I promise...![]()
That's my excuse. You were correct in seeing 503!It still could have been the sun. It was rather warm.
I just kept seeing a Notts and Derby route 19That's my excuse. You were correct in seeing 503!
502 has been back in traffic as week or two! Numbers are slowly going up.Of course, it's 502 at Crewe! Genuine typo, I promise...![]()
170504 is the current unit at Arriva TrainCare Crewe.
Thanks both. Caught up now502 has been back in traffic as week or two! Numbers are slowly going up.
In terms of differing amounts of work that would be needed for each variant?I wonder how different the various types of 170 in the fleet are? In British Rail days, those units within a class seemed identical. A spread of TOCs and much changed.
At least Cross Country benefitted from the centre cars removed from the West Midlands three car units.In terms of differing amounts of work that would be needed for each variant?
The 43 East Midlands Railway (EMR) 170s comprise:
23x 1999-2000-built 2-car 170/5s, built in 1999-2000 and operated by Central Trains until late 2007, then by London Midland (with replaced seat covers) until late 2017, then West Midlands Trains until 2021-2022 (they were actually 17x 2-car and 5x 3-car units and EMR leased the 3-car units as 2-car units, but that doesn't change anything here).
8x 1999-built "phase 1" 3-car and 4x 2002-built "phase 2" 2-car 170/2s, operated by Anglia Railways until 2004, then 'One' / National Express East Anglia until 2012, then Greater Anglia until 2019-2020, then KeolisAmey Transport for Wales Rail Services until 2021, then Transport for Wales Rail Ltd until 2022-2024. These had been refurbished "by" Greater Anglia in 2018.
8x 1999-2001-built 3-car 170/4s. 5 of these were operated only by ScotRail (SR) before coming to EMR (SR National Express until late 2004, First SR until 2015 and Abellio SR until 2020) and I understand that they have the oldest Class 170 interiors, with the seat covers even older and worn than the London Midland seat covers in the unrefurbished 170/5s. The other 3 left ScotRail in 2015 and were converted to 171s for Southern, and though they were refurbished at that point, someone said that the Southern seat covers were poorly applied, over the ScotRail ones.
And had them refurbished!At least Cross Country benefitted from the centre cars removed from the West Midlands three car units.
4. 3 x 170 and 1 x 158. Next 170 is imminent, next 158 in the next couple of weeks.I travel on EMR regional services at least twice a week and have yet to encounter a refurbished unit.
Hopefully the pace of refurbishment will increase as there cannot be many completed yer
The last few times I have been to Leicester I have seen one. If you want to ride one I recommend the Leicester Regional servicesI travel on EMR regional services at least twice a week and have yet to encounter a refurbished unit.
It should be 4 weeks for a 170 once the process is up to speed. The 158s should be quicker as Eastcroft is almost ready to begin doing the refurbs on some of the 158s so that'll be two in at once (Bristol and Eastcroft)I travel on EMR regional services at least twice a week and have yet to encounter a refurbished unit.
Hopefully the pace of refurbishment will increase as there cannot be many completed yer
At that rate the 170s won't all be done before summer 2027, the 158s by late 2026, early 2027?It should be 4 weeks for a 170 once the process is up to speed. The 158s should be quicker as Eastcroft is almost ready to begin doing the refurbs on some of the 158s so that'll be two in at once (Bristol and Eastcroft)
The first 3 car 170s don't start till 2027, runs into 2028. 158s should be done for late next year.At that rate the 170s won't all be done before summer 2027, the 158s by late 2026, early 2027?
See post 534Does anyone know what the refurbishment will be like for the one ex-SWT 158? Assuming they still have that one, of course.
I understood that the former EMR 156s were well past being worth being refurbished. Remember it is the DfT that dictate the number of trains that EMR can operate now . If they say no, it doesn't happen.Overcrowded two carriage services all over EMR, yet they have 156's languishing in sidings at Ely.
What a shambolic situation.
I understood that the former EMR 156s were well past being worth being refurbished. Remember it is the DfT that dictate the number of trains that EMR can operate now . If they say no, it doesn't happen.
The ones with Northern were in far better condition.. Actually worth doing up..We're all aware of that, and plenty of ex EMT 156's are around with Northern, so the idea that they are beyond use is loblocks
It's the DfT we aim to expose.